Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your impressions about the Oscars!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your impressions about the Oscars!!

Old 03-24-03, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
God bless Michael Moore for biting the hand that feeds him. Funny how the same people who gave him the award booed him for the same opinions they had previously given a standing ovation. How dare an artist live the principles that their art preaches!

I was unhappy with the GONY shutout, but Brody and Polanski were very deserving as well. I think Scorsese was hurt by the Miramax publicity machine - did anyone read the recent Time interview? He seemed so self-effacing and embarrased by the hooplah.

All in all, a good Oscar night. Although I'm not the hugest Chicago fan, it was still a much better choice than many recent years. The Academy exhibited very good taste all-around in a very strong year. I also got a kick out of seeing the Spellbound filmmakers onstage - I got the chance to meet and talk to them a little after a screening at the Williamstown Film Festival last year, and when they were on-camera I pointed like a goof and yelled "I know them! I know them!"

Also, Borgnine and Martin? HOTT.
Old 03-24-03, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
SA was released by Buena Vista in America. So, yes, they did take that, gladly...
Yeah I know, I was slightly being sarcastic. But you have to admit two Disney films nominated. "Stitch" being vastly superior to the train wreck of a movie "Treasure Planet" the Academy members decided to be different and award an animated film that wasn't American. Disney might be still be smiling their way to the banks on this one, but lets hope this is a reality check to the animation department that style over substance ("visuals - story") will change for the better.
Old 03-24-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish the Oscars could just be about the awards, man. I could care less about the video montages, the jokes, the Best Song performances, the pre-show, the self-congratulatory pats on the back (like the stage full of Oscar winners -- WTF?)... all of that junk is just padding, in a show that already runs so long that they have to cut short the friggin' awards themselves.

And while I am in fine mid-morning, third cup of coffee rant form, what the heck was the deal with the Best Makeup Oscar nominees? Frida and The Time Machine???

Whaaa??? (Eye rub) I said, whaaaaa?

So now we have a new award for the Best Unibrow? And someone out there in Hollywood really thought that an albino Jeremy Irons was some kind of unique makeup challenge? Heck, even a clown can put on white greasepaint.

Not that I really care who wins Best Makeup... but did these people even see Lord of the Rings? In fact, I can come up with 10 films from 2002 that should have been nominated before either of these films:

Road to Perdition
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Gangs of New York
Chicago
The Hours
The Pianist
Solaris
Far From Heaven
About Schmidt
Adaptation

That's just off the top of my head (more or less), so I am sure that there are many more I have not even considered.

But maybe it's just me. Grumble, grumble. Need more coffee.
Old 03-24-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone notice that U2 changed part of the lyrics to their song?

The line in the song goes: "There's a cloud on the New York skyline."

During the Oscars, Bono sang "There's a cloud on the desert skyline."

A rather sly jab at the war. Very subtle.
Old 03-24-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by sherm42
Anyone notice that U2 changed part of the lyrics to their song?

The line in the song goes: "There's a cloud on the New York skyline."

During the Oscars, Bono sang "There's a cloud on the desert skyline."

A rather sly jab at the war. Very subtle.
Or, perhaps they wanted to avoid a possible association with the 9/11 tradedy.
Old 03-24-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ncmojo
And while I am in fine mid-morning, third cup of coffee rant form, what the heck was the deal with the Best Makeup Oscar nominees? Frida and The Time Machine???

Whaaa??? (Eye rub) I said, whaaaaa?

So now we have a new award for the Best Unibrow? And someone out there in Hollywood really thought that an albino Jeremy Irons was some kind of unique makeup challenge? Heck, even a clown can put on white greasepaint.
I think Best Makeup should have gone to a little film called...

The Santa Clause 2!

Actually, I think the original was nominated for the award...but with only two nominees you have to blame the studio for not even campaigning. C'mon, look at that makeup!
Old 03-24-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And i just had to do this...

Old 03-24-03, 12:02 PM
RaZorBlade

Not that I really care who wins Best Makeup... but did these people even see Lord of the Rings? In fact, I can come up with 10 films from 2002 that should have been nominated before either of these films:

The Hours
I've heard that Kidman's nose in The Hours was computer generated (I've never confirmed that, though). If so, it would be a bit of a debate about whether computer-generated makeup is still makeup. That might have something to do with why it wasn't nominated...
Old 03-24-03, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by RaZorBlade
I've heard that Kidman's nose in The Hours was computer generated (I've never confirmed that, though). If so, it would be a bit of a debate about whether computer-generated makeup is still makeup. That might have something to do with why it wasn't nominated...
I heard that it was both--prosthetic AND computer generated. What that means, I don't know. That's a lot of trouble for a nose.
Old 03-24-03, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by CCGoldRush
I heard that it was both--prosthetic AND computer generated. What that means, I don't know. That's a lot of trouble for a nose.
What I had heard was the nose itself was a prosthetic and then they used CGI to shade it so it matched Kidman's skin tone. I personally thought it was a gag more than anything else. Why couldn't she play Woolf with her own nose? I don't care if she looks exactly like Woolf, I'm not even sure what Woolf really looked like.
Old 03-24-03, 02:31 PM

