Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MTV Movie Awards 2003 Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once again, the MTV Movie Awards are upon us.

Click here to see the nominees and vote for them.

Personally, I'm disgusted. Mostly becuase Minority Report, the best film of 2002 IMHO, was once again shafted.

The spiders from MR should have been nominated for best virtual performance instead of Scooby or Kangaroo Jack.

I know that the MTV Movie Awards are more based on popularity than quality; but c'mon, this is ridiculous when Kangaroo Jack and Scooby Doo get nominated for awards. Of course the only ones they should be nominated for is the Razzies.
Old 04-15-03, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: MTV Movie Awards 2003 Edition

Originally posted by zekeburger1979
Personally, I'm disgusted. Mostly becuase Minority Report, the best film of 2002 IMHO, was once again shafted.

The spiders from MR should have been nominated for best virtual performance instead of Scooby or Kangaroo Jack.

I know that the MTV Movie Awards are more based on popularity than quality; but c'mon, this is ridiculous when Kangaroo Jack and Scooby Doo get nominated for awards. Of course the only ones they should be nominated for is the Razzies.
Anyone who expects anything even REMOTELY resembling taste/quality on MTV...

Aww...fr'git it. I need to get some sleep..

Perhaps Carson Daly or any of the other idiots that "host" shows on MTV should be nominated for virtual performance..
Old 04-15-03, 04:15 AM

This is some kind of joke right? I mean thoose nominees are a disgrace to film industry. Spider-Man & Barbershop up for Best Movie???? Vin Diesel & Tobey Maguire for Best Actor?!?!? Reese Witherspoon, Halle Berry, Kate Hudson, & Kirsten Dunst up for best Actress......... I really think I'm gonna be sick, oh man... and to think I used to look forward to watching this crap (back in my younger more ignorant years).
Old 04-15-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I think some people are missing the point of MTV. Its not for "older" people and its not for film enthusiasts. Its for young teenagers who know and saw these movies. Thats why you won't see The Pianist or Y Tu Mama Tambien getting nominated here.
Old 04-15-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's the same every year now... MTV nominates/awards totally underserving people.

I stopped watching a LONG time ago.
Old 04-15-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember when the MTV movie awards were fun. Now they're trying to be just another movie awards show.

It was better when they didn't take themselves so seriously.
Old 04-15-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I love the MTV movie awards. None of that oscar fluff, and they give awards to the movies that were successful and that the public enjoyed.
Old 04-15-03, 02:02 PM
Banned

You know I used to look forward to the MTV awards. But they are just so off on their nominees. I like to think that I'm not a film snob and can dumb down myself, but jeezuz christ!! Barbershop?!! The Ring?!! My head hurts.
Old 04-15-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spiderman?!
Old 04-15-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, Minority report got I think best action sequence.
Old 04-15-03, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Goat3001
I think some people are missing the point of MTV. Its not for "older" people and its not for film enthusiasts. Its for young teenagers who know and saw these movies. Thats why you won't see The Pianist or Y Tu Mama Tambien getting nominated here.
Too true. Everybody's trying to be a movie critic now a days. I mean if anyone's seen last year's show w/ Jack Black and (damn, what's her name again?) this girl as the hosts, you would've laughed your ass off. Wait, I forgot, most critics have no humor cells.

And note, majority of MTV viewers are teenagers, not old miserable movie critics who have nothing better to do than judge other people's work. So where's your movie?
Old 04-15-03, 05:53 PM
Banned

Wow, how insulting to "younger" people. If I was "young" I'd be offended.
Its not for "older" people and its not for film enthusiasts.
So young people can't be film enthusiasts?
Its for young teenagers who know and saw these movies.
So if you're a teenager and you didn't watch these movies, or watched them and was disapointed by them, is there something wrong w/ you?
Thats why you won't see The Pianist or Y Tu Mama Tambien getting nominated here.
Probably more than any movie made in the last 5 years I would recomend EVERY "young" person see Y Tu Mama Tambien. If you're between 15-18 and haven't seen this film you are a retard, period. But thank God they've all seen Scooby Doo because it's popular (never mind that the old show is 1million times better).

If MTV had any balls they'd give Y Tu Mama Tambien the best picture. Most relevant film about young people since Say Anything...
Old 04-15-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 16, and The Pianist was my favorite film, followed by Adaptation and Minority Report. I still find it completely ridiculous (for a few years now), it was bareable when Matrix got best pic, but that's about it.
Old 04-15-03, 06:26 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Pants

Wow, how insulting to "younger" people. If I was "young" I'd be offended.
Change young people, to "the young people that watch TRL and the other crap on MTV" and you'll get his point.

