Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Core

Old 03-29-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
The dialogue was pretty bad and even though I haven't had physics in 11 years I know there were some glaring holes but the movie wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.
It's a movie about drilling to the center of the Earth, setting off a nuclear weapon and "re-starting" the core...I'm thinking that glaring holes in actual science are allowed.

I saw it, and I enjoyed it. Like most movies of the genre, there wasn't much characterization beyond the archtypes, which really, were you expecting? Its a preposterous joy ride, try and enjoy the ride will ya!
Old 03-29-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Skank
It looks like a direct-to-video movie that accidently got a theatrical release.
hehe "accidentally"

guy 1: No one will see it, it's not possible!

guy 2: But what if it IS!

This looks REAL bad. I always wonder how these academy award winners, from movies and roles that really WERE good, get sucked into films like these. It reminds me of Cuba Gooding and the fact that he hasn't been in a noteworthy movie since Jerry Maguire.
Old 03-29-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cuba was good in "Men of Honor".
Old 03-29-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
I saw it, and I enjoyed it. Like most movies of the genre, there wasn't much characterization beyond the archtypes, which really, were you expecting? Its a preposterous joy ride, try and enjoy the ride will ya!
IMO, a joy ride is totally devoid of anything truly negative, including morality lectures and/or moments of dire drama. Armageddon seemed to have a nice grip on the fact that it was more or less an adolescent boy fantasy and stayed true to that form. Deep Impact could have done that but chose to get preachy, the same with Volcano. From what I have seen, Hillary Swank more or less does preachy stuff in this flick, which why I won't see it.

I want a thrill ride, but I want to totally abandon all seriousness. When someone gets on the screen and legitimately tries to be serious in a preposterous situation, it hurts the experience. It's like having someone on a roller-coaster that does nothing but complain about how scared they are on the way up, then proceeds to get sick while on the ride.
Old 03-30-03, 12:39 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Nothing amazing, just so-so, but hey I knew what I was getting into going into it. All the typical forumla stuff for an action flick.

I did enjoy the setup, and it did remind me of how they rounded up the folks for sphere.

2 out of 4 stars..
Old 03-30-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked it. Sort of. It was pretty good at what I expected it to be, which was mindless explosions and stale acting. However, since I had seen pretty much everything else in the theatre at the time, I thought that it did a good job at holding my attention for the two plus hours that it lasted. It is, however, very predictable, and
Spoiler:
I could pretty much name the order that everyone was going to die from the start

It is not a DVD that I would buy, and it is not a movie that I would recommend to certain people, but for mindless entertainment, it was pretty good.
Old 03-30-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Believe it or not this is my new all-time favorite bad movie.

Completely loony science, 50s type sci-fi theme, cheesy 80s type special effects, serious music, bad dialog but pretty good acting by pretty good actors, formulaic, almost totally predictable and, most importantly, fully aware at all times of just what silly crap it is.
Old 03-30-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Although its somewhat hinted at, I would like to thank the filmmakers for not saddling the film with the formuliac and completely unnecessary
Spoiler:
romance between the two young attractive co-stars who go into the mission with a significant other
Old 03-30-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I totally agree clemente. I was expecting it, but thankfully, it didn't happen.
Old 03-30-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No way in heck I'm seeing this movie, but I'm curious about something. How did they get to the center of the earth? Drill there?
Old 03-30-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by clemente
It's a movie about drilling to the center of the Earth, setting off a nuclear weapon and "re-starting" the core...I'm thinking that glaring holes in actual science are allowed.

I saw it today, too, and I didn't think it was half bad. Much better than I expected. The story was cheesy, but I knew that going in - and I think the filmmakers handled it well. It didn't take itself too seriously - there was some funny stuff in this movie. I think the actors did a good job w/ the material and delivered their lines well - good overrall cast. One scene I loved involved the flock of crazed birds - it was a cool scene out of an old horror flick. Another thing - I did not sit there looking at my watch. It was nice quick two hours and some change. Good afternoon matinee - just don't go in there thinking it is a serious disaster flick.
Old 04-01-03, 12:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so... are the only scenes of mass destruction the zapping of Rome and San Francisco, or are there any other scenes of cities blowing up that aren't featured in the trailer?
Old 04-01-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this movie on Saturday night, and I honestly can't remember if there are any more scenes of cities blowing up. I don't think that there is, but those scenes were pretty cool...
Old 04-01-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
No way in heck I'm seeing this movie, but I'm curious about something. How did they get to the center of the earth? Drill there?
Hmmm? It's not that hard of a question if you had seen the movie. It should take 3 min to answer
Old 04-01-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually didn't mind this at all.

