DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Screen Actors Guild Awards (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/277165-screen-actors-guild-awards.html)

Brak55 03-09-03 10:24 PM

Screen Actors Guild Awards

Ensemble (Their version of Best Picture) - Chicago

Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Walken (Catch Me if You Can)

Best Supporting Actress - Catherine Zeta-Jones (Chicago

Best Actress - Renee Zellweger (Chicago)

Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis (Gangs of New York)

palebluedot 03-09-03 10:36 PM

What a bunch of pretentious crap this is...actors congratulating themselves. :yack:

Jericho 03-09-03 11:57 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot
What a bunch of pretentious crap this is...actors congratulating themselves. :yack:
What's wrong with actors and actresses giving out awards to their peers? The Academy isn't much different and it's no different than player's choice awards and such. They may not make the most informed decision, but at least they know the job.

Jackskeleton 03-10-03 01:33 AM

It's like a company picnic. you give out those awards and crap for all those little things.. the same thing. Why do folks always fall back on the whole "_______ self masturbation" discussion when talking about film/tv awards? If you dislike them, don't watch them. simple as that.

RayChuang 03-10-03 01:49 AM

One thing though.

Actually, the SAG awards is a bit more "pure" than the Oscars because with the Oscars, every AMPAS member (regardless of their specialty in different aspects of making motion pictures) votes on almost every category.

Since the SAG Awards is voted on only by actors and actresses, at least we know what are the best acting performances of this year. At least they got Daniel Day-Lewis right for Best Actor--Day-Lewis literally carries Gangs of New York. :)

B.A. 03-10-03 08:54 AM

Re: One thing though.

Originally posted by RayChuang
At least they got Daniel Day-Lewis right for Best Actor--Day-Lewis literally carries Gangs of New York. :)
My thoughts exactly. Years from now when someone mentions Gangs of New York, the only redeeming quality I will be able to remember was that Daniel Day-Lewis was completely wicked in it.

I really hope DDL wins the Best Actor Oscar for his role - he was so much better than everyone else in the category, from what I have seen.

Patman 03-10-03 11:48 AM

But Renee Zellwegger as Best Actress? I dunno. She's been riding on the Chicago train awfully hard these past few months.

Everytime I see such effusive praise for Rob Marshall by the cast members of Chicago, I wish I had a TV brick to throw at the TV screen.

clemente 03-10-03 08:07 PM

I don't see anyone bagging on the DGA of Producer's Guild awards....heck people fawn over those.

Is it just because they're actors or because the awards are televised that inspire this hate.