So young people can't be film enthusiasts?
There were two statemnents he made, not one. He said the weren't for young people and they aren't for film enthusiasts, meaning adults aren't going to like the show and neither are any film enthusiasts (regardless of their age).

At any rate, the MTV awards have never been meant to be taken seriously. They just cater to the TRL watching target audience of MTV (not young people in general). There nothing more than a good laugh for anyone else.

Besides, it gives the lame internet movie geeks something else to get pissed off about (Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back flashback ).
Old 04-15-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I can't believe the people posting that are actually angry about some of the nominations. Spider-Man made 400 million dollars, its obvious that quite a few people liked it, and it certainly isn't going to be honered by the Acadamy. I'm glad MTV will.
Old 04-15-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, how insulting to "younger" people. If I was "young" I'd be offended. So young people can't be film enthusiasts? So if you're a teenager and you didn't watch these movies, or watched them and was disapointed by them, is there something wrong w/ you?

I didn't know it was so hard to understand pretty simple english. I didn't say that younger people can't be film enthusiasts (I'm 18 and love film). I said that the MTV movie awards are meant for teenagers who are into the whole MTV thing, and about 70% of people I know who are between 13-16 not only watch MTV religously, but love the type of movies that got nominated. Nothing wrong with that. The bottom line is that these movies are what MTV is about, whats popular to the target audience. The day people like you, me and the rest of this board are the target audience for MTV, then we can bitch and moan about whats nominated. Until then I think we should try to see from the point of view of that target audience. And from what I can tell, that target audience loves movies such as Spiderman and The Fast And The Furious.

Probably more than any movie made in the last 5 years I would recomend EVERY "young" person see Y Tu Mama Tambien. If you're between 15-18 and haven't seen this film you are a retard, period. But thank God they've all seen Scooby Doo because it's popular (never mind that the old show is 1million times better).

If MTV had any balls they'd give Y Tu Mama Tambien the best picture. Most relevant film about young people since Say Anything...
Well I guess all the teenagers I know are retarded, damn the future of America. Pants do us all a favor and have a child, make him as wise and you so us retarded teenagers can elect him as president one day.
Old 04-15-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh my god!

I have just witness the stupid argument to end all stupid arguments. You're fighting about the MTV Movie Award nominations, you feel that some films got shafted.......for an MTV Movie award.

You do realize this comes from the network that calls itself a music industry leader and only plays the same 20 videos every day for weeks on end, right?
Old 04-16-03, 10:29 AM
Banned

Well I guess all the teenagers I know are retarded, damn the future of America. Pants do us all a favor and have a child, make him as wise and you so us retarded teenagers can elect him as president one day.
That's a really good idea...but don't tell my girlfriend
Old 04-16-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

MTV as a barometer for movie quality? Please. :P
Old 04-16-03, 10:40 AM
Banned

The reason people are upset isn't because we expected better from MTV. We're upset because it's disapointing to see MTV reenforcing such poor viewer habbits. By rewarding that junk you just encourage more of it. MTV could reward films that "need" to be seen by young people, films that might improve them. But MTV doesn't educate; it spoon feeds.

Yes, I already knew that, but it's disconcerting each time I see it.

Last edited by Pants; 04-16-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 12:26 PM
Retired

"Poor viewer habbits"

Get off your elitist high chair, and learn to spell while your at it. There's no reason to insult someone for liking Spiderman and other mainstream movies, instead of whatever artsty fartsy stuff you like.

I personally happen to like all types of movies, whether they be mindless mainstream movies, or thought provoking artsy fartsy indy films. It just depends on what I feel like watching at the time.

Others only watch movies to be entertained, so escapists mainstream stuff is perfect for them and there's no reason there shouldn't be an award show reflecting these peoples tastes (especially when it fits the demographics of the target audience of the network).
Old 04-16-03, 12:46 PM
Banned

1. Don't be such a dick
2. I liked Spiderman
Old 04-16-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Pianist was also robbed out of a nomination for the Nickolodean Kids Choice Awards! This country is going down the toilet!!
Old 04-16-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Get off your elitist high chair, and learn to spell while your at it.
It's spelled "you're".
Old 04-16-03, 01:16 PM
Banned

Just a message to the young'ins on here:

If you watch MTV, that's great. I check it out from time to time as well. But don't waste your effort defending it. It's a crap channel w/ crap shows that are as addicting as crack, but it's not worth defending. In 5 years you'll kick yourself for having defended it.

BTW, I'm only 24, I'm not THAT OLD....am I?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.