Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Willard???

Old 03-13-03, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willard???

What are your thoughts on how Willard looks?

I think it mught be a cool creepy kind of movie like Arachnophobia
Old 03-13-03, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't recall Arachnophobia having someone control the spiders and having them do their bidding.. though I must admit it looks fairly interesting.. I'll give it a chance though it looks pretty open and shut if you ask me.

Guy is a loser in life, talks to rats.. rats do his bidding, then turn on him..
Old 03-13-03, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's pretty apt casting to get Hollywood Freakazoid #1, Crispin Glover to play a man with mental and emotional problem. And FYI, this is apparently a remake of the movie Willard from 1971. Bruce Davison (Senator Kelly from X-Men) played the original Willard.
Old 03-13-03, 09:34 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=willard

Lots of chatter about it in the trailer thread
Old 03-13-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate rats. I think I'd puke if I saw all those rats during the movie.
Old 03-13-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They sure are pushing the ads for this movie. I must have seen 10 of them on tv yesterday.
Old 03-13-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen any? Is it rated pg13 or R since the paper says its R but imdb says its pg13.
Old 03-13-03, 02:46 PM

pg-13

http://www.mpaa.org/movieratings/search/index.htm
Old 03-13-03, 06:52 PM

this movie looks terrible...
Old 03-13-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It looks pretty bad to me. But then, the last time I went to the movies (Old School), there weren't any good previews.
Old 03-13-03, 11:01 PM

This seriously looks like one of the worst movies of all time, I can't watch the trailer without laughing my ass off..
Old 03-13-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Capo2002
This seriously looks like one of the worst movies of all time, I can't watch the trailer without laughing my ass off..
I believe this movie is somewhat of a dark comedy.
Old 03-14-03, 12:00 AM

This is a remake, Singer was talking about it in the x-Men 1.5 commentary because the lead was Bruce Davison, and the Lee Ermey part was Ernest Borgine.
Old 03-14-03, 12:32 AM

CHUD.com just put up their report from the Willard Junket. Also contains an interview with Crispin Glover. Good stuff.
http://www.chud.com/news/mar03/mar13will.php3
Old 03-14-03, 08:09 AM
Banned

It just looks horrible too me. It doesnt even look good in a campy way.
Old 03-14-03, 08:34 AM

Ummm.... well..The reviews are coming in and they look favorable.

"Willard! There are rats in the basement!" With these fateful words, crazy, controlling Henrietta Stiles (Jackie Burroughs) sends her lonely 30-year-old son (Crispin Glover) down into the depths, where he befriends a cute white rat he dubs Socrates, and an enormous gray one he calls Ben. Soon, hundreds of their furry comrades are scurrying to do Willardís dark bidding ó primarily wreaking vengeance upon his monstrous boss (R. Lee Ermey), who stole the Stiles family business and whom Willard blames for his fatherís suicide. For this witty, gore-free remake of the revered (by some of us) 1971 horror film, writer-director Glen Morgan, making his directorial debut, has stayed true not only to the originalís storyline (except for a misguided new ending), but also to its gloomy, decaying textures. As his camera prowls lovingly around the dusty detritus of the Stiles house, Morgan is tipping his hat to Psycho and to Willardís psychic twin, Norman Bates. Itís one of many references to the movie-wise, but a resonant one, for Gloverís performance turns out to be shockingly emotional, drawn as daringly close to the bone ó within this storyís limited thematic range ó as Anthony Perkinsí work in Hitchcockís seminal film. Poor Willard, sane enough to recognize his own tragedy, canít stop crying. (Chuck Wilson)" LA WEEKLY

Entertainment Weekly gave it a B
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/review/...illard,00.html
Old 03-14-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, I'm excited. I think Crispen Glover is the perfect actor for the part, and will certainly bring credibility to the role. I wanted to see it tonight, but my wife is working late, and then her birthday is tomorrow. I don't really think it would be a good idea to take her to a rat movie for her birthday. Argh. I want to see this movie now!
Old 03-14-03, 11:13 AM

i haven't seen the original or the sequel.
i am slightly interested in the dark tone of it though.
i just can't help thinking Marty McFly's dad has gone crazy though.
Old 03-14-03, 02:17 PM
Banned

To think Crispin Clover used to do good movies and now hes doing this.
He should never have dropped out of the BTTF movies.
Old 03-14-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good way to bring anyone who fears rats but has never heard of the movie before.
Old 03-14-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A little trivia for no one to care about... way back in high school, had a teacher, Father Ratchinsky (or something like that).

We all called him "Willard" behind his back (of course) after the original move. Actually, that was back in the early 80's, so the nick name had survived at least 10 years from it's origin.
Old 03-14-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cleaver
This is a remake, Singer was talking about it in the x-Men 1.5 commentary because the lead was Bruce Davison, and the Lee Ermey part was Ernest Borgine.
Bruce Davison does a cameo of sorts in the remake. He's not in the movie, but he's shown in photographs as Willard's dead father.

I'm totally stoked to see this, it looks like a lot of fun!

Honk!
Old 03-15-03, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it tonight... yawn... zzzzzzz... It was okay as far as remakes of terrible movies go, but it wasn't scary and it was barely interesting. I was borderline offended by the cancer victim mother and the murder of a cat.
Old 03-15-03, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I caught it last night. It was hilarious! Crispin Glover was so over the top it was a sight to see. No other director had ever let him go "crispin" at full capacity as what was on display here. It totally worked for the film. This is pretty much the role he was born to play.

It's not a scary film, I don't think it even tries to be, really. It's more of a character piece. I loved the pychological mind games that went on between willard and ben. It had atmosphere, and always a sense of uneasiness, even through the laughter. Good fun.

Also, fans of the original will be in for a treat as this film pays much tribute and homage to the 1971 version.
Old 03-15-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
I caught it last night. It was hilarious! Crispin Glover was so over the top it was a sight to see. No other director had ever let him go "crispin" at full capacity as what was on display here. It totally worked for the film. This is pretty much the role he was born to play.

It's not a scary film, I don't think it even tries to be, really. It's more of a character piece. I loved the pychological mind games that went on between willard and ben. It had atmosphere, and always a sense of uneasiness, even through the laughter. Good fun.

Also, fans of the original will be in for a treat as this film pays much tribute and homage to the 1971 version.
Eh - you know what? You're right... it was an effective and engaging character piece. Crispin was good too. I guess watching The Hunted right after this one killed any good feelings I had towards this. I wouldn't buy it on DVD, but I'd watch it again on cable. You're right about the dynamic between him and Ben.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.