Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"No Bags in Theatres" Policy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-03, 08:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a point in time when safety and paranoia intersect. I know there has been heightened security in many places including movie theatres. Now I can understand that it would be out of place to see a moviegoer bring in a backpack/large bag at one of those megaplexes that are seperate buildings. However when a theatre is part of say a mall, it doesn't make sense. Two theatres are very strict about this, Regal in Ballston Virginia mall and the Hoyt's theatre in the mall in Providence, Rhode Island. Because I use mass transit alot, and I tend to carry a back pack for books, magazines, portable CD player/CD's, et al. or even if I purchase someone that requires a large bag, for the theatre in turn to say I can't bring in this bag, is essentially turning away my money since I look like suspicious. I mean come on, your theatre is in a mall, of course a number of your patrons might have large bags. I would very curious to see the if the theatre in turns makes less money from this action against it's patrons. Does this sound a little oversensitive? I think so. Thoughts?
Old 04-04-03, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No bags in theaters? Damn, guess I can't take my wife to go see Phone Booth this weekend.
Old 04-04-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
badum dum tishhhh!
Old 04-04-03, 08:56 AM

Old 04-04-03, 09:32 AM

Re: "No Bags in Theatres" Policy

Originally posted by Giles
or even if I purchase someone that requires a large bag, for the theatre in turn to say I can't bring in this bag, is essentially turning away my money since I look like suspicious.
Well, you admit that you try to sneak in corpses in a bag, so I think their policy makes sense ;-)

No, seriously, it comes down to a balance between safety and realism. I can see that entering a theatre with a bag could potentially pose a threat. Crazy people do crazy stuff, I think everybody agrees to that.

What is the solution. Would you be ok with it if the theatre asks you to open the bag so they confirm that the contents is safe? That might solve some of the problems.

I agree with you that the policy seems a little crazy, but it is not too far-fetched.

LolaRennt
Old 04-04-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bags in theatres?

I always thought you couldn't bring bags.

Just let management put the bags in the back for you. And make sure that everything is there when you leave.

That is the best I can do.
Old 04-04-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: "No Bags in Theatres" Policy

Originally posted by LolaRennt
What is the solution. Would you be ok with it if the theatre asks you to open the bag so they confirm that the contents is safe? That might solve some of the problems.
This would be the obvious solution - that is IF the theater has enough staff to enforce this during busy times (Fri./Sat. nights). With a multiplex like Regal Ballston this may prove impossible to enforce - esp since they seem to ALWAYS be under staffed (and the staff the do have at the concession stands when I have been there are mentally challenged - I'm not making a joke here).

[b]SERIOUS NOTE[b]: If you really have an issue with this - aren't there rental lockers available in the mall to keep your stuff? I thought Ballston Mall used to have those somewhere. If not, you should suggest this to management of such locations if you feel strongly about it.

ALSO I think this policy is more to police people bringing in outside food and drink. As everyone knows concessions are pretty much how movie theaters make most of their money.

The OTHER reason could be to prevent people from making bootlegs in the theater.
Old 04-04-03, 09:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
Just let management put the bags in the back for you.
Considering that the "management" in most of these theaters are 16 year olds making minimum wage, I don't recommend this course of action. Just lock your bag in the car (but crack a window so she can breathe).
Old 04-04-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO banning bags, backpacks, and the like will not increase security one iota. If someone wants to sneak something in, they will; coats, jackets, baggy pants, long skirts, etc. offer ample room to conceal knives, explosives, guns, and the like. Unless the theaters are prepared to install metal detectors and require patrons to submit to searches, the only impact the no bag policy will achieve is to inconvenience movie goers.

Moreover, what about the employees at the theaters and malls themselves? Do we really believe these venues run extensive background checks on all of their employees? What safeguards are in place to prevent a determined employee from launching some form of attack?

I think this policy is ridiculous and will provide zero benefit to consumers.
Old 04-04-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I work in a Loews, and the big reasons we don't allow bags/backpacks are

a) So no-one's not bringing in beer and pringles, etc, and

b) so no-one's bringing in a video camera.

Considering that the "management" in most of these theaters are 16 year olds making minimum wage, I don't recommend this course of action.
No 16-year-olds work at my theater... mainly because theater chains won't hire you unless you're 17 (otherwise you're not allowed in to the r-rated films, even to clean up). I'm not suggesting that some 16-year-olds don't slip through, but it's highly unlikely that any of them would be $30,000-a-year managers!

The answer is simple - unless you walked to the theater, you can leave whatever bag you have in your car... elementary, my dear moviegoer.
Old 04-04-03, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne

The answer is simple - unless you walked to the theater, you can leave whatever bag you have in your car... elementary, my dear moviegoer.
And if I were coming from work (bringing some papers home or whatever the reason in my briefcase), this would prevent me from casualy just going to the movies, this type of barring just makes me go to another theatre.

Secondly, Regal, states in the Washington Post movie theatre listings, that this policy is for "security reasons". I find this to be rather off putting and just adds further fear to the public IMO.

Last edited by Giles; 04-04-03 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-04-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Giles
Secondly, Regal, states in the Washington Post movie theatre listings, that this policy is for "security reasons".
Reason for that? Tell the public "we don't want you sneaking food in", they won't care. Tell the public in troubled times that "it's for security reasons", the unwashed masses will blindly succumb.

