Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

56th Festival de Cannes (2003)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

56th Festival de Cannes (2003)

Old 05-25-03, 03:43 PM
Sem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
After reading Ebert's review it appears that Chloe Sevigny sucks Gallo's dick in a hardcore scene in Brown Bunny. How was this achieved? Did they really do it?
Nuh, the dick was chalk-drawn...
Old 05-25-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats to Gus Van Sant! Quite a smashing victory.
Old 05-27-03, 11:19 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if I'm more shocked that Dogville was shut out or that Elephant won the top prize.

Well I'm looking forward to seeing all the award-winners along with:
Dogville
Father and Son
Mystic River
Swimming Pool

And as for the films out of competition, looks like Amercian Splendor got a lot of buzz. And of course I have to see the Haneke one, Le Temps du Loup.
Old 05-27-03, 11:59 AM

The films I want to see the most:

The Time of the Wolf (Haneke)
Father and Son (Sokurov)
The Tulse Luper Case Pt. I (Greenaway)
At Five in the Afternoon (Makhmalbaf)
Uzak (Ceylan)
La Meglio Gioventu (Giordana)
Crimson Gold (Panahi)
A Thousand Months (Bensaidi)
Japanese Story (Brooks)
The Brown Bunny (Vincent Gallo)

Note the absence of "Dogville", "Elephant", and "The Barbarian Invasion". Along with stuff like "The Mother", "Young Adam", "American Splendor", ad nauseum.

One last note, from The Guardian:

"A special mention now has to go to Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny, the most hysterical event in Cannes history. Gentlemen in England now abed will think themselves accursed that they were not there to see it, especially as it may never see the light of day again. Gallo wrote, produced, edited, directed, shot and of course starred in this magnificently self-indulgent home-movie about a broodingly handsome guy driving across America to compete in motorbike races, and obsessed with his past love, Chloë Sevigny. It was hooted off the screen at its official showing, and Gallo officially apologised to everyone for ever having made it, an act of self-laceration that made us fall in love with him all over again. And yet, The Brown Bunny (that title!) is so autistic, so painfully sincere that it goes off the so-bad-it's-good scale into something else entirely. Gilbert Adair has an essay on Abel Gance's derided turkey from 1943, Blind Venus, about a blind cafe singer who is ferried back and forth across the harbour by a besotted sea captain, wafting various exotic smells across her face to convince her that she is "seeing" the world. It is so sublimely crazy that you can't help admiring it, says Adair. The same might go for Vincent and his heartbreaking bunny rabbit. Let's hope he can be persuaded to let it be shown at this summer's Edinburgh film festival."
Old 05-27-03, 01:16 PM

Where would you rather be a gay man? Colombia or America?

Where would you rather be an immigrant laborer? Yugoslavia or America?

Where would you rather be a woman? Africa or America?

Where would you rather be a non-asian on vacation? Tokyo or Washington DC?

Where would you rather be a Christian? China or America?

Where would you rather be a Wiccan? Iran or America
And where would you rather want to be a female country artist with her own political views? America or Canada? But enough with the tolerance issue.

I am waiting impatiently for "Elephant" to be released here. "Dogville", I just don't know. It may be too "artsy" for me. "Barbarian invasion" is great (Miramax bought the rights so it will be released in the US). As for "Brown Bunny", I guess it would be better if no one mentionned the film ever again but I also guess that all the banter will draw attention toward it.
Old 05-27-03, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
The films I want to see the most:

The Time of the Wolf (Haneke)
Father and Son (Sokurov)
The Tulse Luper Case Pt. I (Greenaway)
At Five in the Afternoon (Makhmalbaf)
Uzak (Ceylan)
La Meglio Gioventu (Giordana)
Crimson Gold (Panahi)
A Thousand Months (Bensaidi)
Japanese Story (Brooks)
The Brown Bunny (Vincent Gallo)

Note the absence of "Dogville", "Elephant", and "The Barbarian Invasion". Along with stuff like "The Mother", "Young Adam", "American Splendor", ad nauseum.
Why are you skipping those three in particular? They're among the most acclaimed at the festival.

Interesting that now critics are feeling sorry for Gallo
Old 05-27-03, 10:31 PM
Banned

And where would you rather want to be a female country artist with her own political views? America or Canada? But enough with the tolerance issue.

Gag me. She wasn't too "toleant" of the majority of her country's opinion though...was she?
Old 05-27-03, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Scot1458

Gag me. She wasn't too "toleant" of the majority of her country's opinion though...was she?
That's getting quite off-topic but since you ask me, I'll tell you what I think.

I think that she only gave an opinion. She did not tell anyone else what they should think. She did not send death threats to anyone who did not think like her. She didn't even burn a single record from one of her pro-war colleagues.

Tolerance is not about everybody acting and thinking the same way you do. It's about accepting that others don't act, think, believe or live like we do and respecting their right to do so. The fact that you wrote the above line simply demonstrates that you don't even know the meaning of the word.

Now, could we get back on the topic of Cannes please?
Old 05-28-03, 07:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what studio is releasing "Elephant" here in the states?
Old 05-28-03, 11:28 AM

Here's a low down on all the movies that US companies bought the rights for:

Elephant - HBO Films
American Splendor - HBO Films
Dogville - Lions Gate
The Barbarian Invasion - Miramax
Japanese Story - Samuel Goldwyn
Uzak - New Yorker
Osama - United Artists
Swimming Pool - Focus Features
The Undertow (David Gordon Green) - United Artists
Old 05-28-03, 10:55 PM

I noticed that HBO bought the right to a couple of those films. Does it mean that they'll go straight to tv or do we have a chance of ever seeing them on the big screen?
Old 05-29-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
HBO produced both American Splendor & Elephant so they didn't have to buy the rights.
Old 05-29-03, 09:58 AM
Banned

Now, could we get back on the topic of Cannes please?

I responded to another post, don't blame me.

That's getting quite off-topic but since you ask me, I'll tell you what I think.

We didn't ask, but ok.

I think that she only gave an opinion. She did not tell anyone else what they should think. She did not send death threats to anyone who did not think like her. She didn't even burn a single record from one of her pro-war colleagues.

And her fans and others gave her THEIR opinion..... Here's a secret...Free Speech is for everybody! Live it, Love it, Learn it!

Now getting back to Cannes, can't wait to see Brown Bunny!
Old 05-29-03, 10:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you'd have to be a masochist to endure "Brown Bunny"
Old 05-29-03, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nice_skis
Why would anyone who was a country artist want to be anywhere BUT from America? You've got to be American to have any kind of credit in the country music scene. No one wants to listen to a foriegn country singer. That'd be like listening to a rapper from Newport, Rhode Island.
Old 05-29-03, 10:51 AM
MrN

You've got to be American to have any kind of credit in the country music scene. No one wants to listen to a foriegn country singer.
Isn't Shania Twain Canadian?
Old 05-29-03, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by MrN
Isn't Shania Twain Canadian?
I'm not even a country fan and I can tell she's a sell out. She sold out to top 40 by recording "pop" versions of all her songs. She sucks.

BTW, I think it's the final testament of how much Cannes sucked and how little interest there is in these films that we've gotten so off track. Sorry to have hijacked.
Old 05-29-03, 01:30 PM

No, I think it's a testament that people are more anxious about voicing off their insiginificant political views and controversies rather than concentrate on films. THAT is why this year's Cannes sucked.

And this goes for everyone: people on this board to people like Lars von Trier and Todd McCarthy.
Old 05-29-03, 02:19 PM
Banned

Very good point.