Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

top 3 favorite movies AND WHY

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-22-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to say why they are your favorites
mine are
1. Pulp Fiction- I enjoyed the "realistic" dialogue and very interesting characters.
2. Psycho 1960- Its still good to watch after multiple viewings as it doesn't lose its punch after seeing it so many times
3. True Romance- Its an ultra violent movie that tells a good story as well, unlike most action orriented movies, that have $hitty acting and plots that most of us could do better.
Old 04-22-03, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1-The Godfather- Great story, great acting, great directing, superb score. Just an absolute classic in every way.
2-Apocalypse Now- Amazing movie about the reality of the chaos that surrounds war. This movie depicts the madness of war better than any other film in my opinion.
3-Goodfellas- An intensely immersive film that takes you into the life of organized crime like no other. Great direction, acting and screenplay as well.
Old 04-22-03, 08:07 PM

well...

1: Seven Samurai- I just love this movie. Can't really explain it... the characters are great, the writing is great, the story is great, the direction is great. I seriously watch this at least once a month, and never get sick of it... ever.

2: Pulp Fiction- The dialouge... the Gold Watch segment clinches the greatness.

3: Chungking Express: My favorite actor (Tony Leung) and my favorite director (Wong Kar Wai). I absolutely love the way this movie looks and sounds.

... wow, it's really hard to narrow down to three movies, and explain why.
Old 04-22-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Forrest Gump - Everything is perfect with this film; even the theatrical trailer. The music, script, and performances are masterfuly done. The final act brings me to tears everytime I watch it.
2. Gladiator - A Grand Epic in every sense of the word. Russell Crowe commands the sceen as Maximus. Hans Zimmer's thundering score has yet to be matched.
3. The Godfather Part II - Al Pacino plays Michael Corleone with a controlled fury that never lets up. Robert De Niro is statuesque as a young Vito Corleone. Michael V Gazzo steals the show as the often hilarious Frankie Pantangeli.
Old 04-22-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only 3 Rypro?

Hmmm ok let's give it a shot.

1- The Godfather. The atmosphere, the acting...Jimmy Caan!!

2- The Deer Hunter. Great cast. A family atmosphere. You felt attached to the characters therefore you felt like sh*t when something bad happened. Chris Walken!!

3- Pulp Fiction. Like I always say... THE DIALOGUE!!!
Old 04-22-03, 09:29 PM
Cool New Member

American Beauty- Everything about this movie is beautiful.

Rain- Portrays a family being torn apart in a beautiful way. Great score by Neil Finn.

Forrest Gump- Great acting, great story, great score, great cimematography, great everything!
Old 04-22-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Notorious - I think it's Hitchcocks best. There's great suspense, but most of all I love how the love story is handled. Grant and Bergman have deep feelings for each other throughout the movie, but almost never make their feelings known. In fact, most of the time they are doing and saying things that are the exact opposite of how they feel- yet the audience has no problem following their real feelings. This makes the love story much more internal and paradoxically more meaningful than the story would've been if they'd been open with each other from the start.

2. Blood Simple - Very tight film with nods to Hitchcock and Sam Rami. Nearly every little detail is accounted for, but none of the characters ever knows the whole story throughout the entire film. It has infinite replay value for me, because I'm constantly trying to get into each character's head to figure out what they know (or think they know) and why they're doing what they're doing. Also it's just fun to pick a prop like the lighter and try to follow it, or count the bullets.

3. Passion of Joan of Arc - Another "internal" film where the audience gets into the characters heads. In fact, with the constant use of closeups, it impossible not to look past the plot and get into the main character's thoughts. Simply beautiful, this silent film conveys more emotion than most of today's films combined.

Simply put, I love a film that lets me get into the character's heads and empathize with what they are thinking. In fact, the trend continues with (4) Amelie, a film in which the title character is an open book, and many character's natures are revealed through a list of 'likes' and 'dislikes' through a narrator, and (5) Being John Malkovich, which takes the idea of 'getting inside the head of an actor' to a literal extreme.

(Edit: because the stupid spellcheck told me to use emphasize instead of empathize.)

