DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   KNIGHT RIDER Feature Film Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/286196-knight-rider-feature-film-discussion-thread.html)

harosa 04-12-04 05:32 PM

As long as the car is kick ass and tha actor is decent, c'mon, Affleck can be good sometimes, then this movie should be semi-cool.

Michael Corvin 04-12-04 05:56 PM

I can see Affleck as Michael Knight. Why not?

DonnachaOne 04-12-04 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Please don't ever joke around with that friend again. It can lead to deadly outcomes.
Could be worse. Me and a friend used to joke about a possible Knight Rider movie with Ashton Kutcher.

devilshalo 04-12-04 06:00 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Could be worse. Me and a friend used to joke about a possible Knight Rider movie with Ashton Kutcher.
Uh, Dude, Where's My Car?

LasVegasMichael 04-12-04 06:00 PM

I definately could see Affleck as Knight. They got the voice for Kit squared away so all is good. This will tie in well with the DVD release (granted the DVDs are coming MUCH sooner then the film).

Glad they broke up, so we don't have put up with any token J-Lo scenes.

Goldberg74 04-12-04 06:04 PM

Originally posted by LasVegasMichael
Glad they broke up, so we don't have put up with any token J-Lo scenes.
What, you don't want her to play the smart, sexy mechanic Bonnie? ;)

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm glad William Daniels is back as the voice of K.I.T.T. :)
Fixed.

Two 'T's Jack... Knight Industries Two Thousand.

Let's just hope they change the name of the people they worked for... F.F.L.A.G. (Foundation For Law And Government). And don't forget K.A.R.R. (Knight Automated Roving Robot)!

FWIW, I hate acronyms! ;)

Abob Teff 04-12-04 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
FWIW, I hate acronyms! ;)
IHA2. Come on! JLo's butt could play the air bag in K.I.T.T.!

Robert 04-12-04 06:48 PM

I'll take the uber-sexy David Hasselhoff over that A$$fleck any day!!!

-rolleyes-

fumanstan 04-12-04 07:10 PM

Cool. I like Affleck, i can see him driving KITT around.

DouglasRobert 04-12-04 07:20 PM

Paul Walker as Michael Knight.

Just kidding!!!

Dr. DVD 04-12-04 07:26 PM

Maybe Hasselhoff will make a cameo for a torch passing. I would not consider the movie complete unless it at least has a cameo or brief mention about the development of KARR. Never figured out why they made him in the first place though.
I also think they should have the memorable scene of KITT getting dumped into a pool of toxic waste.
"Michael, help me!" :D

Darkfriend 04-12-04 07:38 PM

Jason Mewes should be the voice of K.I.T.T.

Imagine the vulgar comedic interactions with Affleck!!

Regurgitator 04-12-04 08:15 PM

Come on.. Affleck as Michael Knight?

Why not Seann William Scott or better known as Stifler, the Stiffmeister?

I can see it now Stifler at the helm steering KITT.... hehe... :P

Goldberg74 04-12-04 08:40 PM

Originally posted by DouglasRobert
Paul Walker as Michael Knight.
Why not have Ben Affleck as the pre-accident Michael Long and Paul Walker as the post-surgery Michael Knight.

Problem solved!

redinger 04-13-04 11:05 AM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Dude, Where's My K.A.R.R.?
fixed.

iggystar 04-13-04 11:12 AM

But..I thought he wasn't doing action movies anymore. Didn't he make that announcement like last week.

scott shelton 04-13-04 01:36 PM

It ain't so

Trigger 04-13-04 01:46 PM

I think Paul Walker would make a better Michael than Affleck... not such a bad idea really. Or maybe the guy who starred in Dark City... Rufus Sewell?

RocShemp 04-13-04 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Maybe Hasselhoff will make a cameo for a torch passing.
They'll probably have Hasselhoff as pre-op Michael and Ben Affleck will be post-op Michael.

I would love to see K.A.R.R. but wonder if they'd even bother. I can dream, though. And they better not update K.I.T.T. in any way. I hated what they did in Knight Rider 2000. The Knight Industries Three Thousand will never be K.I.T.T. to me, regardless of the fact that the acronym still fits.

moviefan2k4 09-04-13 07:18 PM

KNIGHT RIDER Feature Film Discussion Thread

http://knightrideronline.com/wiki/fe...r_banner_2.jpg

Hey, all.

I've been a fan of this show for many years, but the 2008 reboot series completely sucked. The tech was cool, and Val Kilmer did a nice job, but the writing and execution were awful (KARR as a Decepticon wannabe, anybody?)

Anyhow, a feature based on the original David Hasselhoff series has been in the works for several years now, and I didn't see any threads about it already. So, here's my unofficial thread about it.

The most recent news is that Bob & Harvey Weinstein's company is bringing on "Wild Hogs" and "Arrested Development" scribe Brad Copeland to rewrite the story; what do you think? Here's the source article.

