Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about a movie name

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-03, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Hmmm, thinking of some movie about somebody caught supposedly for possession of several bricks of hashish. Not "Midnight Express". The one I am thinking of has several buddies dumping their hashish in the garbage cans before leaving some country (Malaysia?) and then the one friend who is not leaving the country ends up getting his garbage checked and he is the one who gets arrested.

What's the name of that movie?

Any ideas?? Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-14-03, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you're asking about a movie, and not a DVD, I'm moving this to Movie Talk.
Old 04-14-03, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Question about a movie name

Originally posted by danwiz
Hmmm, thinking of some movie about somebody caught supposedly for possession of several bricks of hashish. Not "Midnight Express". The one I am thinking of has several buddies dumping their hashish in the garbage cans before leaving some country (Malaysia?) and then the one friend who is not leaving the country ends up getting his garbage checked and he is the one who gets arrested.

What's the name of that movie?

Any ideas?? Thanks a bunch!
It sounds like the movie RETURN TO PARADISE - 1998 - Available on DVD.

From AMAZON --

"In Malaysia, three young Americans with little else in common are united in a shared enthusiasm for beer, women, and righteous hashish. Eventually, "Sheriff" (Vince Vaughn) and Tony (David Conrad) head back to New York. Lewis (Joaquin Phoenix), a spacey but good-hearted sort, stays on with the notion of helping save the orangutans. Two years later, a brassy lawyer (Anne Heche) shows up in Manhattan with the news that her client, Lewis, has spent the interim in Penang prison. Arrested for a prankish misdemeanor they all shared in, he's taking the rap for something worse: the dope stash they left him holding was a fatal few grams over the limit. Unless his fellow Americans return voluntarily to (literally) share the weight, in eight days Lewis will be hanged as a drug trafficker."
Old 04-14-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
SergeantPinback,

That has to be it, I went to Amazon.com and read everything there is about it, and yeah - it HAS to be it.

"RETURN TO PARADISE"

Thanks very much!

danwiz
Old 04-15-03, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
A film that should have been much, much better than it ended up being.
Old 04-15-03, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joaquin Phoenix did a great acting in this movie.