Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What Happened to John McTiernan?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What Happened to John McTiernan?

Old 07-12-10, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: John McTiernan Gets 6 Months in Prison

Good, I hope he gets his time in, gets out and back to making movies. It's been 7 years since we've had a movie from him and that's far too long. Rollerball aside, he's always been a director who puts out a movie that's fun at the very least.
Old 07-12-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Good, I hope he gets his time in, gets out and back to making movies. It's been 7 years since we've had a movie from him and that's far too long. Rollerball aside, he's always been a director who puts out a movie that's fun at the very least.
The man has to get back to work.

On a related note, its kind of funny how he remade 2 Norman Jewison films in about 3 years, each to different results (The Thomas Crown Affair = Pretty enjoyable caper; Rollerball = Holy hell, fucking awful)
Old 07-12-10, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope so as well, maybe a studio like Lionsgate might be able to help him, clearly someone with a movie like the original Die Hard on his CV couldn't get another directing gig.
Old 07-12-10, 11:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He...also did Predator.

on topic: Jesus..I didn't know about this wire tapping shit. Damn.
Old 07-13-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now he'll hopefully have time to check out the DNRed waxy Predator Ultimate Edition blu-ray and let people know what he thinks about what Fox did to it...
Old 10-04-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sentenced today to 1 year in prison, per IMDb;

The Die Hard and Predator director has just been sentenced to a year in prison for his part in the Anthony Pellicano illegal wiretapping case. Basically what this boils down to is that McTiernan knowingly hired a private detective who used illegal wiretaps to gather information and lied when asked about it by investigators.
Old 10-04-10, 05:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

What kind of battery was used to power the wiretaps I wonder?
Old 10-04-10, 05:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
What kind of battery was used to power the wiretaps I wonder?
oh, i get it...because he directed Die Hard, as in DieHard ™ battery. laughing about a pretty fine directors' incarceration where there is potential for him to get man-raped by a sexual...Predator (GoldenJCJ). funny. funny!!

Spoiler:

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-04-10 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-04-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

You mean by a sexual....predator?
Old 10-04-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Guy was one of the finest directors of action. Predator, Die Hard, The Hunt for Red October, Die Hard: With a Vengeance, 13th Warrior (underrated) and The Thomas Crown Affair are all first rate.
Old 10-05-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

He's supposed to have a movie coming out next summer called The Camel Wars.

An Iraqi-American soldier is sent to fight in the Iraq war and has to choose between his conscience and his country, while coming to terms with a centuries-old civil war.
I wonder if it will get delayed until he's released. There isn't much info about it. Edit: yeah, now I see it isn't in production.
Old 02-13-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

John McTiernan is in jail while John Landis is scott free

How did that happen? The one who barely did shit ends up in the shitter while the one who actually DID someone is on interviews laughing it up recounting his good ol days on Animal House.

It's a crazy business as Tony would say.

Last edited by duff beer; 02-13-14 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-13-14, 02:33 AM
Suspended

Re: John McTiernan is in jail while John Landis is scott free

I saw a documentary about the John Landis situation, he didn't exactly get off scott free and it was an accident. It just made them enforce child labor/safety laws more in Hollywood. There's supposedly footage of the accident.
Old 02-13-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

With the garbage those 2 have made in the last 20 years they should both be in prison.
Old 02-13-14, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

You can edge blame onto others when it's a set accident, you can't do the same when you're lying under oath.

Plus lets face it, McTiernan isn't in a real prison. Hell even the homepage looks like it's for a college: http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/yan/
Old 02-13-14, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

I think John Landis has more than paid...when was the last time he made anything significant or remotely entertaining?
Old 02-13-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Plus lets face it, McTiernan isn't in a real prison. Hell even the homepage looks like it's for a college: http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/yan/
Hey - let's all send John some email! Anyone want to try on behalf of the group and see if we get a reply?

JOHN MCTIERNAN
Register Number: 43029-112
Race: White
Sex: Male
Located at: Yankton FPC
Released Date: 04/01/2014
Old 02-13-14, 09:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hey - let's all send John some email! Anyone want to try on behalf of the group and see if we get a reply?

Released Date: 04/01/2014
He gets out pretty soon, if Fox had any brains they'd hire him for the next inevitable Die Hard since he'll prob need the $$$
Old 02-13-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by duff beer
How did that happen? The one who barely did shit ends up in the shitter while the one who actually DID someone is on interviews laughing it up recounting his good ol days on Animal House.

It's a crazy business as Tony would say.
Are you trying to be someone you are not?
Old 02-13-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

McTiernan got screwed by the government.

Last edited by Tarantino; 02-13-14 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-13-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Well, Landis did have Spielberg by his side during the proceedings. Twilight Zone The Movie was a Spielberg production, I believe. That gets you the best legal representation money can buy. Even in the 80's.
Old 02-13-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
I saw a documentary about the John Landis situation, he didn't exactly get off scott free and it was an accident. It just made them enforce child labor/safety laws more in Hollywood. There's supposedly footage of the accident.
I've seen some of the footage. You can't really see much except the helicopter blades splashing down right on top of Vic Morrow and the kids. The water they were in hides most of the carnage.

It sounds like there were some safety precautions that should have been taken during filming and I'm not sure where most of the blame went but I assume the studio takes out insurance policies to cover just such events. It was an unfortunate situation but I wouldn't have placed the blame on Landis either.
Old 02-13-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I've seen some of the footage. You can't really see much except the helicopter blades splashing down right on top of Vic Morrow and the kids. The water they were in hides most of the carnage.

It sounds like there were some safety precautions that should have been taken during filming and I'm not sure where most of the blame went but I assume the studio takes out insurance policies to cover just such events. It was an unfortunate situation but I wouldn't have placed the blame on Landis either.
I saw the footage of it too for the first time a couple of years ago. You're right, couldn't see anything... thank goodness. I felt so uneasy watching it since it had been a huge taboo kind of story when I was growing up.
Old 02-13-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I've seen various pieces of footage of the accident. In one, one can see a bit more. As for Landis, as I recall, people were encouraging him to stop shooting that night because of the poor conditions and late hour (2 am), but he forged ahead without regard. Also, I believe he was quite insouciant at the trial, rather than remorseful or at least earnest.
Old 02-13-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There were people warning Landis not to set off explosives so close to a hovering helicopter - he ignored them. There were others that suggested he not put the children or Morrow in that shot (and to use dummies or even stuntmen), and he ignored that too. So there's some gross negligence here, but I'm still not sure it reaches the criminal level.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.