Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Irreversible - directed by Gaspar Noé [spoilers]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Irreversible - directed by Gaspar Noé [spoilers]

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=310184

Completely unsearchable. I had to search on my username to get to it. WTF?
Old 08-14-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it was mentioned in the feedback forum that there is a max 10 letters per word
Old 08-14-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Maybe we should have a one and only Irreversible thread and make it a sticky, so everyone can see it. Just temporary until all the hoopla dies down. Just a thought.
Old 08-14-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think we need a thread on just how brutal the rape scene is and how everyone should consider turning it off/ walking out during that part and how long it is and how its all one shot. This is the just of every review. Im beginning to wonder if maybe its not a full movie, just a rape scene.
Old 08-14-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict
Harmful to what?
To the "unknowing"... I was in the comany of a person who could not sleep for two nights due nightmares and now she is now terrified of going outside the apartment she lives in... Harmful? If it causes unnatural fear...what do you think? Thus, I do not think this film is for everyone...
Old 08-14-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
To the "unknowing"... I was in the comany of a person who could not sleep for two nights due nightmares and now she is now terrified of going outside the apartment she lives in... Harmful? If it causes unnatural fear...what do you think? Thus, I do not think this film is for everyone...
You didnt say its not for everyone. Id agree with that. You said...

I do believe violence on this level is more harmful than enlightening.
I dont agree with that.
Old 08-15-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The film struck strong emotions in me: anger, disgust, sadness. Perhaps I am being too sensitive, but the homophobic language in the film bothered me. The rape is one of the most brutal scenes I have seen in a film (compares to "Salo" and some of the "Ilsa" films in brutality). I finally had to close my eyes.

I did like the cinematography but this is one film I do not wish to ever see again.
Old 08-15-03, 09:26 AM
MrN

Originally posted by Jepthah
Define 'suburban complacency,' please.

I didn't think those were uncommon words

How about 'unconcerned middle-class', spouting paperback philosophy and lacking in ability to protect themselves or others.
Old 08-15-03, 08:33 PM

I dont agree with that.
Difference of opinion...and I base my opinion on psychology of traumatic events...such as PTSD...some are less susceptible than others...me personally I liked the film...disliked the use of violence...and this is my 2 cents...
Old 08-15-03, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

If one rejects the impact of "difficult" cinema or violence (often criticized by the conservative) for educational purpose I ask you this(not that you did....but other people do not see the purpose of it):

did we all have to see the bloodbath in Saving Private Ryan?

Did we have to see the atrocities in Schindler's List and The Pianist?

Did we have to see the pointless religious vendeta between Muslims and Christians in BEFORE THE RAIN, Harrison;s Flowers, Savior?

I mean we all know the subjects these films tried to present (remind us about/educate)...but re-living the horror on the big screen is how you get your message to people that would otherwise look at them as entertainment.

That's all.
In the cases you pointed out the subject are not as defenseless or defiled as they were in Irreversible. Me personally, I cannot compare the alarming level of violence that is seen in Irreversible and Before the Rain… It is not like you saw the vendettas carry out a rape for 9 minutes in great detail…it was more left for the audience to ponder…as Irreversible left nothing for the imagination…to see it is not the same as assume it happen… Anyway, this is my 2 cents on what you said... fire back...
Old 08-16-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Not only can you not search for 'Irreversible' you can also not search for 'Noe'... So, what, hope someone says Belucci or Cassel? And what happens if you don't know the spelling?
Old 08-16-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

loved the film. not somehing i would watch or show to just anyone, but definitently needed to be in my collection.

for me the killing was difficult to watch. the rape was difficult to listen too.

i really liked how the spinning of the camera was frenzied at the begining but calmed down degrees as the film went on to it's anitclimax.
Old 08-16-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Finally got this movie yesterday, watched it last night.

okay, to go over the two *big* scenes -
Spoiler:
The head bashing scene wasn't disturbing as I thought it would be. I'm not saying it was a joy to watch, but I've seen a ton of horror films so I guess it didn't *shock* me.

Next the rape scene certainly was explicit and violent and NOT easy to watch, but some of the fears I had about this movie was that it'd show 'extreme close-ups' of certain sections of the rape, thank god it didn't. I didn't time it like some many had and will not do that.

