Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your impressions about the Oscars!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know what's wrong with me but I was bored to death...

For the first time in about 10 years I actually switched channels on and off multiple times...

And I HATE musicals so I went singing to the bathroom as "Chicago" got the best picture award

What did you guys think?
Old 03-23-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It was decent. Nothing all that different from the past. And some good surprises at the end.
Old 03-24-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tv forum had a long thread about it
Old 03-24-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Good :
Julie Andrews & Olivia Dehavilland -- Just seeing these two made me long for the old days of Hollywood..and besides..that's Mary freakin' Poppins man!
Adrian Brody -- BEST speech of the night.
Steve Martin
Peter O'Toole
Kathy Bates
Jack's gay?

Bad :
Eminem winning
Roman Polanski's standing O
Martin Scorsese losing
Nicole Kidman's attempt at a commentary about the war/art
U2 losing
Not being a fast enough typist to keep up with the DVD Talk thread..
Old 03-24-03, 12:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
Bad :
Roman Polanski's standing O
Martin Scorsese losing
I don't suppore you notice who was one of the first to stand for Polanski?
Old 03-24-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Good :
Adrian Brody -- BEST speech of the night.
Definitely!! Was that Oscar moment I was waiting for during the night! And I haven't even seen the film yet and I really want to see it now! Also for Spirited Away winning best animated film!

Bad :
Eminem winning

Uggh!! No kidding. This was one of few years I actually got into a lot of the other songs that were played and liked them. Fortunately I missed Eminem's live performance there. It's bad enough having to deal with them in the grammies or deal with them at the top of our "top hits" lists, etc. on the internet radio servers I deal with at work every day!
Old 03-24-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
As a show this years Oscars were pretty good.

Steve Martin was a good host.

I agree with Rouge, Adrian Brodys speech was perfect.

Eminem winning: eh I don't care, I was hoping for U2. And I'm happy Chicago didn't win because I really didn't like that song.

Too bad for Scorcese, I was really hoping that he would win. Polanski is an excellent director so good for him, but I have not seen the Pianist yet.

Peter O'Toole
Kirk Douglass
Micky Mouse
Jennifer Garner
Old 03-24-03, 12:45 AM

Good:
Adrian Brody wins!
Roman Polanski wins!
Adrian Brody's speech, and getting the orchestra to stop playing
yeah, gay Jack Nicholson was funny
Chicago doesn't take all (although I really liked the movie, it didn't deserve -everything-)

Crap:
Eminem wins
Christopher Walken doesn't win
Michael Moore's speech
Some of the bad jokes by Steve Martin
The lengthy look at all fifty-something award winners from the past... bla!
Old 03-24-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Eminem didn't perform at the Oscars. But I was glad he won. I found all the other songs nominated (including Chicago's song, a song I hated from a movie I loved) boring and nothing special. I really liked Lose Yourself but didn't think it would stand a chance in hell of winning. A nice surprise for me.

I didn't give Brody much of a chance of winning even though I loved his performance, but his speech was definitely the highlight of the show for me. Classy and a great memory.

And nothing can beat Michael Moore's rant and the subsequent booing for great live television. Very funny, if classless, stuff.

In the end, I was just glad that Whoopi wasn't hosting and that there were a few surprises over the course of the night. But man, I was really hoping for that Celine Dion interpretation of Lose Yourself that never came to be.
Old 03-24-03, 01:08 AM
Banned

Michael Moore ought to be prosecuted for sedition.
Old 03-24-03, 01:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by svenge
Michael Moore ought to be prosecuted for sedition.
Somebody needs to bone up on their constitution. Especially the First Amendment.
Old 03-24-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good:

Polanski finally getting the oscar gold.
Brody beating the odds and delivering a heart felt speech.
Brody giving halle berry a nice surprise.
Chris Cooper.
Harvey weinstein not getting up to applaud before they called "chicago" for best picture.
Zeta-Jones not attempting to bounce and dance around while pregnant.
Steve martin lending wit to the proceedings.
A good song actually winning the oscar.
Zellwegger not delivering an exceptance speech.
Jack Nicholson wearing shades.

