Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do heavy theater crowds only show up for midnight showings?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-18-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to go to the senator movie theater opening weekend to see matrix reloaded and was just wondering if we are gonna have freaks in costumes, guys yelling out every other line, or such. I just wanna go and enjoy the movie with a big crowd.
Old 04-18-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont know. except for 4 times in the last 10 years, I've stopped seeing a film with more than maybe 2 people. it only takes 1 to screw up my atmosphere. for me, I'll wait for the dvd.
when I did go to a theater, I made sure it was noon on a weekday, when all the punks were in school, and the freaks were still slepping off thier drug and booze hangovers.

good luck.
Old 04-19-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The only problem with your advice Gutwrencher is that Rypo-pg13 is one of those punks who will be at school at noon on a weekday..

Rypro, Big crowds always is a risk. You don't know who will be in the theater to screw it up. As for your concern, I doubt many folks will be dressed up for this. You can expect the usual matrix fans in black of course. Have you never seen a midnight show? further more doesn't your city have a curfew for minors?

I can picture some far off forum starting a thread titled:

"Do heavy theater crowds of guys trying to get to some bases on their girlfriends show up to midnight showings?"

P.S. Matrix opens on a thursday.
Old 04-19-03, 12:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I imagine the crowd for any showing of Matrix Reloaded will have quite a few "heavy" people in the crowd.
Old 04-19-03, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just at a midnight show of Pink Floyd:The Wall.

Two guys wearing Floyd shirts. That's as "freaky" as it got.
Old 04-19-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me tell you something about midnight showings. As you know, these showings are geared for the real geeks, the die-hards, the ones who have been scrounging the internet day and night for months looking for any tidbit of gossip about the big, super hyped blockbusters like The Matrix, LOTR, or Star Wars. In other words, these are the true fans. The result is an entirely different atmosphere than what you will find at any other showing. The midnight goers take the movie very seriously. Yes, they may dress up. Yes, they may act out their favorite scenes in the parking lot. And yes, they will probably cheer and scream during the trailers. But let me tell you, the moment the first second of the first reel of the actual film starts, you won't hear a peep for the next two hours (well, excluding any bursts of applause and cheers). There could be 500 people in the theater. But between the cheers, it will be quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

At least, that has been my experience.

Last edited by caiman; 04-19-03 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, I was going on like the saturday the movie comes out, and was wondering if I should still expect the rowdy crowds.
Old 04-19-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
No, you should expect the saturday night couples that will go to the theater in most cases be cool, in most others, will be making out throughout the whole thing. If I had my pick, I would rather go weekdays at midnight, atleast that way I know the folks there wont have girlfriends to be making sucking face noise with.

General rules:

First day Midnight = Hardcore fans who will add to a crowd feel without totally distroying your enjoyment.

Friday or Saturday night = Couples and general public who have nothing better to do for that time span on a saturday night.
Old 04-19-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I went to Episode II at midnight it was pretty fun. They didnt ruin the experience. Actually it was probably the best experience I've had at a movie theatre. It was really fun. They cheered at the Matrix trailer, there was cheering when the Star Wars logo first popped up, there was some applause when Yoda pulled out his lightsaber, and they cheered at the end. Nothing really to mess up the feeling of that movie.
Old 04-19-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

crazy me a river
Old 04-20-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TTT was probably the only midnight show I've ever been to and it was honestly pretty disapointing. I was actually hoping there'd be a few costumed fanboys, but all we got were normal high school and college kids with their dates. Theater was packed in spite of the fact that it was showing on three screens, they let us in ninety minutes early so I was stuck in my seat for about four hours, and the crowd was generally pretty boring. Think next time I'll just pass and catch a matinee.
Old 04-20-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The Star Wars AotC crowd was a great theater experience, something about being around geeks that cheer and get rowdy is fun, the two scenes that blew the roof off the theater was when Mace Windu and all the Jedi came to the arena, and of course Yoda. I was disappointed at the LotR TTT crowd since they pretty much sat on their hands, and when anybody would cheer a paticular scene or character the whole audience hushed them.
Old 04-20-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was just at the Saturday showing of Pink Floyd: The Wall.

Stillness.

Not a bloody cellphone.

Just reverence.

Now THEY'RE fans. (Then again, it's hardly a cheers-inducing film!)
Old 04-20-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always go to the midnight showing of any movie I've been anticipating for a while - the major recent ones have been FotR, TTT, Blade II, Resident Evil, Jason X, AotC, etc. With all of them, the seats were packed(except for Jason X, which was almostpacked, which was still a lot of frickin people), and definitely the best times I've ever had seeing movies. With the exception of Blade II, there were no idiots that ruined the movies for me, and everyone was satisfied at Blade II when the men in blue came in at the start of the movie and removed the group of thugs who were acting out(had been yelling inappropriate comments to various people in the theater): "Thug(to cop): Damn mothaf***a, I paid my $7.50 too! Get off my sh*t!" "Officer: So did all of these other people, and you're wasting their money. Let's go."
It always seems I encounter the idiots at the shows that start soon after school lets out, around 9pm, or at budget theaters.
Old 04-20-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by caiman
But let me tell you, the moment the first second of the first reel of the actual film starts, you won't hear a peep for the next two hours (well, excluding any bursts of applause and cheers). There could be 500 people in the theater. But between the cheers, it will be quiet enough to hear a pin drop.
That is why I see most of my films at the midnight show. X-Files and Episode 1 were the two movie going experiences I will NEVER forget. They were great. I don't normally go to the movies since it's cheaper to buy the DVD but when I really like I film it's the midnight showing.....or nothing.
Old 04-20-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best movie experience I ever had was the Wednesday late night showing of Matrix on opening day. Everyone who was there, was there to see the film, because your average joe blow was witing for the weekend. Everyone was applauding during the fight scenes and it was just a great experience, enough to make us go back the next night.