Though the violence was brutal, the language, like another member said - probably was the more offensive aspects of the movie - how the rapist was humilating her, calling her all sorts of names, making her feel worthless, etc.

I did like the camera work with the spinning angles. Pretty unique.

Now on the overall review
Would I recommend this movie? Not really, it depends on the person and should be a decision to make on your own and ask yourself if you could sit thru this.

I've read numerous reviews, some pretty broad. One review said "This film had way too much cock." another review said "DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE! It is a snuff film and only serial rapists and sadist killers would praise this movie."

I won't praise the movie, but it was... well, interesting. Also, another thing to add is that people shouldn't overanalyze the movie - altho' I think I am close to doing just that. Words that my old economics professor told me - "Take my advice - make your life easier - Don't think too much."
Old 08-16-03, 08:17 PM
Suspended

If you live by your old economics professor's motto, then this is not the movie for you. It actually requires the viewer to think in order to understand and appreciate it. Mindless reactions like "too much cock" and "it is a snuff film" have proven this to be true.
Old 08-16-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I never said that you had to turn off your brain to watch this film.

Perhaps I need to point out the word "too" much. Still, I absolutely agree that this is a movie that you just can't sit back and watch like other general movies, you have to realize how realistic it actually is, and this is why some people are so disturbed by it. But I also was trying to point out that people shouldn't OVERanalyze this - it may ruin the movie and lead to other problems such as depression, extreme paranoidness (sp?), insomnia, etc.
Old 08-17-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

In the cases you pointed out the subject are not as defenseless or defiled as they were in Irreversible. Me personally, I cannot compare the alarming level of violence that is seen in Irreversible and Before the Rain… It is not like you saw the vendettas carry out a rape for 9 minutes in great detail…it was more left for the audience to ponder…as Irreversible left nothing for the imagination…to see it is not the same as assume it happen… Anyway, this is my 2 cents on what you said... fire back...
dvdsmurf:

I actually agree with most of what you said however....to continue on the subject of "difficult cinema" (in this case Irreversible)....the duration of violence is not what makes a film "difficult". In "Savior" there was one scene where a Serb soldier (if I could recall correctly) smashed a kid's head with a (wood) hammer ....a rather short scene which made a much bigger impact on me than Irreversible's scenes. Same with the rape of the old woman in Before The Rain......i dare to say than in both cases the subjects were as defenseless as Bellucci in Noe's film. I guess what I am trying to say is that Noe was as graphic as possible so he could express a "message" that both Before the Rain and Savior needed a significantly smaller amount of time for to achieve the same effect. Similar is the case with Harrison's Flowers.

Given the subject of Irreversible (rape and its aftermath) the graphic content was more than NEEDED! Otherwise we would have had just another "provoking" film!
Actually this is where we (R1) fail to "understand" Noe's message as we are left without any of the insightful extras the French release boasts. Perhaps we would have known better if we had them. (For the record I had the chance to listen to Noe on Filmnet...and many of his remarks were rather interesting...for those wishing answers to WHY.

I applaud the French for having the guts to produce a movie like Irreversible.

I hope you agree with my thoughts......

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-17-03 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-17-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by LiquidSky
The film struck strong emotions in me: anger, disgust, sadness. Perhaps I am being too sensitive, but the homophobic language in the film bothered me. The rape is one of the most brutal scenes I have seen in a film (compares to "Salo" and some of the "Ilsa" films in brutality). I finally had to close my eyes.

I did like the cinematography but this is one film I do not wish to ever see again.
I'd agree with you here... It will be a long time before I see the first half of the movie again. I think the second half of the movie succeeds wonderfully as a character study - Marcus seeing Alex as she is being carted off is heart-breaking, then to see him minutes earlier snorting coke and trying to have sex with another woman...

Noe did the right thing. I wouldn't change anything about this movie.
Old 08-17-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LiquidSky
(snip) Perhaps I am being too sensitive, but the homophobic language in the film bothered me. (snip)
Maybe I’m just jaded or insensitive; I don’t see the movie as homophobic. Sure the fat man and the crowd sling a ton of derogatory comments, slurs, and insults aimed at the homosexual club patrons, but does this act make them or the movie homophobic?