Yes it was way out of whack for reality...but it was a good popcorn flick in my mind.

I'll be buying it. Just for the shuttle scene
Old 04-02-03, 03:41 AM

Location: Turn right by the whatchamacallit and follow the doohickey north
I saw this movie and I enjoyed it. Good popcorn flick. The only miscast in the "Core" crew, in my opinion, was Hilary Swank. I also liked other Sci-Fi movies that weren't so critically acclaimed such as The Postman, Waterworld, and Deep Impact so YMMV.
Old 04-02-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's so bad I sort of like it.
Old 04-02-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't really like many of the performances, including DJ Qualls, Stanley Tucci, and Hillary Swank...
Old 04-02-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the actors and actresses are extremely bad.
Old 04-02-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just checked out the matinee, and I have to say...it was fun. Not great film, no great acting, decent special effects, many armageddon rip-offs, but dammit...it was still a fun popcorn movie. Check your brain at the door, and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-02-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by movieking
It is, however, very predictable, and I could pretty much name the order that everyone was going to die from the start.
Worst popcorn movie ever. Not only did my wife and I predict the order of the deaths as soon as the team was announced, we even predicted every major plot event. Truely sad!

For those of you who have seen "View From the Top", this is almost as bad! We saw both of them last weekend and no longer have the urge to see movies any more. Thank god for "The Mighty Wind" coming soon.
Old 04-03-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The adult yet stupid version of Armageddon

I really liked it. The ending was let down by weak special effects and visual design, but the overall entertainment level was pretty high. I attribute that to the likeable characters and actors, as well as the genial interactions they have. Certain small exchanges seemed very spontaneous and real. Also, the director did a good job of moving things along and (usually) generating tension as needed.

The best description I can give The Core is that it is the less obnoxious, less arch, "for adults yet still not intelligent" version of Armageddon. Does that make sense? Just like Armageddon, it does not try to be deep or arty or impart some profound message, but whereas Armageddon goes for the most obnoxious jackass characters and MTV approach (music, editing, visuals) at every turn, The Core goes for a more low key yet smoothly professional approach that can be appreciated by all. It's been a damn long time since I've seen a movie that is definitely 'pure entertainment' yet doesn't pander to the MTV in-your-face stereotypes.

BTW...

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
IMO, a joy ride is totally devoid of anything truly negative, including morality lectures and/or moments of dire drama. Armageddon seemed to have a nice grip on the fact that it was more or less an adolescent boy fantasy and stayed true to that form. Deep Impact could have done that but chose to get preachy, the same with Volcano. From what I have seen, Hillary Swank more or less does preachy stuff in this flick, which why I won't see it.
You are wrong. If anything, this film preaches less than any disaster/folly of man flick I've ever seen. At moments where most films would insert preaching, here the characters instead just roll their eyes or share a knowing look with each other.

Plus, overcoming dire drama can sure as hell be entertaining, which produces joy in the viewer and hence doesn't contradict the definition of joy ride IMHO. Moreover, it is patently obvious that many moments in Armageddon are intended to be extremely moving high drama. There's a crowd of people who I think enjoy Armageddon but believe they're above it and can see through it as some kind of sublimely ridiculous trash and that that is the point. But from what I've observed, most "joe six pack" who like Armageddon just flat out take it at face value and are genuinely moved by the moments of drama. J6P being the ultimate joy ride audience, I don't think it's valid to say a successful joy ride movie must be completely devoid of any sadness, lecturing, or dire drama. Those elements simply must be balanced out by more exciting and happy moments.
Old 04-05-03, 05:50 AM
Banned

If you're into B movies, or C movies, then see it. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague. I mean, I knew it was bad, but hey, I saw it for free, so what the hell, right? Well, I learned that nothing is free, as I'll be paying for this one in dead brain cells.

Here's my writeup (tells the whole story, more or less):

Spoiler:
Okay, basic plot: The outer core of the earth has stopped spinning for unknown reasons. This, naturally, has screwed with the "protective electromagnetic field of the earth". Not once were actual terms for such things as the Van Allen belt used, mind you. This is causing all sorts of hell on earth: as wacky EMP pulses which stop pacemakers and yet don't seem to interfere with the street lights, weird animal behavior such as pigeons getting fed up with going coo all day and attacking a London suburb, and eventually even a big giant microwave beam from the sun that melts a good chunk of the golden gate bridge and half the town of San Francisco.

In any case, ignoring the bad science, they decide they have to start the core spinning again. It's a big thing, so you need a big explosion to do it (of course...) Surprise, surprise, let's take a nuke down there and blow the hell out of it. What the hell, make it 5 nukes.

