Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prepare me for 'Hero'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prepare me for 'Hero'

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prepare me for 'Hero'

I've been looking forward to the DVD Release of Hero with interest. I've not wanted to overhype myself on this, but it has looked to me like a good film.

I've been reading folks' responses to watching it and they seem to fall into two camps - "it wasn't all that good" and "it was a complex and interesting film".

FYI - I feel I was better prepared for my viewing of Mulholland Drive after reading the many discussions of the film and I want to go into Hero in a similar way. I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and I loved Ashes of Time. I'm starting to get a sense that Hero is a cross between these two wonderful films with a good dose of history thrown in.

Can someone prep me for my DVD Watching Experience either by posting their take, or by linking to a review/discussion of the film?

Last edited by CheapBastid; 03-11-03 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think you'll have to see it for yourself to determine whether you like it or not. I think it is like most art films in that it doesn't appeal to the mass audience (nor does it try). It focuses on certain themes of human nature which if you never really considered to be important to begin with, will also seem irrelevant to you here. I fall into the "fascinating and complex" camp. But I do believe you have to put some effort in and also be able to not take all visual cues too literally.

Do a search on Google for "qin dynasty china" to read up a bit about the history of the Seven Kingdoms of Early Imperial China. I think if you have a bit of that knowledge, you will find the film much more fascinating. Many of the film's details are based on historical fact.
Old 03-11-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why bring Hype to a movie.. Please just watch it and don't get the standards raised up to high. it's a movie enjoy it for what it is and do not try to set yourself up for failure as you watch it by comparing it with CTHD from the get go.
Old 03-11-03, 02:58 PM

I just saw the movie on DVD and I thought it was amazing. Definately, a different take on the chinese martial arts film. Just do not go in with pre-determined notions and you should enjoy it immensely.

It combines chinese history and culture told in a rich story. It has enough action and martial arts to keep everything interested in the big picture, which is the story.

The visuals were also the best I've seen come from Asia. I think this is a major step forward for film making from the east.

In case you couldn't tell I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it and loved it!!
Old 03-11-03, 05:46 PM

I saw this movie on VCD. I agreed that the cinematography is amazing. But the movie itself is more like an art film and tends to be slow. I considered that both the story and the character development are weak. The main characters are definitely under developed. If you take away the cinematography and the martial arts sences in this movie, this movie doesn't have anything left. Anyway, you could also arguing the same thing on most today Hollywood movies.
Old 03-11-03, 06:23 PM

I understand the beginning and the very end of Hero wasn't translated on the Chinese dvd, so here they are. This is crucial to the storyline and was an huge oversight in the dvd. Looking forward to watching this in the next couple of days. I put the end text in spoilers, in case you might not want any hints...come back when you've watched it. Looking forward to watching this in the next couple days. Also you need some hot buttered popcorn with a couple dashes of tabasco and garlic powder, and some ice cold brew. Oh wait, that's me preparing for the movie.

Beginning Text

Two thousand years ago...
during the Warring States period,
China was divided into seven Kingdoms.

For years they battled for supremacy
while the people suffered.

The King of Qin was the most ruthless
in his efforts to conquer the land
and unify all under heaven.

He was regarded as a common threat
by the other six Kingdoms.

The annals of Chinese history
are abound with tales of the assassins
sent to kill the great King.

This is one of the legends...

End Text
Spoiler:

Nameless was executed an assassin
but buried a hero...

Sky gave up his sword
in honor of his fallen friends...

In 221 B.C., the King of Qin conquered
all six kingdoms and unified China.

He ceased all expeditions and built the Great Wall
to protect his subjects from the Northern Tribes.

The Qin Empire became the first dynasty of China...

And Qin Shihuang... the First Emperor.

Last edited by Hannibal; 03-11-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for that translation. I was about to ask some Chinese co-workers to translate it for me even though I got the gist of it from reading a few webpages about the Qin Dynasty history.

Last edited by hahn; 03-11-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Why bring Hype to a movie.. Please just watch it and don't get the standards raised up to high.
Originally posted by CheapBastid
I've not wanted to overhype myself on this, but it has looked to me like a good film.
As I said, I don't want to overhype myself. It appears that there are multiple layers to the film (political, historical, etc.) that would enhance the first viewing were I to get a better understanding of them.
Originally posted by criterionII
But the movie itself is more like an art film and tends to be slow.
As I said, I loved Ashes of Time, and a much more 'art film' you won't find from Hong Kong.
Old 03-11-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hannibal
Also you need some hot buttered popcorn with a couple dashes of tabasco and garlic powder, and some ice cold brew. Oh wait, that's me preparing for the movie.
That's where you're wrong, you're preparing me for it (except I'm lazy and just use Dave's Insanity Popcorn).
Old 03-11-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the translation Hannibal!

I watched this movie today and was totally blown away by the intensity and style of the film. The Broad use of colors, fantasy style martial arts and and exceptional casting made this more than memorable.

I love CTHD but this is a wholly different film. The only similarities I see between the two films are the use of color as a character within the film, the fantasy style martial arts and they are both "period" pieces.

Simply put, in it's edited form, this is a great film. I can't wait for the DE that's rumored to be slated for later on this year.

Sorry for the gushing but I really like this movie!
Old 03-11-03, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by CheapBastid
That's where you're wrong, you're preparing me for it (except I'm lazy and just use Dave's Insanity Popcorn).
I'm going to have to try some of that. My brother is a big fan of Dave's stuff... I've tried those olives in pain...killer!
Old 03-12-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You might also want to know that the menu screens are all in Chinese. You should be able to swithc the subtitles on the fly from your remote. However, the "making of" segment has no English subs at all.

I don't know why I was so surprised at this since it's release was intended solely for Mainland China.

Last edited by buckee1; 03-12-03 at 10:44 AM.