DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Is Leon the Professional that good? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/286869-leon-professional-good.html)

Rypro 525 04-17-03 10:25 PM

Is Leon the Professional that good?

The only thing I know about this movie is that Natalie Portman was just like 15 when this was made and most of the sexual stuff between her and the lead male had to get cut but is now on the dvd?

Can someone give me a quick spoiler free plot synopsis, and is it really that good (its got an 8.3 on imdb)

Deckard-10 04-17-03 10:50 PM

From DVD Profiler:

Calling himself a "cleaner" the mysterious Léon is New York's top hitman. When the next door neighbors are murdered, Léon becomes the unwilling guardian of the family's sole survivor - 12 year old Mathilda. But Mathilda doesn't just want protection, she wants revenge. Training her in the deadly tricks of his trade, Léon helps her track the psychotic agent who murdered her family.

...and yes, it's that good. &nbsp :)

DVD Smurf 04-17-03 10:54 PM

Yup...I remember seeing this in the theater and I ended up go back and see it twice... :)

inVectiVe 04-17-03 11:08 PM

I've seen it, possibly more than once. Was a few years ago, too. But IIRC, I'd peg this movie somewhere in the range of "outrageously overrated" to "preposterously overrated."

Which isn't to say I hated it, mind you. But an 8.3 on IMDB? I think I'll go over there and give it a bunch of zeros to drag it down a bit. :grunt: -ptth-

Seriously, though, just keep in mind that, as with any highly praised film, there are those who fail miserably to see what all the fuss is about. I'm one of them. You might be too. :)

Edit: Not that it matters at this point, but I'm pretty sure what I saw was the "inferior" version. So there's that, coupled with the fact that the replies so far have been roughly 98% "Yes it *is* that good!" Translation: I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :(

the von haze 04-17-03 11:55 PM

This film deserves every bit of its high rating. You will find yourself drawn in by the moving story, Jean Reno's vulnerable loner of a hit man, Natalie Portman's brilliant precocity, Gary Oldman's tweaked-out policeman character, and the beautiful photography of NYC. It has the linear structure and good guy/bad guy comforts of an 'easy to get' movie, but with acting and photography at art-school level. Buy it and enjoy on many levels, you should get at least two plays out of it.

karnblack 04-18-03 12:06 AM

It makes 'Speed' look like a slow ride to grandma's house!

Daytripper 04-18-03 12:08 AM

I need to go find the review for the film on one of the five DVD sites I read religously. In it, they call the film "perfect". I agree.

Fok 04-18-03 12:26 AM

Awesome film, one of my favourites. Powerfull story and some good action. If you buy it, make sure you get the uncut version (2nd release)

WiccanPagan 04-18-03 12:32 AM

(only word needed) yes.

chase3001 04-18-03 01:14 AM

This movie is really, really, really good. This and Fifth Element are what got me hooked on Luc Besson.

DonnachaOne 04-18-03 01:19 AM

It is my favourite film. And I've seen a lot of films from a lot of countries from a lot of past years.

Just watch it. Rent it first, if you're unsure - or just buy the DVD, it'll be very easy to exchange in the offchance you dislike the film.

jfoobar 04-18-03 02:01 AM

Originally posted by karnblack
It makes 'Speed' look like a slow ride to grandma's house!
:lol:

I'd have to say this film is slightly overrated, but only because I have seen it 5-6 times now over the past few years. I do remember adoring it the first time I saw it.

I'll put it this way: It is much better than Boondock Saints. :)

zero 04-18-03 02:50 AM

What!?!?!

A Leon thread and no sign of Jackskeleton? Something is afoot here.

Back to topic, yes this movie rules! :)

eedoon 04-18-03 04:05 AM

Go watch it and you won't regret it.

Jackskeleton 04-18-03 07:00 AM

The fact that it has Bjork in the films soundtrack gets this film a higher rating in my book. ;)

wendersfan 04-18-03 07:44 AM

It's one of my wife's favorite movies. I think it's great, too. I've lent out my copy, so I guess you'll have to go rent it somewhere.

matome 04-18-03 07:48 AM

Probably my fave movie of all time. 8.3 is too low for it on IMDB.

marty888 04-18-03 07:59 AM

Stylish, gritty, compelling, complex ....yeah, it's <b>that</b> good and more.

renaldow 04-18-03 08:52 AM

It's a good movie. I think Oldman and Reno hit their peaks with this movie, possibly Besson too.

AGuyNamedMike 04-18-03 09:44 AM

Excellent film. It may clash with some tastes because of Besson's foreign style and pacing, but I enjoyed it immensely. Try to find the version titled Leon for the reinsertion of the sensitive scenes showing
Spoiler:
Mathilda's growing amorous interest in Leon
. Jean Reno is riveting, Miss Portman is adorable, and Gary Oldman gives his typical off-beat but perfect performance.

Maryang Palad 04-18-03 09:48 AM

Just buy it. You won't be disappointed.

greatjedi 04-18-03 09:54 AM

I bought this as a blind buy, and I have to say it's probably the best blind purchase I've made yet. And I've made a lot. :D

You'll be doing yourself a favor by picking this one up. (I mean the uncut international version of course.)

Cusm 04-18-03 10:04 AM

Re: Is Leon the Professional that good?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
and is it really that good (its got an 8.3 on imdb)

No. It is better.

Filmmaker 04-18-03 12:50 PM

Finger lickin'

martinp 04-18-03 12:57 PM

Just make sure you get the international version. It is alot better IMHO.