DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Worst Female Leads (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/284105-worst-female-leads.html)

NCMojo 04-05-03 11:43 PM

Worst Female Leads

NBC showed Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom tonight, which is just painful to watch, in no small part due to an atrocious performance by Kate Capshaw. Her role -- Wilhelminia "Willie" Scott -- is by far one of the whiniest, most grating, most insultingly awful performances in cinematic history. There are other awful performances -- anything by Madonna comes to mind -- but when you factor in not only her absolute lack of talent with her character's innate hate-ability... I don't think you'll find a worse female lead.

Or am I wrong? Do you have a better -- or worse -- example?

fmian 04-06-03 04:32 AM

That chick in Dogma. Linda Fiorentti or something. She was god awful.

hgar78 04-06-03 10:21 AM

i'll second linda fiorenetti plus she always reminds me of that girl from meet joe black, the one who squints all the time.

i also can't stand jennifer love hewitt and, of course, j-ho!!!

Addi88 04-06-03 12:00 PM

My 2 Cents

That girl who had the lead in The Transporter.

Some of the worst acting.

movieking 04-06-03 05:01 PM

Just saw Temple of Doom for the first time in years, and I totally agree about Capshaw.

Sessa17 04-06-03 09:06 PM

Another vote for Capshaw. Another Indy female in Karen Allen also makes my list of most annoying female leads ever. I hate her in EVERYTHING, even the all holy Animal House, I squirm every time she is on camera.

It's really a matter of taste though. IMO the single worste female ever I can think of is Angelina Jolie in anything. I just don't see what people like about her. She has that pouty goth look with I just loathe. Her lips make me want to vomit, there is NO WAY they are real. Her voice is annoying. She just looks like a slob.

LBPound 04-06-03 09:11 PM

Re: Worst Female Leads

Originally posted by ncmojo
Or am I wrong? Do you have a better -- or worse -- example?
No, you are very much correct. Kate Capshaw's performance in Temple of Doom is the worst female lead ever...officially! :) Just plain awful.

Deckard-10 04-06-03 09:44 PM

Re: Re: Worst Female Leads

Originally posted by LBPound
No, you are very much correct. Kate Capshaw's performance in Temple of Doom is the worst female lead ever...officially! :) Just plain awful.
Looks like I'm the first (and maybe only person) to actually admit liking Kate Capshaw and her role as Wilhelminia "Willie" Scott. Yes, her character was annoying, but she was suppose to be that way!

Madonna gets my vote for the worst female lead ever.

Buck Turgidson 04-06-03 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17
Her lips make me want to vomit, there is NO WAY they are real.
Watch Deliverance. Her dad's lips are awfully juicy and voluptuous. He'd have been in a lot of trouble if Reynolds and Cox hadn't shown up when they did... :eyebrow:

I have a contender: Melanie Griffith in A Stranger Among Us. An excellent cast (including a small role for James Gandolfini), and intriguing premise, a well-written script, one of the best Directors in Hollywood (Sidney Lumet), and the whole damned house of cards falls becaus of brain dead Melanie trying to carry the movie. A waste.

lesterlong 04-06-03 10:02 PM

Boy do you guys really hate women that much?

tommyp007 04-06-03 10:28 PM

another vote for J-lo, even in Anaconda (which I kinda liked!)

LostHiWay 04-06-03 10:59 PM

Originally posted by fmian
That chick in Dogma. Linda Fiorentti or something. She was god awful.
What!?!? Fiorentino is a great actress. She should've gotten the oscar for The Last Seduction....but it was shown on HBO first and she was ineligible.

jeffkjoe 04-06-03 11:03 PM

Originally posted by tommyp007
another vote for J-lo, even in Anaconda (which I kinda liked!)

Here's ANOTHER vote for J-Lo...

Her movies are made for people with low I.Q.'s.

chowderhead 04-07-03 01:10 AM

J-Lo
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Tara Reid
Julia Ormond - how the hell did she get the lead to Sabrina, First Knight and Legends of the Fall???
Penelope Cruz
Selma Hayak
the Olsen twin.
Basically my list are actresses that I cannot stand. I think also that many of the leading ladies in the older films like Citizen Kane or Pyscho or whatever tend to overact and be overly dramatic.

mytzplyx 04-07-03 03:39 AM

All of you are dead wrong so far

My choices are a tie:

Britney Spears in Crossroads
Mariah Carey in Glitter

Nope, didn't watch either, but that's not stopping me from pre-judging.

FuzzyBallz 04-07-03 04:21 AM

Re: My 2 Cents

Originally posted by Addi88
That girl who had the lead in The Transporter.

Some of the worst acting.

Oh, no doubt. She's not fit to do action movies.

I like that chick in Indiana Jones: The Last Cruisade though.

Julia Ormond - how the hell did she get the lead to Sabrina, First Knight and Legends of the Fall???
What? She's great in First Knight. Wait, maybe I was just checking her out the whole way through 'cause she's so damn fine.

Khan 04-07-03 04:28 AM

I haven't seen it but have heard some really, really scathing comments about Lorraine Bracco in Medicine Man.

Patman 04-07-03 06:26 AM

How about the lead actress, Leonor Varela, in Blade 2? I thought she was basically reading cue cards through the whole movie.

movieking 04-07-03 07:17 AM

How about Tracy Pollan in the TV movie "1st To Die"? The whole movie was utter garbage, and the acting made soap opera actors look like Olivier...

matome 04-07-03 08:02 AM

Virtually all singer/actresses are talentless in one area (applies to the male ones as well).

B.A. 04-07-03 08:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Worst Female Leads

Originally posted by Deckard-10
Looks like I'm the first (and maybe only person) to actually admit liking Kate Capshaw and her role as Wilhelminia "Willie" Scott. Yes, her character was annoying, but she was suppose to be that way!

Madonna gets my vote for the worst female lead ever.

I agree w/ you in regards to Spielberg's wife. Her character, "Willie", was supposed to be obnoxious in Temple of Doom (just as Vince Vaughn was in Made). I liked Kate in that movie, I can't imagine it w/out her.

I'll throw my vote in for Madonna as well. She has no business trying to act, unless she is making a music video - that is as far as she should be allowed to go.

ineluki 04-07-03 10:15 AM

My vote goes against Denise Richards.

PalmerJoss 04-07-03 11:14 AM

Jennifer Lopez in all of her movies except the excellent Out of Sight. Also, Rosie O'Donnell and Madonna in anything they've ever done.

PolloDiablo 04-07-03 02:52 PM

My vote goes against Denise Richards.
Oh man, if only she'd just keep her mouth shut then it might not be that bad, but in all honesty this woman brings new meaning to bad acting. Gotta love on that MTV show Punk'd when they get that little kid to ask her what it was like to get to play someone smart (I'm guessing he was referring to James Bond?).

Hiro11 04-07-03 03:24 PM

Madonna in "Body of Evidence"- this is the worst "acting" ever.