Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Luca$ to make you pay for Ep. 3 Spoilers

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-09-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never really bashed G. Lucas for cashing in on Star Wars, but theforce.net reported people will have to pay 10 bucks a year to get information about Episode 3. What a joke.
Old 04-09-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the joke is on anyone who believes this is info true.
Old 04-09-03, 05:30 PM
Banned

Don't pay it. I've never even been to a StarWars fan site or Forcenet. I got more Ep. II info than I could handle right here at DVDtalk where everyone cut and paste the best articles from all over.
Old 04-09-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Even if you don't pay the 10 bucks, you will still know the info. how you ask? Well first of all their would be 100,000 different threads a week bashing lucas and how ______ happened and how he screwed up the star wars universe and raped their childhood by making ______ happen in the prequels.

If they charge one person 10 bucks, that one person would have already told 100 other people. those 100 others will tell 100,000 more and thus it would be pointless to charge for info with the internet around.

Anyhow.. the rumor doesn't even make sense...

So you would have to pay 10 bucks a year for two years (2005) to know spoilers, which I'm sure 99.99999% of the folks who are star wars fans really DON'T want to hear.

Now if Lucas was going to make you pay him 10 bucks or else he will spoil it all for us by telling the secrets in a form of blackmail.. then it would be different.
Old 04-09-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this is true, it's another case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If I had the energy (I don't) I could search this board for Lucas (and Luca$) threads about priacy (but I am sure there are many threads!) and his feelings about it. He's upset over downloading (more so than the Original Trilogy boots, but that's another topic entirely) and I've seen opinions on this board that he should just post the content on his site and charge a fee to download it. I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I won't be paying the fee, but for those who want it, it's there, and the creators behind the work will get their due for it, so everybody will be happy (well, except for those who just want it for free). I say Lucas should go with his bad self and if you don't want the material, nobody is forcing you to give him your credit card number to download it.
Old 04-09-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ok, so here's what will be offered:

Celebrity Talks: Scheduled interaction with the team behind the scenes from the set of Episode III, plus other artists, actors, authors, editors and Lucasfilm personalities behind the entire Star Wars saga.
Exclusive Deleted Scene: Subscribers will see an exclusive deleted scene from Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones, not included on the DVD and never before been made to the public.

Set Diary and Webcam: This summer, as Episode III is being shot in Sydney, Australia, subscribers will have a first-hand look at the process. A regular diary from an on-set correspondent will take you behind the scenes. Also in Sydney, a live webcam will be placed in a different positions to give you a live look at the making of Episode III.

Episode III Selects: George Lucas will personally select exclusive photos from the making of Episode III to share with subscribers first. This candid and compelling weekly photo series will begin in the fall.

Sounds just like Game spot and any other video game site that you need a subscription to read..

The info will be leaked out, the deleted scenes will be ripped and on file sharing sites moments after they are posted.. It's just the way it goes.
Old 04-09-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Wow, a website charging money for access. That's never been tried before! George Lucas is worse than Hitler!
Old 04-09-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Pants
Don't pay it. I've never even been to a StarWars fan site or Forcenet. I got more Ep. II info than I could handle right here at DVDtalk where everyone cut and paste the best articles from all over.
Word!

Like Obi-Wan said.. Who's more foolish the fool who asks for $10 for spoilers or the fool who parts with it..?
Old 04-09-03, 06:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes, damn Luca$ for raping our right for spoilers.
Old 04-09-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heck no. I was planning to go spoiler free for Ep3 anyway.
Old 04-09-03, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Wow, a website charging money for access. That's never been tried before! George Lucas is worse than Hitler!

Wow, what if Hitler had the internet?
Old 04-09-03, 11:20 PM

Why bash Lucas for trying to make as much profit off Star Wars as he can? He finances the movies himself.
Old 04-09-03, 11:26 PM

George Luca$=The Devil of Hollywood
Old 04-10-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gee promising special perks for people who sign up for a pay site. Now that's revolutionary!

Really though, you know any major spoiler is gonna be all over the net two hours after it hits starwars.com.
Old 04-10-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet another small sign that helps convince me....Lucas's secret goal is to ruin his prize franchise as much as possible. He wants a clean slate after Episode III.
Old 04-10-03, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I could say something but I won't. Better leave it be.
Old 04-12-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
haha - cool... a "nerd tax"
Old 04-12-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celebrity Talks: Scheduled interaction with the team behind the scenes from the set of Episode III, plus other artists, actors, authors, editors and Lucasfilm personalities behind the entire Star Wars saga.
Exclusive Deleted Scene: Subscribers will see an exclusive deleted scene from Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones, not included on the DVD and never before been made to the public.

Set Diary and Webcam: This summer, as Episode III is being shot in Sydney, Australia, subscribers will have a first-hand look at the process. A regular diary from an on-set correspondent will take you behind the scenes. Also in Sydney, a live webcam will be placed in a different positions to give you a live look at the making of Episode III.

Episode III Selects: George Lucas will personally select exclusive photos from the making of Episode III to share with subscribers first. This candid and compelling weekly photo series will begin in the fall.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like stuff that will just end up on the DVD anyway. Of course if you want it now. . .

Eh, it's a dumb idea.
Old 04-12-03, 12:01 PM
Banned

What's this need to know every single detail about a movie before you see it, and thus losing the entire element of surprise? Of course, anyone who cries that Lucas raped his childhood should do the world a favor and step out in front of a moving bus.
Old 04-12-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
What's this need to know every single detail about a movie before you see it, and thus losing the entire element of surprise? Of course, anyone who cries that Lucas raped his childhood should do the world a favor and step out in front of a moving bus.
This is what I think is weird about the whole thing.

While shooting the movies, Lucas tries to keep a tight grip on things, not wanting any leaks.

But then, like a freaking month before the movie comes out, the novelization and comic book adaption are released.

I'm like - huh?

What's with releasing this stuff BEFORE the movie comes out? And it's not just Lucas, either. I've seen the novelization of X2 in stores for several weeks now.