DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The most disturbing scene in cinema's history (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/285691-most-disturbing-scene-cinemas-history.html)

Groucho 10-03-05 10:45 AM

Oh come on, you have to be "sheltered" to find the idea of...

Spoiler:
having your leg sawed off by piano wire

...disturbing? Give me a fucking break.

ShagMan 10-03-05 12:04 PM

yeah, I don't consider myself to be "sheltered", and I still find Miike films some of the most disturbing stuff I've seen. The man's a genius at that.

dadaluholla 10-03-05 12:23 PM

I'm just saying I don't see how Audition was any more disturbing than any random horror movie where someone has been
Spoiler:
dismembered
. What made it so special?
Spoiler:
Because she was saying kitty kitty kitty? Because it was piano wire?
What?

matome 10-03-05 01:36 PM

The fire extinguisher scene in <i>Irrevresible.</i>

Also the Sloth scene in <i>Se7en,</i> which was compunded when I found out that was a real guy.

Legolas 10-03-05 01:48 PM

Most disturbing scene? When the screen says: "Directed by Uwe Boll"

RichC2 10-03-05 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I'm just saying I don't see how Audition was any more disturbing than any random horror movie where someone has been
Spoiler:
dismembered
Spoiler:
What?

Some people are just disturbed with it. Most slasher flicks and dismemberment scenes are quick and to the point, she takes her sweet time in Audition. Plus some people don't like needles.

That said, none of that disturbed me, but the puking in the bowl and feeding it to the gimp did.

And actually, I don't find most Takashi's flicks to be disturbing, because the "disturbing" scenes almost always make sense in context. That and I haven't really found any of his movies to be boring.. except maybe Dead or Alive. Who knew beastiality could be so boring.

Oh and yeah, my vote goes to Happiness.. there were a few scenes in that that made me uncomfortable, not necessarily disturbing... just.. yeah...

dadaluholla 10-03-05 02:15 PM

Yes. Dead or Alive was mind numbingly boring. And I kept hearing about how the final battle at the end was SO UNBELIEVEABLE and THE COOLEST THING EVER and I finally see and i honestly think I've seen better endings on old Nintendo games.

Anyway, the most disturbing thing ever for me was R Budd Dwyer's scene in Traces of Death (and whatever other compilations he has appeared in).

Rival11 10-03-05 10:15 PM

Spoiler:
dismembered
Spoiler:
What?

Kitty? That's Japanese for "deeper"? Never knew that.

Here's the deal, very simple: What I find disturbing, you don't and who knows; what you find disturbing I may laugh off as well.

I like Takashi Miike you don't.......but I sure as hell ain't gonna hold it against ya ;) just kidding, I know where you're coming from but I simply stated that I found it disturbing but it almost seems like because you don't understand why other people find a certain directors work disturbing and since it doesn't bother you, you degrade it and question it. I'm not lecturing you, just pointing out that we all have different views........as you already know.

dadaluholla 10-04-05 07:49 AM

:grouphug:

Yes, I'm sorry. I guess its just that I've been desensitized to just about everything you could ever see onscreen...and other people's feelings as well. I will do my best to respect the weak stomachs of others in future discussions.

;)

Alan Smithee 10-05-05 07:21 PM

The scene in Detroit Rock City where a perfectly good 8-track tape is thrown in the middle of a road and run over by a truck!

Rival11 10-05-05 09:29 PM

Yes, I'm sorry. I guess its just that I've been desensitized to just about everything you could ever see onscreen

You're my hero

BigPete 10-05-05 09:43 PM

The eye in Un Cien Andalou (sp?)

SuprVgeta 10-05-05 10:28 PM

Probably American History X's curb-job scene... I still have to turn my head away when I see that scene.

Heartagram 10-06-05 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Legolas
Most disturbing scene? When the screen says: "Directed by Uwe Boll"

Congratulations Legolas, you have truly made me smile, as much as I LOVE Boll films, that line is going in my sig.

Back on topic, Im sure its been mentioned but pretty much the first half of I spit on your grave does the job for me.

eisenreich 10-06-05 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by beckham
I can't believe no ones has put down Irreversible. Either the head bashing (more viscerally disturbing) or the TEN MINUTE rape scene (more emotional disturbing).

Definitely agree here. The character's arm being snapped prior to the head bashing scene was one of the most disturbing things I had ever seen on film.. Seen in general..

Pointyskull 10-06-05 08:04 AM

It takes a lot for me to cringe uncontrollably when watching a movie, but the hammer/teeth scene in Oldboy had me peeking through my fingers and turning the sound down at the same time....

Cancer Man 10-06-05 09:45 AM

I'm pretty suprised that nobody has yet mentioned the dark comedy thriller, Very Bad Things and starring Christian Slater. The opening half hour of that movie that takes place in Las Vegas is as gross and despicable as anything said in this thread so far.

In Very Bad Things, an Asian Hooker is banging her client in bathroom during a rowdy stag party, she is having sex with the guy and they are both rolling all over the place. During mid f--k the Prostitute has her head violently but accidentally impaled on a towel hook, she dies instantly.

The man that was f--king her panics and alerts his "friends" in the room next door. The men all go back into the bathroom to find the dead Prostitute sprawled across the floor totally naked, a broken towel hook sticking out of the back of her cloven skull. There is a growing pool of crimson blood.

The men all panic and the leader decides to get rid the body and not call the Police. They go with his plan, but not before a Security Guard interrupts them. He discovers the dead Prostitute and threatens to prosecute them, but the leader of the gang stabs the Security Guard in the chest with a bottle corkscrew.

The Security Guard is mortally wounded and bleeding badly, the men shove him into the bathroom where he flays around the bathroom screaming, bleeding violently and banging against the bathroom door that is pinned down by the gang. The Security Guard dies shortly after. The stag party men go back into the bathroom to now find two corpses, the Prostitute on the floor and the Security Guard in the bathtub. Blood is sprayed around the walls. The leader of the gang formulates a grisly method of disposing the two bodies.

Back from a trip to Wal-Mart, the gang return to their hotel room to get rid of the two bodies there. They are equipped for the task : plastic bags, rubber suits, cleaning gear (for blood), a mop and an electric sawblade. The gang proceed to cut the bodies up into six pieces each using the sawblade (we see one of the men cutting into one of the Security Guard's legs with the sawblade), they wrap up the severed body parts into plastic bags and then pack them into the suitcases (we see the men putting the Prostitute's severed torso, wrapped up in plastic, into a suitcase, we also see her severed head and limbs wrapped up in plastic as well). The seperated body parts are all packed up into suitcases and the bathroom is fully cleaned of blood and gore through the use of mop, sponge and cleaning fluid.

The men drive the suitcases, with the dismembered body parts inside, away from the Las Vegas hotel they were staying at into the middle of the desert for secret burial. They are about to bury the suit cases in a shallow grave in the middle of desert at midnight, but one of the men protests. For Judeo-Christian reasons he wants all the body parts united so that their two victims could go to the afterlife, the leader of the stag party gang agrees and they unpack the suitcases containing the wrapped up body parts.

They then have a very grisly jigsaw game where the gang lay out the two torsos of the Security Guard and Asian Prostitute on the ground. They sort out through the severed heads and limbs of their innocent victims. They then put the body parts back to their rightful owners and then bury the reassembled corpses in the dug out pit.

Brent L 10-06-05 10:49 AM

How about in L' Anticristo (The Antichrist), isn't there a horribly graphic "goat orgy" or something else totally messed up in that one? I've never seen it, but I have read about it, and it sounds....well, disturbing.