Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best sci-fi movie?
12 Monkeys
5.21%
2001: A Space Odyssey
21.88%
Alien
8.33%
Aliens
13.54%
The Matrix
9.38%
Road Warrior
1.04%
Star Wars
11.46%
Empire Strikes Back
20.83%
Terminator
2.08%
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Best sci-fi movie

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where is the original Dune?
Well, I don't know if this is the reason, but Dune stunk. That's my guess. Although that's also my subjective, personal opinion. Greatness is in the eye of the beholder.

Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back

are not sci-fi
They're close enough!!!
Old 03-14-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by garmonbozia
Well, this is a deabte that will be forever ongoing. Many people feel, myself included, that Star Wars is not science fiction.
Yeah, I kind of feel this way too. SW is a fantasy plot and story put into a science-fiction setting. But it is not at its core a sci-fi story.

My The American Heritage Dictionary, Second Collegiate Edition defines science fiction simply as "Fiction in which actual or potential scientific discoveries and developments form part of the plot".
In SW, the "actual or potential scientific discoveries" were never part of the plot. In Star Trek, those discoveries are the ENTIRE plot. Like in Wrath of Khan, the Genesis Project was the main plot of that movie. So, I'm sad that Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is not even a choice in the poll.

So regarding Star Wars....space travel is enough for some people to see it as scifi. I see it more as a result of the setting than an integral part to the story being told.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 03-16-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jarofclay73

Exactly my thoughts.
well great minds and all
Old 03-16-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Yes, and they have been for quite a long time....

"Sci-fi" is zap guns, bug eyed monsters, starship battles like World War II aerial dogfights, and basically everything you think of when you think of a lot of "cheesy" futuristic environments.

Think "Fifth Element", "Independence Day", "The Last Starfighter", "Star Wars", etc.

"Science Fiction" represents an intelligent speculative look into the present, near or far future in which topical events, ideas, social morays, etc. are presented from a different perspective.

Think "Blade Runner", "2001: ASO", "Dark City", "Donnie Darko", "Gattaca", etc..

I'm not arguing that "sci-fi" is worse than "science-fiction" -- that's a matter of personal opinion. However, there is a difference.
Personally, I am not ready to commit to two different definitions for "science fiction" and "sci-fi". Seems to me like something some nerdy fan boy made up. As far as I am concerned, "sci-fi" is just an abbreviation of "science fiction".
Old 03-16-03, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Star Wars
Old 03-16-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I kind of feel this way too. SW is a fantasy plot and story put into a science-fiction setting. But it is not at its core a sci-fi story.
That's true. I normally call it sci-fantasy. But I think it's close enough to be included in the sci-fi category. It's close to the sci-fi category than it would be to the LOTR type fantasy category.
Old 03-17-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Personally, I am not ready to commit to two different definitions for "science fiction" and "sci-fi". Seems to me like something some nerdy fan boy made up. As far as I am concerned, "sci-fi" is just an abbreviation of "science fiction".
Must be nice. If ignorance is bliss, you're in Paradise.

You can "commit" to whatever you want. But while you patronizingly refer to the SFWA as "nerdy fanboys", the separation between "science fiction" and "sci-fi" remains a distinct reality.

That's like saying: "I don't care what the steenkin' nerdy physicists say; There's no way light is both a wave and a particle. So there!! Pfbbttt!!!"
Old 03-17-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
My NEW Best Sci-Fi movie..

CONGO

thanks Bonnie..
Old 03-17-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Matt Millheiser •<HR SIZE=1>That's like saying: "I don't care what the steenkin' nerdy physicists say; There's no way light is both a wave and a particle. So there!! Pfbbttt!!!" <HR SIZE=1>

In the spirit of Rogue's choice, I will have to go with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as seen on Bonnie Hammer's "I Hate Science Fiction" Channel this weekend.

das
Old 03-17-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Must be nice. If ignorance is bliss, you're in Paradise.

You can "commit" to whatever you want. But while you patronizingly refer to the SFWA as "nerdy fanboys", the separation between "science fiction" and "sci-fi" remains a distinct reality.

