Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Would my mom enjoy 8 mile? (eminem)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-11-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She hates his guts, calls his lyrics insane, sexist, and discusting, but due to all of the critical praise, she wants to see it on dvd. Would this be a good bet.
Old 03-11-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is your mom racist?
Old 03-11-03, 05:42 PM
Banned

Only if she loves hateful human beings.
I vote to have her stay away. She would be better off avoiding it.
Old 03-11-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Seantn
Is your mom racist?
No
Old 03-11-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If she can watch a fairly gritty drama about people in the ghetto of detroit that's, well, fairly down to earth in my opinion, then yes she would enjoy it. If she can't stand rap music, doesn't want to watch them ghetto folk in their element, and doesn't like more extreme language, than no. The movie doesn't dwell on a lot of Eminem's more outrageous lyrics, but does have the hard edge angry at the world vibe much of his music contains. I thought it to be a very good movie in my opinion.
Old 03-11-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know my feelings on this: if she's high and mighty and criticizes someone because the media has hyped her into believing so without actually listening to the lyrics or watching the film, then it's best to continue to live in ignorance instead of risking the chance that she's wrong. On the other hand, I've learned from your participation in this forum that while sometimes naive, you're very open to trying new things and learning from those experiences. Considering she's your mother, chances are she's the same way. Best case: she learns something new. Worst case: she confirms her suspicions. Either way, I say it's worth it.

Much like eminem's lyrics, the film is edgy and a bit on the angry side, but life is like that for many people. If she has an overwhelming distaste for rap music or harsh language, then keep her away. Otherwise, as with all things, don't listen to the idiots (including myself) who tell you what to think. Most people who comment on eminem haven't heard a single lyric or if so have heard them out of context (that's not to say that there aren't many with legitimate reasons to hate him). The media has painted him as some evil monster, and sheep everywhere have hopped on board for the ride. You (and your mother) may still not like him or his music or his acting after giving it a chance, but don't let the media hype determine that for you. Watch, listen, and decide for yourself. But rest assured that listening to Elvis won't send you to Hell, attending Ozzfest does not make you a devil worshiper, and listening to eminem won't make you a racist, a homophobe, or a baby-killer.

8 Mile is certainly formulaic, but it's well-acted and tells an entertaining story. While I wouldn't consider it a "great" film, I do consider it to be "very good." If nothing else, "Lose Yourself" is the best song this year.

... and this coming from a guy whose favorite musical artist is Frank Sinatra ...

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 03-11-03 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 10:17 PM
Banned

Actually unlike Eminem's lyrics this movie lacked death, kidnapping, murders, and rapes. So, I say go ahead and let your mom see it. IMO, this movie was only praised because everyone was expecting Eminem to suck, he didn't but that's all he did.
Old 03-11-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually unlike Eminem's lyrics this movie lacked death, kidnapping, murders, and rapes.
Which song does Eminem rap about rape in?
Old 03-12-03, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Seantn
Which song does Eminem rap about rape in?
Kill You
Refers to raping his mother.
Old 03-12-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Karli <HR SIZE=1>Kill You
Refers to raping his mother.
<HR SIZE=1>

He's mocking his critics saying that about him in "Kill Me." His voice changes to a mocking tone when he says, "Oh, now he's raping his own mother, abusing a whore, snorting coke, and we gave him the Rolling Stone cover?" Most of the song is tongue-in-cheek anyway, and he chuckles at how silly some of it is ... in fact he ends the thing with "hahaha, I'm just playin ladies ... you know I love you."

das
Old 03-12-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

8 Mile isn't all that good IMO, but your mom would probably like it okay... it's a drama... mom's like dramas.
Old 03-12-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fo shizzle
Old 03-12-03, 09:57 AM

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
I just had to at the subject header. Thanks for clarifying that this was the 8 Mile with Eminem (as opposed to the one with Carrot Top).
Old 03-12-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Dial down the center, bitch!!!"

das
Old 03-12-03, 10:43 AM
Suspended

As long as when she's done watching the movie she realizes that this is FICTION, he is still the same asswipe she thought he was, but for 2 hours she can indulge herself in a "motivational/uplifting"
movie

What a crock - Eminem should tell this fans that if they follow him and do what he does and listen to his advice, that they'll all be working for minimum wage or in jail when there 30.

Eminem is so contradictory its not funny.
Old 03-12-03, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by das Monkey
The media has painted him as some evil monster, and sheep everywhere have hopped on board for the ride.
The exact same could be said for the reverse argument.

MTV has painted him as some talented artist, and sheep everywhere have hopped on board for the ride.

Originally posted by das Monkey
If nothing else, "Lose Yourself" is the best song this year.

2002 or 2003? I feel like making a list.
Old 03-12-03, 01:02 PM
Banned

Even if your mom LOVED eminem she wouldn't like 8 Mile.

The movie is a turd.
Old 03-12-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your mom would like this movie if she likes to yawn. This had to be one of the most pointless, boring films I've seen all year. And I'm not an Eminem hater - just thought the movie was kind of pointless that's all.
Old 03-12-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It could widen her horizon...if she let the film be what it is...
Old 03-19-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, she watched it today and amazingly enjoyed it. she enjoyed how it went into the reasons why he was angry, ect. I might even watch it.
Old 03-19-03, 02:10 PM
Banned

No offense RYPRO, but if your mom liked it (or anyones mom for that matter) that pretty much seals the deal...The Movie Sucks!
Old 03-19-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 168 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
No offense RYPRO, but if your mom liked it (or anyones mom for that matter) that pretty much seals the deal...The Movie Sucks!

Was that supposed to be a joke?
Old 03-19-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Pants
Even if your mom LOVED eminem she wouldn't like 8 Mile.

The movie is a turd.
Sorry to get off topic here but I have a question for you. Do you like anything? You seem to hate every movie in existence. I've never seen you post anything positive regarding a film. Just curious
Old 03-19-03, 03:42 PM
Banned

Just this morning I posted my admiration for Don Sigel's version of The Killers.

In the thread about Spider, I am praising this excellent film

I also posted my top five James Bond theme songs today.

Last edited by Pants; 03-19-03 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The movie did not suck. You may not have liked it Pants, but that doesn't necessarily mean it sucked. It was well-made and well-acted for the most part in my opinion. Was it Oscar-worthy? Probably not, but it still was a decent film. Why not go back to ripping films you haven't seen? You're so good at that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.