DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Best John Cusack Film (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/283825-best-john-cusack-film.html)

NCMojo 04-04-03 02:23 PM

Best John Cusack Film

I am a big-time fan of John Cusack, and just now got a chance to watch the commentary track of Say Anything again. Wow, was he great in that film.

Which got me to thinking... what is your all-time favorite John Cusack movie? It's a tough choice for me... I love The Sure Thing ("Credit cards work on a completely different kind of lock!")... and of course he's brilliant in Say Anything and Better Off Dead.

His serious turns in his later films also stand out - he was exceptional in The Jack Bull and Being John Malkovick, not to mention a very credible job in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

But my all-time favorite John Cusack film has to be Grosse Point Blank, which is (IMO) only one of the coolest films ever. (As a side note, shouldn't there be some kind of law passed that forces John to only appear in films with Joan, and vice versa? Don't they do their best work together?) So many great lines, so many great moments...

I don't think what a person does for a living reflects who they are.

'So Martin, what have you been doing with your life?'
'Professional killer.'
'Ah, good for you, it's a growth industry.'

You can never go home again, but I guess you can shop there.

What is your favorite John Cusack movie?

tofu 04-04-03 02:27 PM

It's a toss up between Gross Pointe or High Fidelity.

Groucho 04-04-03 02:28 PM

Probably Bullets Over Broadway or Being John Malkovich for me.

davidlynchfan 04-04-03 02:31 PM

Hardsell for me since he's one of my faves as well but I'm going with Say Anything....
but heck,I'm a huge fan of Hot Pursuit as well!

lesterlong 04-04-03 02:32 PM

Con Air

What else? :)

Bandoman 04-04-03 02:42 PM

Didn't he have a very small part in Twikoff with Val Kilmer?

wendersfan 04-04-03 02:45 PM

Say Anything, although Grosse Point Blank is pretty good. I found Being John Malkovich to be a completely self-absorbed, pretentious, and annoying piece of crap, and I will never see High Fidelity, ever, ever, ever...

Max might change everything.

Tyler_Durden 04-04-03 02:46 PM

Being John Malkovich is definitely the best one out of the ones I've seen, but High Fidelity is also a wonderfully matter-of-fact yet hilarious catalogue of the male psyche.

Pants 04-04-03 02:58 PM

Being JM is great, so is Grosse Point

But Say Anything... is the winner

sherm42 04-04-03 03:03 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Say Anything, although Grosse Point Blank is pretty good. I found Being John Malkovich to be a completely self-absorbed, pretentious, and annoying piece of crap, and I will never see High Fidelity, ever, ever, ever...

Max might change everything.

Why would you never want to see High Fidelity? It was a great film and a really great adaptation of the book.

neiname 04-04-03 03:10 PM

The Grifters anyone???

wendersfan 04-04-03 03:17 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
Why would you never want to see High Fidelity? It was a great film and a really great adaptation of the book.
I am too emotionally attached to the book to see any film adaptation of it. I am probably more attached to this book than is emotionally healthy, but given the subject of the book that somehow seems appropriate.

Hokeyboy 04-04-03 03:17 PM

Say Anything, by a landslide. Followed by Class. ;)

Gross Pointe Blank is pretty abominable. I never understood its appeal in any capacity.

gilbertr76 04-04-03 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
Yes, he played one of the otters.

jdpatri 04-04-03 04:03 PM

Grosse Pointe Blank would definitely be #1... but Better Off Dead and High Fidelity are very high on my list... and Grifters...

Oh screw it. They're all my favorite... except for City Hall. That pretty much blew.

HistoryProf 04-04-03 04:19 PM

hmmmm....this is hard, as i'm a die hard Cusack fan as well.....i'd rank the top five as follows

High Fidelity
Being John Malkovich
Say Anything (lloyd lloyd all null and void!)
Grifters
Grosse Pointe Blank tied with The Jack Bull (very underrated anti-western imho)

rfduncan 04-04-03 04:19 PM

Originally posted by neiname
The Grifters anyone???
Agreed - if you really want to see some fantastic early John Cusack which shows ALL that he can do it is here. That movie is an oft overlooked GEM (and I HATE Annette Benning)!

costanza187 04-04-03 04:26 PM

Ill go with Grosse Pointe Blank

LBPound 04-04-03 04:35 PM

It's not a "John Cusack" film but my favorite film with John Cusack in it is <b>Stand By Me</b>. <b>Sixteen Candles</b>, <b>Journey of Natty Gann</b>, and <b>Eight Men Out</b> are all good too...but again, none of those are really "John Cusack films."

Lastblade 04-04-03 05:03 PM

It is either High Fidelity or Better Off Dead for me.... I have seen both films a ridculous amount of times.

mookyman 04-04-03 05:30 PM

America's Sweethearts, no question about it.

Just kidding. Say Anything.

Dave99 04-04-03 05:33 PM

Yeah, wasn't it an uncredited role though?
Dave

Originally posted by Bandoman

inri222 04-04-03 06:09 PM

The Grifters

shizawn 04-04-03 06:47 PM

Better Off Dead

matome 04-04-03 07:31 PM

Grosse Pointe Blank