Bad:

Enough lulls to make me do other things while watching. Yawn.
Nicole kidman attempting to sound sincere.
No love for far from heaven.
Julianne moore losing not once, but twice!
The usual assortment of hot young actors presenting awards.
Montages. Montages. Montages. Enough already.
Yet again an oscar going to a foreign film not many have seen or care much about.
Me losing the oscar pool.
Old 03-24-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I loved Eminem winning. He deserves it as much as anyone and i'm glad they recognized the song.

I hated Michael Moore's speech and i'm glad they hit the music before he was finished. I don't believe an awards show is the right place to peddle Anti-War settlements.
Old 03-24-03, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for: Adrien Brody, Bowling for Columbine, Spirited Away, Polanski, Conrad Hall, Eminem, Zeta-Jones win and duet w/ Queen Latifah, Peter O'Toole, Steve Martin as host
for: Michael Moore's speech, HERO not winning, Miyazaki not showing up, Polanski not showing up, Scorsese & Gangs being snubbed, Christopher Walken not winning, John Williams not winning and Minority Report being snubbed

Overall though, a pretty good show and better than most because of the suprises and upsets in a lot of the categories this time!

Last edited by paratize; 03-24-03 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-24-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My ups: Adrian Brody and the breathe of fresh air he gave the proceedings. I couldn't tell if Halle was pissed or amused or pleasantly stunned afterward Another one to Chris Cooper and his win. Nice to see a journeyman character actor pull off the big one. Catherine Zeta Jones' breasts get another nod . A big thumb for Peter O'Toole. He's forgotten more about acting than most actors have ever learned. And what a classy, clever speech. Also, a nod to Micheal and Kirk Douglas and their playful presentation.

My downs: He has talent but Michael Moore is mostly a petulant loudmouth who will go after anyone and anything that doesn't conform to his narrow view of how the world should be. I was glad to see his very ill-timed and mean-spirited (and incoherent ) little diatribe booed down. And unless they know what they're going to say about sensitive subjects, accepters should just do their song and dance and get off the stage instead of doing what Nicole Kidman did and sound trite and phony.

BTW, did the babe quotient rise dramatically over last year or was it just me? Not as many frail, gaunt looking starlets.
Old 03-24-03, 02:37 AM

overall, boring. i channel surfed often. too bad other tv was news. good eminem winning. haters all over on this and glad brody won, too. his speech wasn't great (it really wasn't) but good to hear it from someone not american. polanski winning even though he wasn't gonna show good, too.
Old 03-24-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sunday Morning

Bad:
Nicole kidman attempting to sound sincere.
No love for far from heaven.
Julianne moore losing not once, but twice!
No doubt, on all counts.

I really enjoyed Nicole's little "I need a moment to myself" bit She's an actress, y'know. For one brief, giddy second, when she turned around, I thought she was going to vomit. Would've been appropriate.
Old 03-24-03, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Any chance Mike's speech will end up as an Easter of egg on the "Bowling for Columbine" DVD?
Old 03-24-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought that the acadamy gave it to kidman this year since they gave her a big screw job last year by not giving it to moulin rouge.
Old 03-24-03, 07:37 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Sunday Morning

Bad:

Yet again an oscar going to a foreign film not many have seen or care much about.
Because God forbid the Oscars would have anything to do with quality, but instead should be just another popularity contest.
Old 03-24-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to Polanski, Brody, and the screenplay for The Pianist winning

One-dimensional characters and an extremely boring narrative (who thought the Holocaust could be boring?).

Scorsese, Day-Lewis, and Kaufman deserved those awards.

I was actually happy when Chicago won Best Picture, not because I was crazy about the movie, but because it wasn't another Pianist win.