The Rectum isn’t a run-of-the-mill gay dance club; its patrons aren’t mainstream gays. If the club had catered to hetro, rather than homosexuals, would the crowd have behaved differently? I doubt it. The insults might have been different, but the tone and intent would remain the same. Gay or straight, it seems likely the neighborhood would view the patrons as sexual deviants, outcasts living on the fringe of society. At least that’s how I see it.
Old 08-18-03, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist

I hope you agree with my thoughts......
The things with Irreversible was that you knew what was coming and you had been primed to know what level of violence Noe was up to due to the head bashing scene... Thus, the anticipation and the excellent cinematography of Bellucci back as she enters the subway, which also enhanced the alamring moment. The more I think I like the film, and hate the scene. I guess, I see your point, nevertheless, I think the violence still is hurtful the the "ignorant".
Old 08-18-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
Maybe I’m just jaded or insensitive; I don’t see the movie as homophobic. Sure the fat man and the crowd sling a ton of derogatory comments, slurs, and insults aimed at the homosexual club patrons, but does this act make them or the movie homophobic?

The Rectum isn’t a run-of-the-mill gay dance club; its patrons aren’t mainstream gays. If the club had catered to hetro, rather than homosexuals, would the crowd have behaved differently? I doubt it. The insults might have been different, but the tone and intent would remain the same. Gay or straight, it seems likely the neighborhood would view the patrons as sexual deviants, outcasts living on the fringe of society. At least that’s how I see it.
Good points. I did not find the film as a whole to be homopbobic but I felt the characters slinging the slurs were. Perhaps I was just in a sensitive mood the night I saw it. I usually let things like that roll right off me.

I'm wondering why the writer/director decided to make the S&M club gay? There are plenty of heterosexual S&M clubs in existence.

I did enjoy the scenes at the begining ("end") in the apartment. Belluci has a lovely screen presence. These scenes were interesting since we see Cassel's character as loving as opposed to the unsympathetic cocaine-fuled monster he becomes.
Old 08-18-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this last night - brutal. For someone to watch this as "entertainment". well, that just confounds me. I would never buy this, I couldn't watch it regularly. If someone can say you need to disconnect your brain before you watch this, they are a cold-hearted bastage.
I hated the camera work at the beginning of the flick (end of the story) and I had sat through the "cinematography" of Blair Witch Project unscathed. I do realize that the director used this gimmick as transitions or segues between time periods but it left me wanting it to end.
The beating scene was indeed brutal but nothing compared to the rape scene. My God, how I wanted it to end. If someone can watch this and get turned on, they need to stay away from women, period. The last thing someone should think about when it comes to this scene is how much skin she shows.
I just wanted to take a shower after I watched this movie. It left me with a feeling of morbidity that I hadn't felt in a while. I can't tell you how much I wanted the rapist to die
Spoiler:
but the other guy got the fire extinguisher instead. I realize that life doesn't have happy ending and every wish for revenge isn't fulfilled but had the rapist been the one that got his skull pummeled, I would have felt a little better in the end.

I am not calling it a bad film, just one that I don't care to see again.
Old 08-18-03, 10:53 AM

I couldn't even watch the movie. The camera work took me to the point of almost throwing up. Yuck! I was bummed b/c I was really looking forward to watching this movie.

Thong
Old 08-18-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by freudguy
Spoiler:
but the other guy got the fire extinguisher instead. I realize that life doesn't have happy ending and every wish for revenge isn't fulfilled but had the rapist been the one that got his skull pummeled, I would have felt a little better in the end.

Spoiler:
The guy was about to cornhole him after breaking his arm, its not like he killed the easter bunny.
Old 08-18-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
The guy was about to cornhole him after breaking his arm, its not like he killed the easter bunny.
Spoiler:
No s*** there pal. I was only saying I wish the rapist had gotten his, too.
Old 08-18-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

"I guess, I see your point, nevertheless, I think the violence still is hurtful to the "ignorant". "

...perhaps....but I have to disagree with you...not because there is no logic in what you indicate but....even a cup of hot coffee could be "hurtful" in the hands of the "ignorant".

To sum it up....I would rather have 5 movies like Irreversible that make people think and cringe in disgust struck by emotions (be it negative or possitive) than the mindless mish-mash Hollywood comes up with most of the time....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.