DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   most underrated overrated movie? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/284777-most-underrated-overrated-movie.html)

jhoon 04-09-03 02:24 AM

most underrated overrated movie?

basically what the title says. a movie that is considered overrated but actually underrated in your opinion. My example would be gladiator. and please, no dorky debates about how it doesn't make sense. if you think about it, it kind of does, but if you think too hard, then it wont. so for all you dorks out there (and there are a lot of you here :wave: ), stay out.

starseed 04-09-03 02:34 AM

Magnolia (yeah, American Beauty - now that is a truly overrated movie, not bad, but overrated - won Best Picture that year, and this wasn't even nominated?)
Eraserhead (to this day, still worthy of all the respect we can give it, and still considered "too arty" or "nonsensical" by some, indeed, many)
The Royal Tenenbaums (a wonderfully dark comedy that my friends seem to love to hate because it is not straightforward humor; instead, it is the odd humor of human relationships)
The Ring (I don't care if people didn't think this was scary; it is a cool, calculating horror film that has a mood and visual style that is sadly missing from cinema these days)
Gremlins (good God! this is such a fun flick, and it gets tossed around like a B-movie at times - my favorite Christmas movie ever)

Tyler_Durden 04-09-03 02:49 AM

Firstly, wrong forum.

Secondly, these discussions are useless because whether a film is "overrated" depends entirely on which group you ask. I'd never heard anybody consider the films already mentioned in this thread overrated. The critics I read and the people I talk to about film all consider them to be very good, some of them excellent.

Thirdly, starseed: you're talking about the Japanese "Ring", right?

BizRodian 04-09-03 02:55 AM

Hannibal - I'm convinced people must have totally missed that this film is supposed to be a love story. I didn't care much for Red Dragon, incidentally...

GMLSKIS 04-09-03 03:50 AM

Howard The Duck

Ænima 04-09-03 04:05 AM

Dumb and Dumber, overrated yes, underrated yes! some group it as a typical slap stick, but its a classic.

Also, any Monty Python movie.

Michael Corvin 04-09-03 09:35 AM

Overrated - any Best Picture Oscar winner since 1996.(English Patient, Titanic , Shakespeare in Love, American Beauty, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, Chicago)

Underrated - All the films that should have been nominated/won against all the above films (Saving Private Ryan, Memento, Almost Famous, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Green Mile, Sixth Sense, LA Confidential, Good Will Hunting, Lord of the Rings: Two Towers)

Rammsteinfan 04-09-03 11:03 AM

If I had to pick just one off the top of my head...

Underrated: Event Horizon! Must have DC now!
Overrated: Chicago (Sucked the biggest ***** ever, never have I walked out of a movie in 20 years until this film came out. Wasted my $5 and 1 hour of my life...)

jhoon 04-10-03 09:47 PM

im not asking for movies that are overrated then movies that are underrated. im asking for movies that are considered overrated in dvdtalk that you feel is underrated. starseed was on the right track.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
these discussions are useless because whether a film is "overrated" depends entirely on which group you ask. I'd never heard anybody consider the films already mentioned in this thread overrated. The critics I read and the people I talk to about film all consider them to be very good, some of them excellent.

you dork... :wave: