Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Roman Polanski....a lot of people I am sure did not expect this!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-23-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After tonight I believe that the Academy has gained my respect again (in fact they never lost it...it was just a bit smaller at times).....no, not because of Roman Polanski's Oscar but because of the fact that they did prove that Scrocese was not a "lock".

....THOUGH I WISH HE WON THE AWARD!!

Some very surprising picks that's for sure.....
Old 03-23-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, surprised me too.
Old 03-23-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
If anyone was a lock for best director it was Rob Marshall. Again to the Academy for choosing Polanski but I was hoping for Scorcese to take it finally.
Old 03-23-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My mouth was agape. I loved when Steve Martin made his comment near the beginning of the show "Roman Polanski is here tonight... GET HIM!!!"
Old 03-23-03, 11:14 PM

I personally think both Adrien Brody and Roman Polanski deserved their oscars. They were both ahead of the pack in their respective categories. I just wish The Pianist had won best picture, but oh well. Good for them!
Old 03-23-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Pretty amazing. The Pianist grabbed three awards (actor, director, and writing) which I didn't expect. Polanski and Brody seemed like thrid choices, but I guess the first two split enough votes
Old 03-23-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....the truth is....NO ONE EXPECTED THIS....you could see that even people in the audience were like...."what just happened here"?

....I wanted to see M.S win though....and the truth is that this was perhaps THE last chance for Polanski....and a good one I would say....

..as for A. Brody...I saw him in the HARRISON'S FLOWERS....he was outstanding!!!....if you have not seen the movie...please do so!!

ps.
On a side note if Polanski was there why is it that he did not go on stage?????

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-23-03 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-23-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Polanski wasn't there. If he enters the U.S. he will be arrested.
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand how a movie can win best picture, best actress, and many other awards and not win director... i mean, did the actors direct themselves? I know this happense sometimes, but it just seems ridiculous. I haven't even seen the film, but Rob Marshall should have won for Chicago.

Oh, by the way, who else is sad that Adaptation didn't win for best screenplay...would have loved to see both Charlie and Donald Kauffman accept the award.
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

ps.
On a side note if Polanski was there why is it that he did not go on stage?????
He wasn't there, otherwise he would be arrested. Hence Martin's joke.
Old 03-23-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ugh "NO ONE" expected this? I differ.

My friend who's in the Academy told me Pianist is going to win lots. He himself voted for Brody, Polanski, and The Pianist as best picture. While ultimately The Pianist did not win best pic, but saying "NO ONE EXPECTED THIS" is completely untrue.
Old 03-23-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Polanski was not there. He would've been arrested if he came back to the U.S. (for statutory rape)

anyway..... Best Actor, Best Director, Best Writing. That smells more like a best pic to me than Chicago.
Old 03-23-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ryuryu2949
I don't understand how a movie can win best picture, best actress, and many other awards and not win director... i mean, did the actors direct themselves? I know this happense sometimes, but it just seems ridiculous. I haven't even seen the film, but Rob Marshall should have won for Chicago.

Oh, by the way, who else is sad that Adaptation didn't win for best screenplay...would have loved to see both Charlie and Donald Kauffman accept the award.
Yeah the academy doesn't make sense a lot of times (Like Traffic winning for best director, best writing, best editing, and best supporting actor and losing to a film that mainly won for visual effects and sound (Gladiator)). Marshall probably got a raw deal, but at least he got the DGA award.

The Kaufman thing would have been interesting. Also because he would really get two statues. I mean an academy award for a completely fictious person, is that first (no jokes please)? Also missed out on a Eminem speech. I would think that would be just entertaining to watch.

I'm not even sure how to answer this.

For one, Adaptation is a terrible, terrible script. It tries to fool as many people as possible, but the ending was just crap.

Do you know there's no such person as "David Kaufman"? He's *fictitious*.
DVD Talk Special Edition

...would have loved to see both Charlie and Donald Kauffman accept the award.
I'm still wondering if the morons on the Academy don't realize this.
Old 03-23-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
Ugh "NO ONE" expected this? I differ.

My friend who's in the Academy told me Pianist is going to win lots. He himself voted for Brody, Polanski, and The Pianist as best picture. While ultimately The Pianist did not win best pic, but saying "NO ONE EXPECTED THIS" is completely untrue.
Well I don't know if I'd go that far. Obviously all films get some votes, that doesn't make them expected winners. Given the winners of other awards, like the DGA which has been right 90% of the time for directors, as well as good handicappers not picking them should say something. That's not to say that someone, somewhere did pick them or think that they would win, but 99% of people did not. Hell even Adrian Brody didn't expect it.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does anyone know why Polanski's wife was murdered?
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I think its interesting that Roman Polanski won Best Director on the same night Eminem would have accepted an award from Barbara Streisand.

I think we need a movie directed by Roman Polanski and starring The Olsen Twins.
Old 03-23-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally posted by Autotelik

Yes, and it was really sick and gruesome. A ritualistic murder by the Manson cult.
Old 03-23-03, 11:36 PM

I'm pretty darn happy with the Oscar wins this years - Polanski, Brody, Nicole, Zeta-Janes, Cooper, Eminem, and Spirited Away were all good choices. The few that I didn't like were "Frida" for Best Score, and Best Picture (Chicago).

Overall it's much better than the few previous years' choices, IMO.
Old 03-23-03, 11:38 PM

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Polanski wasn't there or else he would be jailed.

Originally posted by Jericho
Well I don't know if I'd go that far. Obviously all films get some votes, that doesn't make them expected winners. Given the winners of other awards, like the DGA which has been right 90% of the time for directors, as well as good handicappers not picking them should say something. That's not to say that someone, somewhere did pick them or think that they would win, but 99% of people did not. Hell even Adrian Brody didn't expect it.
What I'm saying that people on the *outside* of the Academy didn't expect it, but many Academy members knew there was a large voting block for The Pianist, hence my friend's comments. And ultimately, they are the people that count, not some random predictors of the Oscars.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Yes, and it was really sick and gruesome. A ritualistic murder by the Manson cult.

was there a particular reason behind it, or was she an accidental victim?
Old 03-23-03, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally posted by Autotelik
His wife actress Sharon Tate was murdered by the Manson gang. She was also pregnant at the time.
Old 03-23-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"on a side note if Polanski was there why is it that he did not go on stage?????"

"Polanski wasn't there or else he would be jailed."

HENCE my joke!!!!!
ha ha ha

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.