Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

City of God is a Masterpiece

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally ended up seeing this film tonight with my girlfriend. It lived up to all the expectations I had going in. This movie is a mix between Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction, and is just as good as them. It tells the story of kids growing up in the slums of Rio de Janeiro. It contains alot of violence and disturbing moments (alot of them) but everything needs to be there and has a purpose. It's one of the best movies I have seen in a long time and it's definately one of the best movies of a year which contained alot of strong films.

Everyone go see this any chance they can. It's a very powerful film. Absolutely amazing. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Masterpiece!
Old 03-05-03, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think I may finally succumb to all these praises and go see it. In truth, I've been meaning to catch it, but my wallet has become quite lean, and I have a shipload of work to do...... decisions, decisions......
Old 03-05-03, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's a related thread... ...

City of God
Old 03-05-03, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish they would contrast the actual paradise of Rio with the slums of City of God. Because the actual "City of God" can be viewed in 2 ways. One way to see it is the City of God as in the paradise of Rio de Janeiro, the city that God built. Another way to view it is the actual neighborhood of City of God (that actually exists) that is the poverty and misery of Rio de Janeiro. I would have loved something in the lines of the narrator commenting on the contrast between the 2 City of Gods. Or something along those lines.
Old 03-11-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too wished they would've contrasted the gorgeous Rio with the slums.

I didn't think it was a masterpiece but it was a very good film.

One I think needs to be seen twice (as with all great pieces of work) before it can be reviewed.

There was just so much going on and time-switching with characters young and old.

It was difficult to watch with some of the graphic content but extremely powerful as well.

This will win some kind of foreign film award in the United States. I don't think it's eligible for the Oscars though.