DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Why not Marlon Brando as Kingpin? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/281529-why-not-marlon-brando-kingpin.html)

Aphex Twin 03-26-03 03:52 PM

Why not Marlon Brando as Kingpin?

I mean...I really did remember Kingpin being white in the comics. The one in the Daredevil movie is black from what I can tell. Brando would have been perfect. He's also a pretty decent actor.

Josh-da-man 03-26-03 03:54 PM

Because he wouldn't keep his pants on and they wanted a PG-13 film?

WiccanPagan 03-26-03 04:25 PM

michael clark duncan was excellent as kingpin. give it a watch it you don't believe me.

majorjoe23 03-26-03 04:27 PM

Because the Kingpin is 400 lbs of muscle, Marlon Brando is 400 pounds of goo and a few days shy of being 77. Did you see The, he could hardly stand under his own power. Very intimidating.

ChemDoc 03-26-03 04:27 PM

Brando is too old!

-doc

Dr. DVD 03-26-03 07:30 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Because the Kingpin is 400 lbs of muscle, Marlon Brando is 400 pounds of goo and a few days shy of being 77. Did you see The, he could hardly stand under his own power. Very intimidating.
What he said.

badger1997 03-26-03 08:52 PM

It was Michael Clarke Duncan and this movie was released over a month ago. Duncan did more than an adequate job. Just move on.

jaeufraser 03-26-03 10:01 PM

Don't forget the fact that Marlon Brando is a strange man who is reportedly very difficult to work with and costs a lot of money. Seems like too much trouble to deal with for a fat old man who used to be a great actor.

conscience 03-26-03 10:25 PM

Brando is a little too young to play Kingpin as of 2003.

conscience 03-26-03 10:26 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Don't forget the fact that Marlon Brando is a strange man who is reportedly very difficult to work with and costs a lot of money. Seems like too much trouble to deal with for a fat old man who used to be a great actor.
He still is a great actor. It's just no one wants to work with him (note: FOR him)

edytwinky 03-27-03 12:26 AM

I was very satisfied with Michael Clarke Duncan. Great job

Jackskeleton 03-27-03 04:48 AM

Brando is way to fat. ;) not to mention it would have put fox way in the hole as Brando's price grows bigger then his size..

custom001 03-27-03 08:12 AM

Just imagine what would have happened, if Daredevil
Spoiler:
kicked Marlon Brando's kneecaps!
;)
not a pretty picture.

majorjoe23 03-27-03 12:29 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Because the Kingpin is 400 lbs of muscle, Marlon Brando is 400 pounds of goo and a few days shy of being 77. Did you see The Score? He could hardly stand under his own power. Very intimidating.

Kudama 03-28-03 07:13 AM

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
michael clark duncan was excellent as kingpin. give it a watch it you don't believe me.
:up: full agreement here

Kingpin didn’t sit around in a wicker chair, mumbling all day in the comics. He was like Marvel’s big, giant Lex Luthor. They cast this part perfectly IMO.

majorjoe23 03-28-03 09:19 AM

Why did I quote myself? Have I gone insane?

dom56 03-28-03 09:28 AM

I thought Brando was going to be cast as The Blob in the next future X-Men film. :)

JoeyOhhhh 03-28-03 12:51 PM

Re: Why not Marlon Brando as Kingpin?

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
The one in the Daredevil movie is black from what I can tell.
What tipped you off? ;)

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

majorjoe23 03-28-03 03:30 PM

Allow me to play the part of Moviegoer Q. Average, you play you.

You: Can you believe Kingpin is black?

MQA: Who?

You: The bad guy in the Daredevil movie.

MQA: Oh, uh, yeah, it's the Pulp Fiction guy, right?

You: No, it's the guy from the Green Mile. Kingpin is white in the comics.

MQA: He's a comic character? What's he like?

You: Well, he's big and strong and bald...

MQA: Sounds like the Green Mile guy.

You: But he's white in the comics.

MQA: I don't read comics, did this guy ever fight Superman?

It really doesn't matter, the general public doesn't know Kingpin, so they could care less.

adamblast 03-28-03 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Because he wouldn't keep his pants on and they wanted a PG-13 film?
"Just shoot me from the waist up! You call yourself a director?"