They had to go in and digitally touch up Kidman's nose in close ups.
Old 03-24-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Guess they didn't have enough time to digitally touch up her acting..?
Old 03-24-03, 03:06 PM

I wonder if Michael Moore and others protest the treatment of Iraqi people under Saddams regime. I wonder if him and Susan Sarandon led protests when Saddams gased 6,000 of his own people in the late 80's. It looks like Moore is fighting his own battle as a liberal against conservatives. I'm not sure he really even cares about the death caused by the other side. He comes across as very uneducated, though I was quite amused by his rant. I think everyone knew that he would say something like that. Very predictable. Adrian Brody was very sincere on the other hand. He seemed to genuinely care about what's going on. He gained a lot of respect around the country for his thoughtful words. I'll bet that it helps his career too. Now everyone knows how much of a jackass Michael Moore is.
Old 03-24-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I the only sick perverted bastid who wanted Mickey mouse to pull an uncut "baby Herman" and sneak under there and give her the finger.
Old 03-24-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 371 Posts
Who wouldn't want to "Baby Herman" Jennifer Garner?

*Homer Simpson drooling noise*
Old 03-24-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dudikoff
I wonder if Michael Moore and others protest the treatment of Iraqi people under Saddams regime. I wonder if him and Susan Sarandon led protests when Saddams gased 6,000 of his own people in the late 80's... He comes across as very uneducated....
Yeah...he's the uneducated one
Old 03-24-03, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Did anyone else miss the performance clips after each individual name is announced? That used to be my favorite part.. I wonder why they got rid of it.
Old 03-24-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably wanted to get rid of it for time. Thats why also they cut people off with the orchestra. When American beauty won, I think it went to like 2 or 3 in the morning eastern standard time.
Old 03-24-03, 04:56 PM

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro PG-13
Probably wanted to get rid of it for time. Thats why also they cut people off with the orchestra. When American beauty won, I think it went to like 2 or 3 in the morning eastern standard time.
Yes, but they apparently felt the need to waste 10-15 minutes in order to have 59 oscar winners on stage for one of the most boring sequences in oscar history.
Old 03-24-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
... but did these people even see Lord of the Rings?
At least Gollum/Smeagol came in representin'!
Old 03-24-03, 05:14 PM

75th Academy Awards Hypocrisy at its finest

Only in America can a man be booed for saying "We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president", but a man who has raped a 13/14 year old be applauded and can't legally enter the country without being arrested

My estimation of Americans slipped another notch last night
Old 03-24-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dudikoff
I wonder if him and Susan Sarandon led protests when Saddams gased 6,000 of his own people in the late 80's.
When he was a U.S. ally against Iran and was visited by Bush crony Alan Simpson, who stood beside him and told him to ignore that ol' Liberal press in the USA who complained about Kurd killin' and just didn't understand the real world? I think "him and Susan Sarandon" were pretty damned foursquare against Hussein then. I know I was.

And for the LAST time...the Kurds are not, in any way shape, or form, "Saddam's people".
Old 03-24-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason
Sedition: Straight from the 1798 Act:

That if any persons shall unlawfully combine or conspire together, with intent to oppose any measure or measures of the government of the United States, which are or shall be directed by proper authority, or to impede the operation of any law of the United States, or to intimidate or prevent any person holding a place or office in or under the government of the United States, from undertaking, performing or executing his trust or duty; and if any person or persons, with intent as aforesaid, shall counsel, advise or attempt to procure any insurrection, riot. unlawful assembly, or combination, whether such conspiracy, threatening, counsel, advice, or attempt shall have the proposed effect or not, he or they shall be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and on conviction, before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars, and by imprisonment during a term not less than six months nor exceeding five years; and further, at the discretion of the court may be holden to find sureties for his good behaviour in such sum, and for such time, as the said court may direct.

Sweet! Got any tidbits from the Nuremburg Laws for us?
Old 03-24-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Guess they didn't have enough time to digitally touch up her acting..?
Testify, brother!
Old 03-24-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Gattman
75th Academy Awards Hypocrisy at its finest

Only in America can a man be booed for saying "We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elects a fictitious president", but a man who has raped a 13/14 year old be applauded and can't legally enter the country without being arrested

My estimation of Americans slipped another notch last night
She said even that the movie should be looked for its work and not for the rape 20 some years ago. And also they were aplauding the fact that the acadamy had some balls this year by giving the award to Polanski, but they still screwed Kidman last year for a mediocore performance by Halle Berry. But oscar always seems to redieme them selves by giving the award to a performer who didn't deserve it over a performance that they did diserve. For example, Denzel Washington winning for his mediocore performance in Trainining day over his great performance in Philidelphia. Also with Al Pacino, why did he win for Scent of a Woman?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.