Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are The Matrix sequels the reason for no Harry Potter this year?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think it is. WB says it's so the child actors can get caught up with their schooling, but I believe that it's because Matrix Revolutions is scheduled for November and WB doesn't want any competiton among its two cash cows.

IMO, if there were no Matrix movie, we would be having another Harry Potter.
Old 04-16-03, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL,

Actually, it's not. Director Alfonso Cuaron needs more time to finish the film. Coming off the heels of Chris Columbus's departure of the series, he needs more time to make sure the final product was up to standard...he doesn't have the experience of making the first two in order to make a third one in such a short time.

It makes little sense for WB to delay it for fear of competition, if they had the one two punch at the box office this holiday season I'm sure they'd think the more the merrier. These two films aren't really direct competitors, one's R and one's PG, they cater to 2 different crowds, although a lot of adults will watch both. And if it's the holiday season, people go watch movies all the time anyways, so I don't really buy the Matrix argument. Reloaded certainly hasn't hindered the release of all the other big summer movies this year.

Last edited by UKingdom; 04-16-03 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UK makes a good point. One is R and the other PG. so why would they be competition to each other and in other words, why wouldn't WB want to cash in on the Whole market in general by releasing both and having a strong grip on ALL age groups in the theaters this holiday season. I would rather much buy the excuse that with a new director things wont be as easy to get done as they were if Chris columbus was at the helm of the series still.
Old 04-16-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I was under the impression that the 3rd Potter movie was going to be held off for a year before Columbus announced he would not be doing the third.
Old 04-16-03, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
doing a Potter movie a year for the rest of the series is an extremely ambitious schedule. I doubt it if they could do that.

I also doubt if WB would intentionally delay either the Matrices or HP except for the quality of the product.
Old 04-16-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why they didnt go ahead and make the films in a row after the success of the first film to stay off the obvious aging of the kids is beyond me. I think theyre getting it together with pt 3and 4 though.
Old 04-16-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I've heard is that Chris Columbus wanted to take some time off and stay with his family for awhile. Also, I heard that the studio wanted the kids to rest up--it's been almost 3 years since they have had a break, and that's a lot for a 12 or 13 year old. I have no problem with the delay because I've got The Hulk, The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, and LOTR:ROTK to tide me over. Also Book 5 is out this summer as well, so I will have plenty of Harry Potter until next summer.
Old 04-16-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
Also Book 5 is out this summer as well, so I will have plenty of Pot until next summer.
Cool man!!
Old 04-16-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
And just FYI, they began shooting Harry Potter 3 last month and it will be released next Summer.
Old 04-16-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sherm42
And just FYI, they began shooting Harry Potter 3 last month and it will be released next Summer.
Breaking tradition from the Holiday patterns I guess?
Old 04-16-03, 11:06 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Tinfoil hats! Black helicopters! Oh no!
Old 04-16-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Are The Matrix sequels the reason for no Harry Potter this year?

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I think it is. WB says it's so the child actors can get caught up with their schooling, but I believe that it's because Matrix Revolutions is scheduled for November and WB doesn't want any competiton among its two cash cows.
If that were the case.. would there be no LOTR:ROTK?
Old 04-16-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I understand no other movies will be released this year because of the Matrix sequels.
Old 04-16-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 04-16-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by harosa
Why they didnt go ahead and make the films in a row after the success of the first film to stay off the obvious aging of the kids is beyond me.
Because in the books the childern are suppose to age from book to book..
Old 04-16-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Regarding the aging of the kids, book one starts out with them at 11, by the third book/film which is filming now, Harry starts the year out at 13. According to IMDB, Daniel Radcliffe was born on July 23, 1989 which means he is 13 right now, soon to be 14. Emma Watson turned 13 on April 15, and Rupert Grint is the oldest at 14, turning 15 on August 24th.

Could it be that our view of what they should look like is skewed? I know that reading the books, I kept imagining them as young, but the truth is that they will be 18 years old by the seventh book/film. I think that in reality, they look pretty much as they should.
Old 04-16-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I understand no other movies will be released this year because of the Matrix sequels.