Last edited by Tscott; 04-22-03 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
1. Citizen Kane- Inventive, witty, smart, beautifully written, visually dazzling even 60 years later. Plus it still has the single most effective old age make-up I can think of in film history.

2. (tie) Yellow Submarine/ Plan Nine from Outer Space - YS captures all that was great about Beatlemania without including the bitter parts. Excellent Peter Max style animation, great songs, and some of the most quotable dialogue in movie history. PN is also full of heavily quotable dialogue. So inept but so entirely heartfelt at the same time. Perhaps the funniest movie ever, and yet it really does have something important to say.

3. It's a Wonderful Life - Sure it's Capra-corn, but so perfectly cooked, salted and buttered, it just melts in the mouth. The first time I saw it, I fell hard for Donna Reed. Still do each time I see it. The perfect cast in the perfect re-affirmation of just being the best person you can be. Extra plus....its also one of the single darkest films ever made and earns its happy ending. One more extra plus...the phone conversation with Sam Wainwright is one of the great acting moments in film history.
Old 04-22-03, 10:55 PM

1. The Star Wars movies as a whole. I just loved them and they completely revolutionized movies as well as so much else.

2. Grosse Pointe Blank. I just identify with the sense of humor of this movie so well.

3. Ronin. Great action, very subtle non-hollywood type of movie IMO.
Old 04-23-03, 12:02 AM

1. Empire Strike Back
2. Gladiator
3. Seven Samurai

My favorites list changes like the wind. But this is it as of right now.
Old 04-23-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
1. Fight Club - I can't explain why but it just connects with me.

2. Pulp Fiction - Its a perfect movie. It works on so many levels. I can watch it if I'm in the mood for a drama and I can watch it if I'm in the mood to laugh.

3. The Usual Suspects - Its just an incredible movie.

Keep in mind that these are just my 3 favorite movies right now and I have a tendency to change my choices.
Old 04-23-03, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had an interview with hollywood video, and one of the questions was what are your 3 favorite movies and why.
Old 04-23-03, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Godfather II - I & II are so close, but I gotta give it to II. It was just more involved. (And i'm not going to pick I as another top 3, just because i wanted to name the others below)

2. SW Trilogy - hard to not include these.

3. Matrix - No, i'm not one of those nerdy sci-fi guys, i just think that this movie is pure genius. Its not even the special effects or the "acting", i just think that it was amazingly thought out and everytime i watch it, i catch something else i didn't realize/see before.

Very close runners up would be Braveheart, Breakfast Club and Beautiful Girls
Old 04-23-03, 06:50 AM
Cool New Member

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Fantastic film, the chracters and the story are great. Leone's visual style is breathtaking and Ennio Morricones score is amazing.

Taxi Driver Very disturbing but extremly funny. Robert De Niro's performance is excellent and the Travis Bickle character is very interesting.

The Great Silence One of the most pessimistic films I ever seen. Great performances from Klaus Kinski and Jean Louis Trintignante round off an excellent story.
Old 04-23-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. The Matrix - Most complete sci -fi movie ever. Its revolutionary effects were a mere compliment to what was the most genius plot in cinema history. Most movies that have a good plot lack in acting or effects. Good action movies usually suffer in plot. This movie nails all aspects of what a good movie should be. (Subway Showdown = enough said)

2. Goodfellas - The atmosphere of this movie peered into the life of a gangster unlike any other flick. The character development made one dive into this movie to the point where they feel like a member and not a spectator. Its dramatic elements were excellent.

3. Unbreakable - It being the first DVD ever viewed has sentimental value. The twist ending created my vast love for movies of its genre (suspense thrillers). The cold and distant atmosphere perfectly captured the qualties of the main character (David Dunn).

Last edited by gmal2003; 04-23-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-23-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
1) "Donnie Darko" - Two minutes into this movie, I knew I was watching something special. It stayed with me for days. I've watched it about a seven times now (and counting) and get something more out of each each time I see it. That and everyone seems to have a different take on just what the hell happened. Brilliant film!

2) "The Professional" - Used to be number one until "Donnie Darko" came along I love this film because it has everything. It's smart, has sharp direction, great acting and script, nice score and soundtrack, great cinematography. The international cut ("Leon") was even better.