Assuming they stick with the original concept, who do you want to see as the characters? I'd love William Daniels to return as KITT's voice, but he's 86 now, and may not be up for it. Discuss away! :D

Solid Snake 09-04-13 07:29 PM

Re: KNIGHT RIDER Feature Film Discussion Thread

Sounds stupid. I don't even think this movie would bank well if it happened. Would probably work as a comedy, that adaptation trend seems to work.

Talking about the show... Jesus titty fucking Christ. I'm amazed I put up with it as a kid. Boring as hell now. Neat theme and car though. The property should die as it was.

RocShemp 09-04-13 07:54 PM

I disagree, Snake. It can work as a movie but there needs to be something that's being sought from KITT beyond an AI assisted car. There needs to be some McGuffin that leads us to KITT and then the plot progresses via action sequences from there.

And a comedy would be a terrible idea.

moviefan2k4 09-04-13 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 11821139)
I disagree, Snake. It can work as a movie but there needs to be something that's being sought from KITT beyond an AI assisted car. There needs to be some McGuffin that leads us to KITT and then the plot progresses via action sequences from there.

And a comedy would be a terrible idea.

Yeah, every time Hollyweird tries to adapt a semi-serious show into a comedy, it bombs miserably. Prime examples are "21 Jump Street", "I Spy", and "Starsky & Hutch", to name a few.

DJariya 09-04-13 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 (Post 11821151)
Yeah, every time Hollyweird tries to adapt a semi-serious show into a comedy, it bombs miserably. Prime examples are "21 Jump Street", "I Spy", and "Starsky & Hutch", to name a few.

Uh, 21 Jump Street was one of the biggest hits of 2012.

As for Knight Rider, actually the 2 hour 2008 Pilot movie that featured Hasselhoff in a cameo was pretty good.

When NBC ordered it to series is when it turned into a train wreck. They hired the writer of the original Fast and the Furious as showrunner and it was like he didn't watch the Pilot movie. So many continuity errors.

They tried to reboot the series to fix the errors, but it was too little, too late.

Supermallet 09-04-13 08:24 PM

You must not have seen 21 Jump Street, because it's one of the best comedies of the last few years, adaptation or not.

As for this, it almost seems quaint in the light of actual driverless cars.

TomOpus 09-04-13 08:37 PM

I am willing to bet this never gets beyond the development stage.

PenguinJoe 09-04-13 08:51 PM

I mean the A-Team was pretty forgettable and I see this being like that.

JumpCutz 09-04-13 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4 (Post 11821151)
Hollyweird

:rolleyes:

RocShemp 09-04-13 09:07 PM

Yeah, 21 Jump Street was awesome and, frankly, that's a concept that lent itself perfectly as a comedy. The A-Team had just the right blend of action and comedy for me. I really wish it had done better so we'd get a sequel with John Ham as the new Lynch.

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 11821173)
I am willing to bet this never gets beyond the development stage.

Given that it's been stuck in production hell for years, that's a safe bet.

moviefan2k4 09-04-13 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11821159)
Uh, 21 Jump Street was one of the biggest hits of 2012.

I meant in terms of adhering to the source material, not the box office.

As for Knight Rider, actually the 2 hour 2008 Pilot movie that featured Hasselhoff in a cameo was pretty good.
It had some interesting elements, but overall, the whole thing fell apart. The only saving graces were Bruce Davison's role of "Charles Graiman", and the plane taking off at the end.

taffer 09-04-13 09:18 PM

Hollyweird is full of hatetheists.

Supermallet 09-04-13 09:32 PM

The A-Team was a lot of fun as well. 21 Jump Street was stellar and I can't wait for the sequel. Far more memorable than the original show.

E Unit 09-04-13 09:53 PM

I absolutely loved Knight Rider as a kid. I stuck through that really bad reboot as well. But a movie version is something I can do without, it's totally unnecessary. Comedy, drama, art film, no matter how they spin this, it won't translate to the big screen.

GuessWho 09-04-13 09:54 PM

KITT was a bulletproof car with an iPhone in the dashboard.

moviefan2k4 09-04-13 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 11821278)
KITT was a bulletproof car with an iPhone in the dashboard.

I prefer Michael's description in the pilot episode: "It looks like Darth Vader's bathroom". :lol:

RocShemp 09-04-13 11:50 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cgwPMTxjdqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4tnzciz7EKU?list=UU5WAMdTEOps-IlsFt6LWPzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yrwUzwmjWjA?list=UU5WAMdTEOps-IlsFt6LWPzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Solid Snake 09-05-13 12:38 PM

You really love your music don't you, Rocshemp.

I meant that it works for the studios. As in that's what they want. The comedy.

RocShemp 09-05-13 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 11821836)
You really love your music don't you, Rocshemp.

What child of the 80's doesn't? :p

Solid Snake 09-05-13 02:42 PM

True. I do love the KR theme.

My Other Self 09-05-13 02:53 PM

As much as I enjoyed the show growing up, I don't think this is one of those concepts that would translate well to feature film unless it was a parody. The show was entertaining but it was cheesy and there's no way it could bode as a "serious" action film.