So they build a ship that not only can withstand the pressures involved due to it's hull made of "unobtainium" (I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried), they build it like a train, with 6 compartments to it. Mounted on the front is a big ultrasonic laser like device which makes rock magically disappear or something. In any case, they stick 6 guys in it including two college professors (one of which is in a seemingly unrelated field), two astronauts (one of which is the required "hot chick"), the designer of the ship (wacky guy in a desert working on this sort of thing for the last 20 years), and one annoying professor/science/government guy (who stole the designer's stuff 20 years ago and thus was the guy who put him in the desert in the first place). They somehow have video communication with the mission control all the way down, and somehow missed the fact that if they have that, they could have made the ship remote controlled and a third of the size. Oh, and let's not forget the uber-hacker guy named "Rat" they get to "control the internet" so that the whole thing can remain secret, but who ends up screwing the government over in order to help the crew of the ship.

Now, we've got these guys going to the core. Appearantly, this magic ship can do about 60 knots through solid ****ing rock, so they're making good time. Then they crash into a giant hollow ****ing geode just sitting around in the mantle. My BS indicator exploded when I saw this wacky nonsense. They're crashing through badly made fake purple crystals the size of a tractor trailer, and this of course jams their spinning laser dealie. So they have to get out to fix the damn thing, which requires using half of their liquid nitrogen cooling system to cool door off (poor design). Oh yeah, and they poked a hole in the top of the geode thing coming in, so it's now filling up with liquid hot magma.

So, there's some heroics, the commanding pilot dies, thus putting the hot girl in charge. They narrowly escape, get to the outer core, and realize that the bomb won't work because they screwed up the calculations. At this point it's revealed by the annoying government scientist that there's a backup plan called "Destini" that was the cause of the whole problem to being with. They stole this idea from somewhere, where exactly I forget. The idea is that of a big earthquake machine that, using electromagnetics, can cause an earthquake at any point on the globe. They messed it up and it's what stopped the core spinning. Plan B is to use it again to attempt to restart it. Naturally, this is damn risky, they all know it, and the remaining crew on the ship isn't having any. Rat, our annoying uber-hacker, hacks the thing and reroutes it's power to Coney Island to buy some more time.

So they come up with the wonderful idea that instead of one big 1000 megaton blast, they'll have 5 200 megatons blasts in series to get it spinning again (damn good thing that they didn't bring just one bomb). Oh, except that the nukes won't stand the pressure. Good thing we have 5 remaining ejectable compartments on the ship, huh? The designer has to die to make it possible to eject them (poor design again) but it'll work. At the last minute they realize that the last nuke has to be bigger than the rest for some reason, so the guy takes the fuel rods from the reactor powering this digging ship and tosses them in there with the nuke before ejecting it. Naturally, this leaves them dead in the magma.

But wait! With just minutes to spare, professor guy remembers that unobtainium generates energy when it's hot! So, with some incredibly fast rewiring, and even welding no less, they get the ship powered up, and ride the shockwave up to Hawaii. Of course, they come out underwater, where it's cold, and so lose power with only 800 feet to go. However, our uber-hacker, Rat, surmises that due to the ultrasonics, they can find them by, believe it or not, following the freakin' singing whales, and all is good.

For once, the acting wasn't terrible given the movie. Usually I dislike the acting in crap movies like this, but given the truly amazingly awful plot, these guys did an okay job.

In summary, I'm glad I didn't pay to see this movie, because if I had paid to see it, I'd be in jail for killing somebody right about now.

Last edited by Otto; 04-05-03 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-09-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally saw the movie, a few days ago.

It was terrific(al)ly directed by John Amiel, who I think is underrated. But it was matched with just as terrific(al)ly horrible script. I thought the acting was horrible, but it probably had more to do with script than the acters. If this movie didn't make money, I blame it on that, and plus the fact they kept on delaying it.

Jon Amiel, did The Man Who Knew Too Little starring Bill Murray, a few years back, which I found highly entertaining. Hope this movie doesn't jinx him.
Old 04-10-03, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Ergyu
reminds me of Cuba Gooding and the fact that he hasn't been in a noteworthy movie since Jerry Maguire.
You should probably check out Men of Honor. Definately His best role since Maguire and an awesome movie to boot.

Regarding The Core it looks like a pretty good popcorn, fluff film and I'm looking forward to it. In the same vein, I actually liked Jason X. I doubt it's worse than that.

Last edited by buckee1; 04-10-03 at 07:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.