Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your impressions about the Oscars!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your impressions about the Oscars!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gattman

Only in America can a man be booed for saying "We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president", but a man who has raped a 13/14 year old be applauded and can't legally enter the country without being arrested
Then again, only in America can Moore spout his propoganda freely, but only in America can an audience boo what he's saying. It's all a vicious circle. He's free to speak, but others are certainly free to object to it.

As for Polanski, I think they were applauding him for his film, not for him as a person. Why do you think Woody Allen gets critical praise while being reviled at the same time?
Old 03-24-03, 05:51 PM

I did not expect my favorite, Lord of the Rings to win best pic. Fantasy films always get overlooked. Knowing them, they would probably give the Oscar to Good Burger over LOTR[/sarcasm]. BUT why in the world was LOTR NOT EVEN NOMINATED for best costumes, best makeup, or best cinematography? Did these people even see the film? There were only two nominees for makeup, Frida and The Time Machine? WTF? How hard is it to put some lipstick on Selma Hayek? Did they not see the orcs in LOTR? I don't understand. And costumes? Come on! All that detailed armor swords, etc in LOTR did not deserve the Oscar over some stupid lingerie in Chicago? I'd even pick Spider-Man for best costumes over that. And of course, they also think the film directed itself, since PJ was not even nominated for best director. Go ahead and flame me as long as you can give me some answers 'cause I just don't get it!
Old 03-24-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its rules where everything must be original for those catagories, so thats why it didn't get cinnemtography or makeup. Thank god Time Machine did not win for makeup. That would have been an embarassment to the acadamy for that terrible movie.
Old 03-24-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I was bored to tears. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was the war that dampened my spirits.

First of all, Steve Martin was flat out terrible in my opinion. All but 3-4 of his jokes were not funny. Next time, how about not having every joke aimed at someone in the audience, not to mention get some funny ones.

Michael Moore was ridiculous and pathetic, but he's always been ridiculous and pathetic. He has the right to his opinion, but you don't make a complete ass of yourself on that stage. Thank God they booed him off the stage. Maybe he can go live with Saddam.

I thought the best moments were Adrian Brody and Peter O'toole. Brody laying one mean kiss on Halle Berry was hilarious. I wish I could have seen the look on her husband's face at that point.

The continual sight of Weinberg's lard ass. I can't stand that guy.
Old 03-24-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Edith Bunker- its Weinstien, not weinberg
Archie Bunker- Weinstein weinberg it don't matter
Old 03-24-03, 06:48 PM

Chit! Can't believe I wrote Weinberg. Weinstein. And yes, Archie is correct. It doesn't matter.
Old 03-24-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
75th Academy Awards Hypocrisy at its finest

Only in America can a man be booed for saying "We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president", but a man who has raped a 13/14 year old be applauded and can't legally enter the country without being arrested

My estimation of Americans slipped another notch last night
Oh yeah, America is just horrible isn't it. Oh wait, isn't it France that is actully allowing this convicted rapist to live in their country even though he is wanted by the US? Gee, at least America has made it clear that he would be arrested if he enters the country.

And I don't just say that to bash France but to point out how ridiculous it is to judge America because some people in Hollywood applauded Polanski's win for best director.

Last edited by sherm42; 03-24-03 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-24-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
75th Academy Awards Hypocrisy at its finest

My estimation of Americans slipped another notch last night

Since you don't even live in America, I am going to ignore this after my first reading.

My estimation of Australians was already at the lowest point. But what can you say about drunks chasing alligators.

The Pianist
-Brody
-Polanski
-Ronald Harwood's screenplay
Jack Nicholson being there (as usual) He is so cool.
Chris Cooper

Michael Moore (Gez I hate him)
Julianne Moore shut out
Chicago winning best picture over The Pianist
No acting nominee clips (even though I have seen the films, I still like seeing the clips they choose.)
Although I am glad Polanski won, seeing Scorsese shut out again makes me

Overall, as I said before, the yah's outweight the nah's this year.
Old 03-24-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems alright, until Eminem wins. LoL I suppose you have to even that out with Spirited Away winning.
Old 03-24-03, 08:38 PM

Who was that douche bag that accepted for Eminem's win? I didn't see the acceptance speech, only when he was getting up to go accept. Was that Eminem? He should have been ashamed and embarrased for what he was wearing, whoever he was. He almost ran over John Williams trying to go up to accept. At least wear a suit. Geez!

