Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you DIDN'T like after a 2nd viewing.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you DIDN'T like after a 2nd viewing.

Old 04-22-03, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Wars Episodes I & II, I was so swept up in the hype that I convinced myself that I loved them the 4 or 5 times I saw each of them in the theater. But once they came out on DVD I couldn't even force myself to buy episode I and I own episode II only because I received it as a gift. I can't even begin to explain how sad this really is since I am the biggest damn Star Wars geek in the world.... or maybe I should say used to be.
Old 04-22-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
MEMENTO!!!

Also, American Beauty and Being John Malkovich.
Interesting. All 3 of these movies for me get better and better every time I watch them, especially Being John Malkovich.
Old 04-22-03, 11:12 AM

Bram Stoker's Dracula.

On the big screen I was really impressed with the sets. Then I saw it once at home and found the use of sets frustrating. Way too much emphasis on style. I'll take Werner Herzog's version anyday.
Old 04-22-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Austin Powers 2
Old 04-22-03, 12:37 PM
3Js

Se7en.

On repeat viewings it just seems very gross and of course, all the suspense is gone.

Perhaps this might be true of any suspense based film. It's really just a one shot deal.
Old 04-22-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, not to slam or flame anybody here, but...

ARE YOU ALL OUT OF YOUR FREAKIN' MINDS???

Many of these films I consider to be true cult classics, and I can watch them time after time and see something new each time. Memento, Batman, Sixth Sense, Castaway, Braveheart, American Beauty, Almost Famous...

I know that some of these films rely on surprise and suspense to make their impact, but I can always go back to, say, The Sixth Sense and appreciate the setup and the subtle foreshadowing. Other of the films listed have so much depth and complexity to them that unless you're expecting the movie to have a lot more guns and explosives the second time... I can't imagine how you could get bored watching, say, Braveheart or American Beauty.

For me, there are some films that really need to be seen in a theater. Watching them on the small screen just does not work. An excellent example is Dead Again. I walked out of the theater saying, "Man! This is one great film! I could watch it again and again!" When it came out on VHS and I watched it on the small screen, it was more like, "This is so hokey! I cannot believe that I liked that!"

Spoiler:
Especially the scene at the end with the slow-motion and the giant scissors. That is SO over the top and campy that unless the characters are twenty-two feet high, it just doesn't play.

For me, the ultimate about-face has to be Star Wars, Episode II: Attack of the Clones. I walked out of the theater totally jazzed, fervently believing that I had witnessed a true visual spectacle. I proclaimed the movie one of the best films of the summer -- a point my wife vehemently disagreed with.

When I saw the movie at home on DVD, I was stunned by just how bad everything was. The writing was bad, the storyline made no sense, the acting was bad. The direction was awful, the special effects cheesy and second-rate -- this is the crowning glory of ILM?

Spoiler:
A digital muppet with a light saber somersaulting through the air like a spastic frog hooked to a live electric current?

Horrible, horrible, horrible movie. And then, to make things even worse, I had to go to my wife and admit that she was right all along.

Damn George Lucas. Damn him to hell.
Old 04-22-03, 01:07 PM
Banned

Matrix

I know I might be the only person to think this way about the Matrix, but everytime I watch it, Keanu's acting gets worse and worse. Its really painful at times. When I first saw it, I was completely amazed by the movie. On the second viewing, I still liked it, but something was wrong. On the third viewing, I realized that Keanu is just plain awful as an actor and it has ruined the movie ever since.

Its funny how a bunch of movies already mentioned in this thread are some of my favorites (LOTR, Memento, Donnie Darko, etc).
Old 04-22-03, 01:14 PM

The Crow - I don't know why, but I just can't seem to enjoy it as much as I did the first time around.
Old 04-22-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giles
The Crow - I don't know why, but I just can't seem to enjoy it as much as I did the first time around.
Might have something to do with the untimely death of Brandon Lee?

Quote from Brandon, when asked during filming if he would be signing up for a sequel -- "I need another action movie on my resume like I need a hole in the head."
Old 04-23-03, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Matrix.
I second that, though I don't blame Keanu.

-the backstory just becomes an excuse for the stunts.
-Human bodys produce energy... sure
-innocents can be killed without even thinking
Old 04-23-03, 11:57 AM

The Usual Suspects. Loved it the first time, but the second time through it felt like one big gimmick, and Gabriel Byrne's character just seemed redundant. Contrast this with movies like Memento and Miller's Crossing, where I find something new every time I watch.
Old 04-23-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thomas Crown Affair - Really liked it in the theater, kind of boring once you know the outcome.
Old 04-23-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched Princess Mononoke once.....didnt like it.

Watched it again to make sure I didnt like it.....I ended up really not liking it.
Old 04-23-03, 09:48 PM

Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

The first time I saw it, I left the theater discussing the ending. Once I read that there wasn't any real logic to the final scenes, I found the film to be boring and full of stale acting. I love Tim Burton, but this is his only DVD that I can't bring myself to buy.