3) "The Rapture" - Little seen film. This is a movie I love watching with others who haven't seen it before. I like to see their reaction. It's also a film you either love it or hate. And even those who do hate it still agree it's a good. It's just very disturbing in parts. I picked this because I think it's extremely well written. And the performances are amazing.

Can I just cheat and list some other all-time favorite titles with no explanation why? They are: "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "Pulp Fiction", "Blade Runner", "About a Boy", "Elizabeth", "Ghost World", "L.A. Confidential", "The Grifters", "Go!", "The Ice Storm", and "Election" (to name a few).
Old 04-23-03, 06:39 PM

Predator awesome action, great story.

The Killer great shootouts, great performance from Chow Yun-Fat

Heat two of the greatest actors Pacino & Deniro, riveting story, bank robbery
Old 04-23-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Searching for Bobby Fischer

The Third Man

The Hustler

Why? Not enough words
Old 04-23-03, 08:06 PM

The Tao of Steve
Boogie Nights
American History X

I simply picked those because I can watch them at any given time. There is much more than that, but that sums it.
Old 04-23-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good Will Hunting
Pulp Fiction
LOTR:FOTR ee
Old 04-23-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shawshank Redemption - Everything about this movie is the best, from the acting to the dialogue to the story to the editing to the music. This is about as perfect of a movie as you can get.

Schindler's List - Nothing Spielberg had done before prepared me for watching this masterpiece. I still remember being 14 and watching this in a theater full of high school kids and just being enraptured with the movie for its 3+ hour running time. The ending just reduces me to tears every time.

Saving Private Ryan - After the opening battle sequence, I knew then that I had seen the best film of 1998 and one of the best of all time. The rest of the movie is icing on the cake. Shame on the Academy for handing the Best Picture award to the much inferior Shakespeare in Love.
Old 04-24-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
1. Star Wars

2. Jaws

3. Superman: The Movie

What can I say? I'm a child of the 70's.
Old 04-24-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) The entire Star Wars Saga
2) Highlander
3) John Carpenter's The Thing
Old 04-24-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm pretty surprised by how many people keep naming the same movies. Also by Forrest Gump as that is my ALL-TIME least favorite movie I've ever seen. But to each their own. I'm sure there are tons that hate my picks. I don't know if I can pick just 3 but I'll try.

Ghostbusters - No joke, in the history of the movies, I think there are maybe, 15, 18 at the most, purely perfect movies EVER made. Ghostuster is one of the first ones on that list. It's the kind of movie that is flawless. Perfomances are all perfect. Special effects are perfect. Writing & story is perfect. It's got action, comedy, sci-fi, horror, drama, romance, & green slime. It has it all & it ages well which is probably the strongest test for a movie.

Jaws - Another of the big 15-18 perfect movies ever filmed. This is weird but there are actually movies I think I like more (Stripes, T2,) but Jaws is probably the most watched movie of my lifetime. And one of the very first movies I remember seeing in my lifetime so that is why it makes the list.

Big Trouble In Little China - Jack Burton is probably my favorite character in film. The off-beat bizarre nature of the movie & underrated simply brilliant script make this unlike any movie ever made. Kurt Russell's line delivery is some of the best I've ever seen. The movie used wire-fu stunts decades before it was the popular thing to do in America & get's no credit for it. As the other 2 on my list, this makes the big 3 b/c I can watch it 1 million times & still never get sick of it.

There are a bunch of honorable mentions I could do, but I hate when people do that when the topic is jut 3 movies. But I must note, that if I saw Lord Of The Rings when I was a kid, & not as an adult. It would easily be one of my 3 favorite movies of all-time. But since I haven't grown up with it as I have with the 3 movies I chose, I have to leave it off the list.
Old 04-24-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

im probably different but my fav movies are ones that just entertain the **** out of me.

1. oceans 11 - great story, acting, funny

2. rush hour - chan and tucker...friggin ruled

3. (tie) transporter and the rock - great action flicks!

honorable mention: matrix, bad boys, usual suspects

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.