And that guy from Y Tu Mama Tambien and Michael Moore were both lame.
Old 03-24-03, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Sedition: Straight from the 1798 Act:

That if any persons shall unlawfully combine or conspire together, with intent to oppose any measure or measures of the government of the United States, which are or shall be directed by proper authority, or to impede the operation of any law of the United States, or to intimidate or prevent any person holding a place or office in or under the government of the United States, from undertaking, performing or executing his trust or duty; and if any person or persons, with intent as aforesaid, shall counsel, advise or attempt to procure any insurrection, riot. unlawful assembly, or combination, whether such conspiracy, threatening, counsel, advice, or attempt shall have the proposed effect or not, he or they shall be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and on conviction, before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars, and by imprisonment during a term not less than six months nor exceeding five years; and further, at the discretion of the court may be holden to find sureties for his good behaviour in such sum, and for such time, as the said court may direct.

Now that the public service announcement is out of the way:

Eminem winning - I am so tired of insipid adult contemporary crap like the song from the Wild Thornberries winning. Makes up for South Park losing to Phil Collins a few years back.
Adrien Brody - Seemd to be really overwhelmed and honestly appreciative. Nice speech, and nice they respected him enough to finish.
Michael Moore - Anybody who pisses off conservatives this much must be doing something right
Martin Scorsee losing - give a great artist an oscar when they make a great movie, not because they're due to win one.

Show length. Checked in at 11:30 after Futurama, and it was going strong with no sign of being over soon. Went to bed. See this years Grammy awards for proof that these shows don't need hosts at all.
Parade of past winners - kind of neat to see some of those oldies are still alive, but too long, and we saw half those people earlier anyhow.
Old 03-24-03, 08:36 AM

Section 4 of the 1798 Sedition Act:

SEC. 4. That this act shall continue to be in force until March 3, 1801, and no longer....

In any case, Moore's comments were definately rambling, but frankly, the show was completely lifeless and uneventful until he injected some life into it.

I was glad their were no interpretive dances this year, but all these video montages have to go. The only one I appreciate seeing is to honor all the legends that died over the past year. I'd like to see them stop doing musical performances and the coup de grace of all ass-kissing segments, the look-at-all-the- Oscar-winners-we-can-fit-on-the-stage segment. The worst part about all of these pointless segments is that they then have to cut short the speeches of the people they are their to honor. When they dropped the microphone from those winners earlier in the night, I was incredulous.

Cheers to Brody for making them stop the music!

IMDB had a poll up last week that said "I will turn of the Oscars if...". One of the choices was if anyone presented an award with an animated character. Unfortunately I was with others who wanted to watch the show, so I couldn't, but it was horrible.

Steve Martin was only funny when it seemed like he was adlibbing, it sounded like he didn't write the rest of those lame jokes. I love Martin, so it was sort of disappointing.

Overall, the show had a few pleasant surprises, but it was mostly boring. I am not waiting for the DVD!

EDIT: One other thing that bothered me was although this was the 75th anniversary, few of the segments--except perhaps when they had all of the former winners out there (which was not that special since they've done it before)--really touched upon Oscar's rich history. I would have liked more classy legends like Olivia de Havilland presenting awards, not today's "stars" that are promoting movies currently in theaters. There's enough quality moments and film history worth exploring for a Ken Burns documentary. I wonder, is anything like that in the works, or will they wait 25 years (and 10 video formats) from now?

Last edited by angryyoungman; 03-24-03 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-24-03, 10:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I loved how Halle Barry kind of mildly freaked out there after the kiss by Adrien Brody.

The acceptence speech by O'Toole was eloquent.

Best win: "Spirited Away" (Take that Disney)

Oscars to Almodovar, the foreign feature "Nowhere In Africa" (my second favourite film of last year), and Zeta-Jones were rightfully so awarded.

the adlib (I assume) "and by a nose..." was a tad tacky and rude.

I don't care what the Academy thought was the winner for best score of 2002. My favourite (and completely ignored) was Terrance Blanchard's fantastic score to "25th Hour"

Last edited by Giles; 03-24-03 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-24-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
Best win: "Spirited Away" (Take that Disney)
SA was released by Buena Vista in America. So, yes, they did take that, gladly...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.