That's like saying: "I don't care what the steenkin' nerdy physicists say; There's no way light is both a wave and a particle. So there!! Pfbbttt!!!"
lol, whatever.
I don't know what the SFWA is, or what it stands for, and I consider myself lucky for that.

The truth of the matter is, you will not find different definitions of "Sci-fi" and "science fiction" in an English dictionary. So any distinctions between the two are soley created by obsessive fans of the genre, so don't get all prissy when someone disagrees with you or whoever this SFWA is. I feel I am entitled to my own opinion without being personally insulted. Perhaps my nerdy fanboys comment hit too close to home?

And comparing some assinine distinction between "sci-fi" and "science fiction" to actual science is just classic. Thanks for that.
Old 03-17-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
Science Fiction Writers of America. Actually, it's the SFFWA now (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America).

Edit: Nope, you're right, it's just SFWA. I looked it up, and there was a hazy time when some people called it SFWA and others SFFWA. Now it's SFWA, but includes fantasy writers too.

tasha

Last edited by tasha99; 03-17-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tasha99
Science Fiction Writers of America. Actually, it's the SFFWA now (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America).

Edit: Nope, you're right, it's just SFWA. I looked it up, and there was a hazy time when some people called it SFWA and others SFFWA. Now it's SFWA, but includes fantasy writers too.
Thanks for the info.

I guess I can amend my statement above to "So any distinctions between the two are soley created by obsessive fans of the genre......and people who write the sh*t" but I still think it is a ridiculously moronic distinction and refuse to use it. If distinctions need to be made, make subgenres of science fiction. Saying there is a difference between "science fiction" and "sci-fi" is like saying that "tvs" and "televisions" are two different things.
Old 03-18-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by garmonbozia
[B]lol, whatever.
I don't know what the SFWA is, or what it stands for, and I consider myself lucky for that.
Your life must be so complete!
The truth of the matter is, you will not find different definitions of "Sci-fi" and "science fiction" in an English dictionary. So any distinctions between the two are soley created by obsessive fans of the genre, so don't get all prissy when someone disagrees with you or whoever this SFWA is.
As long as you're not getting too defensive... Let's count the adjectives: "Prissy". "Obsessive". I'm just correcting your misguided and misinformed opinion, budrick.
I feel I am entitled to my own opinion without being personally insulted.
Somebody call a waaaahmbulance. Seriously, if you were insulted by my comments, I apologize. I don't consider myself an "obsessive fanboy" when it comes to science fiction (when it comes to literary genres, I prefer Victorian literature over anything), but there really is a difference that may not be recognized by the "mainstream" or "Joe Sixpack" audiences.
Perhaps my nerdy fanboys comment hit too close to home?
I'll be sure to take your name off of our Nerdy Fanboy Arbor Day Card List. And don't even think about trying to sneak into the Barbeque.
And comparing some assinine distinction between "sci-fi" and "science fiction" to actual science is just classic. Thanks for that.
Anytime. Incidentally, you should check out some of the more respected science fiction works by the "people who write the sh*t". You might see the difference between, say, "The Demolished Man" and "Bloodsuckers from Uranus".
Old 03-18-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Matt Millheiser •<HR SIZE=1>I'll be sure to take your name off of our Nerdy Fanboy Arbor Day Card List. And don't even think about trying to sneak into the Barbeque.<HR SIZE=1>

If it's not too much trouble, could you just verify you received my RSVP for the Barbeque? Thanks!

das
Old 03-18-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
If it's not too much trouble, could you just verify you received my RSVP for the Barbeque? Thanks!

das
I'm gonna tell you right now: if you bring that Chex Cola Limeade mix again, you're gonna be sentenced to another Galactica: 1980 marathon... by way of the Ludovico Treatment!
Old 03-18-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Matt Millheiser •<HR SIZE=1>I'm gonna tell you right now: if you bring that Chex Cola Limeade mix again, you're gonna be sentenced to another Galactica: 1980 marathon... by way of the Ludovico Treatment! <HR SIZE=1>

Appy polly loggy, O my brother. Be a sammy droog, and forgive me. My gulliver still hurts from the last "treatment."

das