Spin baby, it's all about the spin.
Old 04-04-03, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This happened to me at the Hoyts in Ithaca. I stopped at Best Buy before I went to the movie and bought a DVD (of course). It was one DVD in one of the little yellow Best Buy bags. When I went to buy my ticket she told me I couldn't bring that in with me. I showed her the contents of the bag and she still wouldn't let me do it. So I took the DVD and recipt and put them in my jaket pocket in front of her and gave her my plastic bag to throw away, then she sold me the ticket. I honestly don't understand this rule.
Old 04-04-03, 01:25 PM

I had the same situation Mittman. I was going to the Hoyts in Albany, NY and had stopped off in Electronics Boutique to buy a playstation game. They gave me their smallest size bag and when I went into the theaters, they wouldn't let me in with the bag, so I put it in one of my cargo pants pockets. The guy at the ticket line said something like I shouldn't do that in front of him, and I just gave him a condescending look. Then he let me in.

I really think this rule is to prevent food and camcorders from entering the theater, and this whole "security" reason is just a big red herring.
Old 04-04-03, 02:00 PM
Banned

The reason was already mentioned. It is not for security, though, they may tell you it is. It is actually so that no one brings in any food or beverages. They make a killing off of sales of food and beverages and don't want to lose any money. I went to a birthday party when I was 12 or so and we went to a movie. The parents brought two shopping bags (it was in a mall) filled with soda and popcorn. I to on occasion sneek in food so I can see why they wouldn't want any sort of bags in the theater.
Old 04-04-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I agree that the most likely reason for banning bags is to maximize concession sales, a no bag policy will not deter those who want to sneak outside food into a theater. How difficult is to hide a candy bar in a pocket or purse?
Old 04-04-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by audrey
While I agree that the most likely reason for banning bags is to maximize concession sales, a no bag policy will not deter those who want to sneak outside food into a theater. How difficult is to hide a candy bar in a pocket or purse?
Not hard at all.

Hell, I WORK at a theate, but I'm sure not buying the food from there. I'll sneak in a couple cans of Red Bull, some candy bars, and on occasion, a tube of pringles.

But those who sneak in the 24-pacs of MGD... my hat's off to you!
Old 04-04-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
It's not difficult at all, but think of how much more you could sneak in with a bag in addition to your pockets and purse.

While I do think the main reason is to stop people from bringing their own food and drink in, I think it also has something to do with making people feel safer. It's not that they will necessarily be any safer than before the policy was implemented, but that doesn't matter. They want people to know they are doing something.
Old 04-04-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find the best way to sneak in stuff is right out in the open. I went to a movie today, and carried in my big 32 oz mountain dew I had from taco bell. Bought my ticket with it in my hand, and right past the ticket taker. He looked at it kind of funny, but since I had it right out in the open, I don't think he had the courage to question me on it. My wife always gives me a hard time about it, she thinks they will kick me out at some point. (I bring my own soda every time, the soda at the theatre tastes like tar).
Dave
Old 04-04-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
I'll buy their damn cola but its easy to sneak in some rum to put in it.

Are theatres in the US and Canada the only ones that have the "no outside food" policy? I've been to theatres in Japan and the Phillipines, and they let you bring in whatever the hell you want.
Old 04-05-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
I had the same situation Mittman. I was going to the Hoyts in Albany, NY and had stopped off in Electronics Boutique to buy a playstation game. They gave me their smallest size bag and when I went into the theaters, they wouldn't let me in with the bag, so I put it in one of my cargo pants pockets. The guy at the ticket line said something like I shouldn't do that in front of him, and I just gave him a condescending look. Then he let me in.

I really think this rule is to prevent food and camcorders from entering the theater, and this whole "security" reason is just a big red herring.
...sounds like the Hoyts at the Crossgates Mall.
Old 04-05-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
Considering that the "management" in most of these theaters are 16 year olds making minimum wage, I don't recommend this course of action. Just lock your bag in the car (but crack a window so she can breathe).
you're just full of them aren't you hehe....
Old 04-05-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Not hard at all.

Hell, I WORK at a theate, but I'm sure not buying the food from there. I'll sneak in a couple cans of Red Bull, some candy bars, and on occasion, a tube of pringles.

But those who sneak in the 24-pacs of MGD... my hat's off to you!
That's what cargo pants are for. Easy to carry a 20oz bottle and bag of candy or anything else. Why pay 3$ for snacks when I can buy them for under a buck at the supermarket next door.

It is one of the things I miss about movie theaters in Manila, Philippines. Not only would they not hassle you about a bag, but many was the time that I walked in carrying a medium pizza from the food court with no hassle at all Might not be like that any more though, that was about 5 years ago.
Old 04-06-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bring food in the theater all the time. Though you have to play it off like this.. Bring things they don't sell.

I once watched Ninja turtles with some costco (back in the day Price club) Pizza. the way to get it in.. Just point out that they don't sell it, so whats the point of trying to limit what you can bring in if it wont hurt business.

Once with my father, they questioned him on bringing some coffee into the place. He responded with a simple "Well, you guys don't sell coffee, so I brought my own". The management passed it off as nothing special.

this no bags deal is a simple new way to prevent camera's and food from getting in. Simple as that.
Old 04-07-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pop popcorn and bring it in. I put in zip lock bags.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.