Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Pet Peeves

Old 03-13-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Movie Pet Peeves

What are some of your own personal pet peeves when it comes to Hollywood films?

Here's one of mine: I always get irked when there's some high-speed car chase... or when the good guys and the bad guys start shooting it out in a public place... and not a single innocent bystander gets hurt!

This just seems irresponsible to me, and I think sends a message that it's OK to speed away from police or start taking pot shots in a crowded room. A movie I loved was Ronin foor exactly that reason -- when a car crashed into a market place, or when the bad guys start blasting away, innocent people gets hurt, which makes us appreciate how ignoble and horrific these kind of things really are.

Second pet peeve: characters that smoke or do drugs in movies just to look "cool". If it fits the character, fine, but just to light up a smoke for a neat visual effect is beyond obnoxious.

Is it just me? What are some of your pet peeves?
Old 03-13-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

watch a tarantino flick.
Old 03-13-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally posted by ncmojo
Second pet peeve: characters that smoke or do drugs in movies just to look "cool". If it fits the character, fine, but just to light up a smoke for a neat visual effect is beyond obnoxious.

sorry.
Old 03-13-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ncmojo

This absolutely ruined Lord of the Rings for me. When that little man and wizard smoke up in the beginning I walked out of the theater and haven't bothered to see the movie since.

I have contacted that Utah video store that edited Titanic so they can remove smoking from all the movies I want to watch.
Old 03-13-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Neither of the things you posted bother me in the least. If movies were required to be socially responsible in every conceivable way—there wouldn’t be any movies anyone would watch.

I hate it in Sci-Fi movies where cities are shiny, new, and “complete” (unless there is a plot point concerning it); i.e. where there is no construction work, as if one day everyone said, well I guess we’re finished.
Old 03-13-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Movie Pet Peeves

Two words:

wet streets
Old 03-13-03, 04:01 PM

Rappers acting=Me Vomiting

Last edited by soxrule; 03-13-03 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally posted by neiname
This absolutely ruined Lord of the Rings for me. When that little man and wizard smoke up in the beginning I walked out of the theater and haven't bothered to see the movie since.

I have contacted that Utah video store that edited Titanic so they can remove smoking from all the movies I want to watch.
According to the director, even though it wasn't an important scene, but it was in the book.
Old 03-13-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron Chef
Two words:

wet streets
Yep.

It looks good on film, but it sure doesn't make much sense (unless it's raining of course ).
Old 03-13-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think another reason for that is that it is almost impossible to light a night scene unless the streets are wet.
Old 03-13-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

constant constant happy endings
Old 03-13-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
1. The need to kill 99% of the characters the film started out with.

2. The need to kill the bad guy all the time. Sometimes letting a bad guy live adds to the drama.

3. CGI light shading not matching the light in the scene.

4. The fact that more and more filmakers are making movies with crap endings that are supposed to "Let the audience decide". Those endings are fine just DO THEM RIGHT.

5. Bad editing
Old 03-13-03, 06:51 PM

Bad CGI!!

For example, the surfing shot from the last Bond movie. CGI only works in certain situations, but people feel the need to use it everywhere now
Old 03-13-03, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by audrey
I hate it in Sci-Fi movies where cities are shiny, new, and “complete” (unless there is a plot point concerning it); i.e. where there is no construction work, as if one day everyone said, well I guess we’re finished.
That's something I liked in Minority Report. OK, it was the not too distant future, but so are a lot of other films that mess this up. While the technology to make better homes and stuff will be there, my house now is over 50 years old and I see no reason why people won't be living in 50+ year old houses for a long to come. I liked MR because the people were living in a house that exists today, even though some other people lived in futuristic homes as well.
Old 03-13-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh God. We could make a list a mile long. How aboot:
Terrible love stories in every action movie

Pg-13 Action movies that are Oh-so hip and cool

Unneccesary Deaths in a movie [Spoiler] pay it forward [Spoiler\]

Colin Farrel

White Teeth (Why the hell does everyone in movies have a million dollar smile?!?!)

And one that has recently arisen is a bathroom scene. Every movie has to have a bathroom scene.

Every movie that tries to add character depth by having a scene of him looking in the mirror.
Old 03-13-03, 07:59 PM

Bad Editing. Example: Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever might have been a semi-decent movie had someone with some editing skills gotten a hold of it.
Old 03-13-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two movie moments that aren't a pet peeve of mine, but they are of my roommate's, and he won't bother to post them (that and he's away now anyways):

1. "Permission to speak freely..." This quote is used a lot, and I can't think of a single instance where the person requesting was denied. Can anyone think of a moment where someone was denied permission to speak freely?

2. "...on a need to know basis." These are a necessary evil I guess when it comes to movie with military/government characters, that people are told things "on a need to know basis." It's cliche, but not a pet peeve of mine, but again, roomie don't like that one either.

I'll post more if I can think of them.
Old 03-13-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally posted by Rypro 525
According to the director, even though it wasn't an important scene, but it was in the book.
Psst... I think he was joking
Old 03-13-03, 08:12 PM

Re: Re: Movie Pet Peeves

You're joking I hope.
Old 03-13-03, 08:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
You're joking I hope.
What do you think?
Old 03-13-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How many movies use the line "Freeze and enhance" as the character's are trying to identify something on a computer screen.
Old 03-13-03, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Movie Pet Peeves

What do you think?
I think you are!
Old 03-13-03, 08:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
I think you are!
Of course I am.

I really never noticed the wet street thing, but now I'm sure I will and it most likely be a pet peeve
Old 03-13-03, 08:22 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Also in the Overused Line of Dialogue category...

"You're hurting me!" It's the stubborn refusal of the screenwriting profession to alter this one in any way that bugs me. Why can't it, at least some of the time, be "That hurts!" or "Let me go!" or "Keep twisting my arm and I'll kick your groin!"
Old 03-14-03, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Guys with ponytails

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.