DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Road to perdition; my surprise of the week!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/279735-road-perdition%3B-my-surprise-week.html)

Darkfriend 03-19-03 08:36 PM

Road to perdition; my surprise of the week!!

Just finished watching it on DVD and I was pleasantly surprised!! This movie for me kinda went under the radar when it came out, but when I had a chance to rent it I took a chance.

My only gripes with the movie:

Nice try for Tom Hanks in playing a "bad guy" but I still found him endearing in some way (if you know the story then you know why), but I still think Tom Hanks would portray a serial rapist and people would still cheer for him -wink- .

Paul Newman's performance was good but I was surprised he got an Oscar nomination.

Frank Nitti should have been played by Billy Drago !! No offense to Stanley Tucci but I kept on having "The Untouchables" flashbacks ("Nice house! I said... Nice house!!) :lol:

But overall a good movie that I am buying for sure!

What are your thoughts?

LBPound 03-19-03 08:44 PM

Great movie and one of my favorites of last year. A more interesting and original story than Gangs of New York, a more coherent and satisfying third act than Adaptation, and a hell of a lot LESS boring than The Pianist and Two Towers. :)

Hanks deserved a nod for Best Actor, in my opinion.

Geofferson 03-19-03 09:04 PM

Wonderful film. At its core, it's a great story about the relationship between a father and his son. Beautiful cinematography and a fantastic score.

:up: from me.

calhoun07 03-19-03 09:08 PM

Easilly one of the best comic book movies ever!

tanman 03-19-03 11:27 PM

A very good movie. The part where he doesn't
Spoiler:
finish off mr glass face
(jude law) still really bothers me.

mrhan 03-20-03 12:59 AM

I thought it was okay. For some reason I kept thinking about Lone Wolf and Cub while watching it; which obviously inspired the graphic novel and movie.

DonnachaOne 03-20-03 01:32 AM

While I think the film is excellent on its own merits, I'd love to have seen the comic book translated more literally. Tom Hanks, regardless of how good his performance is, has a history of likability that I sadly can't shake off - never mind the fact that his character was toned down in the film's story, too.

Some events in the comic book would have been epic on screen, and would not have threatened the central theme, flow, or soul of the film. I'd love to have seen Eliot Ness come in with his gangbusters, and any time I read of the last-minute writeout of LaPaglia's Al Capone, I think "oh, what could have been"...

Still: it's the film we're talking about, not how good an adaptation it is. And it's a great film. With his adaptation of stage effects and direction to screen, I think it's safe to say that as a director, Sam Mendes is akin to Orson Welles in skill.

Geofferson 03-20-03 08:13 AM

Originally posted by tanman
A very good movie. The part where he doesn't
Spoiler:
finish off mr glass face
(jude law) still really bothers me.

That's the most crucial point in the movie, IMO.

Spoiler:
Tom Hanks does what he can so his kids do not grow up to be like him. When his son is faced with the opportunity to kill a man, he simply cannot pull the trigger. Hanks does and can die a happy man knowing his son will lead a different life than he did.

tanman 03-20-03 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Geofferson

Spoiler:
Tom Hanks does what he can so his kids do not grow up to be like him. When his son is faced with the opportunity to kill a man, he simply cannot pull the trigger. Hanks does and can die a happy man knowing his son will lead a different life than he did.

nononononono....the earlier part when Tom Hanks is harrassing the the bank guy and he
Spoiler:
shoots jude law but doesn't finish him knowing full well that jude will eventually catch up to him and finish the job

Geofferson 03-20-03 11:34 AM

Originally posted by tanman
nononononono....the earlier part when Tom Hanks is harrassing the the bank guy and he
Spoiler:
shoots jude law but doesn't finish him knowing full well that jude will eventually catch up to him and finish the job

ah, fair enough. :)

majorjoe23 03-20-03 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson

Spoiler:

My problem with this is that in the comic he makes the opposite choice, it's probably the biggest change from the movie to book.

greatjedi 03-20-03 12:24 PM

I bought the DVD as a blind buy, and it's one of my best purchases ever. I love the mood and feel of this film. The cinematography is indeed excellent, and the costume design was incredible IMO.

NCMojo 03-20-03 12:41 PM

Umm... you guys didn't think that the movie was a little bit, well, slow and ponderous? I liked the movie well enough, but it really should have picked up the pace a bit in parts.

greatjedi 03-20-03 05:49 PM

Originally posted by ncmojo
Umm... you guys didn't think that the movie was a little bit, well, slow and ponderous? I liked the movie well enough, but it really should have picked up the pace a bit in parts.
I don't mind the pace of a movie as long as it's interesting, and beautiful to look at. Yeah, it had it's slow parts, but I was intrigued throughout.

Ergyu 03-20-03 06:43 PM

I bought it as a blind buy as well, but I wanted to see it in theaters. I thought it was excellent, but I'm a fan of Hanks anyway. I didn't think his role was all that different from previous roles, I mean, he may have been a "bad guy" per se, but he was still kind hearted I'd say. It was a little twist I suppose though. I was kind of
Spoiler:
sad that he had to die in the end
, but I knew it was coming.