"We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president"
I have no desire to debate politics, but our rules for electing President's are whoever gets the number of electoral votes they need, wins. Bush did that. There were no fictitious election results. We have no fictitious President. And I voted for Gore and I'm not supid enough to believe that.

Last edited by Terrell; 03-24-03 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-24-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Terrell
I have no desire to debate politics, but our rules for electing President's are whoever gets the number of electoral votes they need, wins. Bush did that. There were no fictitious election results. We have no fictitious President. And I voted for Gore and I'm not supid enough to believe that.
Can you come play over in the war fourm? We still have a few conspiracy theorists over there.
Old 03-25-03, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by brizz
Yeah...he's the uneducated one
Way to sidestep his point, brizz. Was that you I saw dancing on the table behind Queen Latifah in the musical number?
Old 03-25-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't sidestep anything....he's the one casting aspersions with a bunch of republican bylines that are meaningless and trollish....and with appalling grammar to boot. It gets old refuting the same tired bs over and over again, but if you really want a proper resonse, see Buck Turgidson's post above.
Old 03-25-03, 03:29 AM
Banned

If everybody who won and went up there to just give their point of view on things instead of just thanking for being given an Oscar it would turn the event into crap.
Now people booed Moore for saying what he did.
Now imagine how liberal Hollywood would react if someone went upthere to preach The Bible and say things about homosexuals in their speech.
Old 03-25-03, 10:32 AM

I was really surprised and happy that Almodovar won a screenplay award. Talk to Her really blew me away - I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in a really long time. The screenplay was original and audacious, yet it still worked as entertainment.

It's a shame the movie wasn't able to get in on the best foreign language film list. Still, I'm sure Almodovar went home happy anyway.

Bill Chance
The Daily Epiphany
Old 03-25-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think, that for the most part, the Oscars are a waste of time.
Old 03-25-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Michael Caine was in The Quiet American as well as Blame It On Rio.
Old 03-25-03, 06:58 PM

Good:
Eminem (finally an Oscar song that I like wins)
Nicole Kidman
Adrian Brody
Steve Martin
U2 losing

Bad:
Michael Moore's speech (although it was an entertaining moment)
Chicago as best picture
Mickey Mouse
Old 03-25-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
Also with Al Pacino, why did he win for Scent of a Woman?
Because it was a great performance.
Old 03-25-03, 09:14 PM

The Good
Steve Martin- very funny
Chicago won best picture
Catherine Zeta-Jones winning and performing
Adrien Brody and Nicole Kidman gave good speeches
The late great Conrad L. Hall's son, accepting the best cinematography was a rather touching moment

The Bad
Martin Scorsese not winning best director, and even more so Gangs of New York not winning a single nomination out of ten!
Far From Heaven- 0 oscars
Julianne Moore 0/2

The Ugly
Of course its the Michael Moore speech (embarrassment to the Oscars)

Last edited by bsktballDude1; 03-25-03 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-25-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The people are fighting in Iraq to defend Micheal Moore's right to go on stage and make an ass out of himself. You are allowed to have an opinion. Although it was the wrong time to say his opinion he still has a right to it. If everyone had to support the war this wouldnt be America.
Old 03-25-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FWIW, I just noticed that Adrien Brody is now the youngest person to win a Best Actor Oscar.

Previous record holder:

Richard Dreyfuss for The Goodbye Girl
He was 30 when he received the Oscar in 1978 (for the 1977 film).

Adrien Brody is 29.
Old 03-25-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
The people are fighting in Iraq to defend Micheal Moore's right to go on stage and make an ass out of himself. You are allowed to have an opinion. Although it was the wrong time to say his opinion he still has a right to it. If everyone had to support the war this wouldnt be America.
Not again.

The war now in Iraq has ABSOLUTELY zero bearing on free speech, the first Amendment, or any amendment, in the US.

If Saddam takes over and becomes the ruler the US, then you may have a good case with you. But even if Saddam launches a chemical assault on the US ,this still won't have ANY bearing on free speech or the First Amendment. It will, however, create an unimaginable disaster and people's security will be completely destroyed.

The only people who has the ability to restrict YOUR free speech is the US government. So please, please just STOP with the faulty analogies.