Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Spartacus Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What do you think about this film?
A Masterpiece
27.27%
Very Good Film
50.00%
It's Okay
13.64%
Terrible
9.09%
Amadeus
0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

A Spartacus Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Spartacus Discussion

Let's talk about this wonderful masterpiece. I think it's one of Kubrick's best. Excellent acting, wonderful costumes and sets and a great story. One of the best films about the Roman age in my opinion. I think it should of won Best Picture in 1960. What do you all think about this film?
Old 03-10-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just got through watching the Criterion edition of this movie last week. I've seen it before, and I enjoy it, but I disagree with it being one of Kubrick's best. It is however, a very good film.

Though it's a true story, the book was written based on the russian revolution. You can see these same ties in the film, and I guess when it's viewed that way it could be considered a great work of art.
Old 03-10-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's underappreciated. The best of the ancient history epics from the period when it was made.
Old 03-10-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's okay. I wouldn't buy it or probably watch it again.. but it had it's moments.
Old 03-10-03, 01:28 PM
Banned

It has a better script than any other biblical/historical epic ever. But despite Kubrick's presence behind the camera, its execution isn't as brilliant as King of Kings or Ben-Hur.
Old 03-10-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's an excellent film, my favorite film that I saw in school (in Latin), but it's just shy of being a masterpiece.
Old 03-10-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
It's the least "Kubrick" of his movies I've seen (haven't seen earliest work), but it's a very good historical epic, with wonderful performance by Kirk Douglas. In fact it reminds me a lot of "Gladiator," similar story arc and characters. I enjoy the sophistication of the script compared to simliar epics -- the hint of homosexuality in a few scenes, and particularly the shockingly grim ending, it seems very unusual for movies of that time to end on such a tragic note. I think it's Kubrick before Kubrick "became" Kubrick -- there was a lot of studio interference too from what I've heard -- but without a doubt by almost any other standard it's a near masterpiece.
Old 03-11-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First, I loved the music very much. The story is quite flat to me and the acting is not very impressive. But the spirit, the battle scene, and the sets are top notch. Liked the film.