Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite samurai movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your favorite samurai movie?

Old 10-18-03, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hunted! Samurais vs ninjas baby..woooooh. plus it has joan chen
Old 10-19-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Probably Yojimbo.

That said, I admit to an out-of-control addiction to the Zatoichi films. Just re-watched Zatoichi - On The Road this afternoon. Shintaro Katsu is the man - bar none. And all of the films have a surprisingly high uniform quality... which is pretty damn impressive considering there were 20-something of them.
Old 10-19-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Probably Yojimbo.

That said, I admit to an out-of-control addiction to the Zatoichi films. Just re-watched Zatoichi - On The Road this afternoon. Shintaro Katsu is the man - bar none. And all of the films have a surprisingly high uniform quality... which is pretty damn impressive considering there were 20-something of them.
I just ordered these and Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo last week. I hope they are as good as everyone says.
Old 10-19-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Probably Yojimbo.

I have also become addicted to Zatoichi---the best martial arts movies ever made, IMO. And as far as "On the Road", I've rewound that rice-ball picnic scene more times than I'd care to admit.
Old 10-19-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My favorite Samurai movie is Kill Bill Vol. 1&2.
Old 10-19-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
My favorite Samurai movie is Kill Bill Vol. 1&2.
IMO, these do not qualify as samurai movies and Vol. 2 has not even made it to theaters.

Edit: forgot the word not.

Last edited by indycohiba; 10-20-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by indycohiba
IMO, these do qualify as samurai movies and Vol. 2 has not even made it to theaters.
I guess some people just want to have the 'cool factor'. Nevermind if they've seen the movie or not. Like.. best movie I've seen this year is RotK. :roll:

Samurai movies:
Seven Samurai

Twilight Samurai was also very good. The tension/buildup to just two fights was astounding.

Also, the Samurai trilogy of course was fun, but not quite up there with Kurosawa's flicks.
Old 10-20-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Krug

Also, the Samurai trilogy of course was fun, but not quite up there with Kurosawa's flicks.
That's probably because Kurosawa didn't make those movies. Hiroshi Inagaki directed that trilogy.

Old 11-09-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sword of Doom, Yojimbo, and Samurai Rebellion will air on IFC in November as part of their Samurai Saturdays line up
Old 11-09-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Zatoichi fans! I need your help!
Does anyone know which Zatoichi movie it was where Ichi first saw the ocean? Or wait...I take that back. First heard the ocean? I thought I had this one taped from the "Samurai Saturday" marathon, but after going through my collection a few weekends ago, it looks like I dont got it.
That really was one of the most touching scenes of the entire series and I'd like to find out which movie that was.

Oh, and since I haven't answered the topic question yet, if I had a gun to my head I'd probably say that Yojimbo would be my all-time favorite.
Old 11-09-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MK,
That's Zatoichi and the Doomed Man, #11 on the HVE DVDs. At least I'm pretty sure that's the one, as it's the only one I can think of out of the first 11 that has him standing at the ocean listening to the surf, and then the fight scene in the foggy fishing village where he's attacked with fish nets.....
Old 11-09-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally posted by Ky-Fi
MK,
That's Zatoichi and the Doomed Man, #11 on the HVE DVDs. At least I'm pretty sure that's the one, as it's the only one I can think of out of the first 11 that has him standing at the ocean listening to the surf,
And the little boy comes up to him and tells him about the ocean.

Thanks!