Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"No Bags in Theatres" Policy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"No Bags in Theatres" Policy

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-03, 04:33 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, who brings bags into the theatre... unless you're a woman, then you're permitted by law to carry a suit case w/ your feminine stuff.

And about that movie threatre connected to mall thing? Do your shopping about the movie. Unless you're weird and want to watch a midnight movie before window shopping.

Last edited by FuzzyBallz; 04-07-03 at 04:37 AM.
Old 04-07-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bus/bike everywhere and usually have a small backpack with me for my things.

Haven't been stopped for it yet, but it sounds like another item for my 'why I watch all my movies on DVD' list.
Old 04-07-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by audrey
IMO banning bags, backpacks, and the like will not increase security one iota. If someone wants to sneak something in, they will; coats, jackets, baggy pants, long skirts, etc. offer ample room to conceal knives, explosives, guns, and the like. Unless the theaters are prepared to install metal detectors and require patrons to submit to searches, the only impact the no bag policy will achieve is to inconvenience movie goers.

Moreover, what about the employees at the theaters and malls themselves? Do we really believe these venues run extensive background checks on all of their employees? What safeguards are in place to prevent a determined employee from launching some form of attack?

I think this policy is ridiculous and will provide zero benefit to consumers.
I am one who believes our malls are just sitting targets for the most part, especially mega malls such as the Mall of America where people from all over the world visit every day. And if something happens at a mall, a terrorist act, it will have to be devastating enough to make the structure fall, if at all possible, and it is possible that the terrorists could get an in with some of the mall "security" or other mall employees to do their deed. Hell, if they got on our planes, they can get in our malls. Whether it be a determined employee, or an employee working with his friends, I would worry about that a whole lot more than some teen ager with his friends in the mall after school and they have their back packs, they walked or whatever, no car to put the back packs in, and they want to catch a movie. I know we have to be cautious, but also reasonable and logical. Also, if somebody is going to sneak a bomb into a theater (Hey, there are already enough bombs in the theaters as it is! The Core, for example!), it's been proven they can hide explosives in their shoes and cause a helluva lot of damage.
Old 04-07-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Panda Phil
I bus/bike everywhere and usually have a small backpack with me for my things.

Haven't been stopped for it yet, but it sounds like another item for my 'why I watch all my movies on DVD' list.
Same here. I have a bookbag/backpack that I carry with me nearly 24/7... Of course I don't bus or bike at all... In my case, it's because I'm an old geezer who can't admit he's not still a college kid... A briefcase just looks stupidly yuppie to me... Anyway, I've never had trouble bringing it to the theater, but I suppose there's a first time for everything...
Old 04-07-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by hotaru_san
this no bags deal is a simple new way to prevent camera's and food from getting in. Simple as that.
In the instances above, where somebody had a DVD in the bag and JUST a DVD, and opened it and showed the clerk, they still wouldn't let them in until they threw the bag away and put in their pocket! Even if I understand the no bag policy, that makes no sense at all. The patron clearly showed they weren't sneaking anything into the theater. Hell, most of the theaters are next to book stores as it is, so they better get used to people buying things and going into the theater. Go to the car? Why should they have to be incovenienced to saitate the anal needs of some moronic clerk who can't pull his head out of his ass? It's like they have this iron clad rule, they must follow that iron clad rule, but since they are mindless morons, they don't bother thinking about that iron clad rule and why it is in place and make everybody suffer. So the people in the examples above tossed the bags and put the DVDs in their pockets, and that was fine, and that just shows how much of a dumbass that clerk was. Just let them in with the bag! You knew it didn't have candy or pop in it! These clerks remind me of the ultra anal airport employee from Meet the Parents who made Stiller stand in while people A-L (or whatever) boarded the plane!
Old 04-07-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
... anal needs of some moronic clerk who can't pull his head out of his ass? ... they are mindless morons ... shows how much of a dumbass that clerk was...
I trust that you're not making a generalization of how all theater clerks are. You're too smart for that, Cal...
Old 04-07-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I sneak in bottled water, thats all
Old 04-07-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
I trust that you're not making a generalization of how all theater clerks are. You're too smart for that, Cal...
Absolutely not. Just targeting the ones in SiberianLlama's and Mittman's stories. And I know all clerks are not like this, but there are a handful that you just have to wonder about! I've worked with a few myself that were like that, the ones that reminded me of the girl in the airport scene in Meet the Parents. Thankfully, it's a minority rather than a majority, but those kinds of people make me wonder when I do run across them.

As for sneaking things into theaters, I rarely do, as I don't like to eat or drink during a movie, as I don't want to have to get up to go to the bathroom, but if I was going to eat during a movie, you bet I'd sneak something in as the concession stand prices are just too much.

When I was a kid, my mom sneaked things into the theater for us kids to eat. Even popcorn. I remember once she had made some popcorn at home, put the popcorn in individual brown lunch bags, and put those bags on top of a grocery sack, hiding the candy and pop underneath. Needless to say, the butter from the popcorn was going thru the bags on top of the grocery sack! The guy at the ticket counter eyed it suspiciously and asked my mom what was in the bag and she said she had some groceries! Hey, at least she didn't lie, and he didn't say anything about it, and let us in!

Last edited by calhoun07; 04-07-03 at 09:24 PM.