Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

buffalo '66

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
buffalo '66

I've always loved this movie - it's full of one-liners and classic comedy gems. This movie even had a scene using camera techniques that the Matrix claims fame for long before Matrix even came out. I remember this movie getting panned left and right saying it looked like a stupid Guess ad or something. I think it's pure genius and I just wanna know if anyone else appreciates this film like I do.
Old 03-04-03, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it. Good performances and an uplifting ending. I don't know what that Ricci dance scene in the bowling alley was all about, though. The confrontation between Gallo's character and the kid in the bathroom was awesome.
Old 03-04-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved this movie. The scene with Christina Ricci in the bowling alley is one of the best i've seen. And think that last scene was done before the Matrix.
Old 03-04-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
The confrontation between Gallo's character and the kid in the bathroom was awesome.
yeah it was... "What did you say??!?!"
Old 03-04-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Great movie in many aspects : acting, directing, story, cinematography, etc.......
Old 03-04-03, 08:41 PM

I too am a big fan of this movie.
Old 03-04-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
"Spanning Time".....

Great film....I just wish it had a proper dvd release....
Old 03-05-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wound up getting (blind) both the OOP U.S. edition and the Canadian edition of this DVD. Before I crack the seals, does anyone know off-hand which one is better?

-Gunshy
Old 03-05-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The DVD is OOP?? I didn't know that. :/ Better hang on to mine.
Old 03-05-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by paradicelost
The scene with Christina Ricci in the bowling alley is one of the best i've seen.
That's really the only scene that I loved in this film.

The bravura sequence you guys are talking about, with the 'assasination' in the bar, is amazing to see, but it's not really enough to make me actually like this film.

It's rather Lynchian: an odd, interesting experience, that seems kind of pointless, ultimately.
Old 03-05-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
That's really the only scene that I loved in this film.

The bravura sequence you guys are talking about, with the 'assasination' in the bar, is amazing to see, but it's not really enough to make me actually like this film.

It's rather Lynchian: an odd, interesting experience, that seems kind of pointless, ultimately.
That's not my favorite scene or anything - I just think it's interesting that it was done well before the Matrix (and Fight Club) and yet receives no credit... I can remember this movie getting panned - mostly because some 'model' wrote, directed, starred-in and did all the music for the movie. I thought the whole thing was brilliant and I wish someone would hand him a pile of cash again so he could make another movie. There's a movie listed called The Brown Bunny that he did everything, but I don't know... we'll see when it comes out (if it comes out).
Old 03-05-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buck, this movie wasn't Lynchian, it was a complete homage to John Cassavetes. It even had Ben Garzzara in it.

I thought this was a well acted film and Vincent Gallo did a wonderful job directing it.
Old 03-05-03, 10:07 AM

What I think is really ingenious about the assasination scene in the bar at the end of the film is how it was actually accomplished.

The set-up which was used in the matrix, to accomplish the bullet dodging, was the 360 degree string of still camera's all taking a picture at the same moment. This was first seen in GAP ads, and a couple of music videos before Buffalo '66, and The Matrix.

Gallo faked it. He had plastic blood droplets made, and the performances were real time but acting likea frozen object, as the camera slowly dollied around it. I think it makes for an even more interesting visual.

Great film all around. I loved the old timey optical mattes and wipes, and really love the look of the film, it was shot in Color reversal film, and the grain really pops. Too bad DVD can't accurately capture the look of that film grain though.
Old 03-05-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
One of my alltime faves. It is the cutest Christina Ricci has ever looked, too. I think it is a sad/funny irony that Gallo poured his soul into this film and Lion's Gate apparently cheated him on it. He refuses to work with them ever again.
Old 03-05-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't Gallo the one that called critics that gave his films bad reviews and yelled at them. I don't want to help spread rumors or anything i just thought that sounded funny.
But again great film. Christina Ricci is the only woman on my list(you know that list that some couples have if you by chance ever meet them and have the chance to be with them, your significant other gives you a free pass, that list).
Old 03-05-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joefrog91
Buck, this movie wasn't Lynchian, it was a complete homage to John Cassavetes. It even had Ben Garzzara in it.
I phrased that imprecisely, I'm sorry. I didn't meant to imply it was objectively Lynchian (or Lynchesque), just that the effect, and my reaction to it, was similar to what I have with Lynch's films.
Old 03-05-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by paradicelost
Wasn't Gallo the one that called critics that gave his films bad reviews and yelled at them. I don't want to help spread rumors or anything i just thought that sounded funny.
That's true. He's also gone way out of his way to badmouth Christina Ricci since the release of this film.

He burns more bridges than the Wehrmacht in 1945...
Old 03-06-03, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I can remember this movie getting panned - mostly because some 'model' wrote, directed, starred-in and did all the music for the movie.
Vincent Gallo is a model? didn't know that... for what?

I basically only knew Gallo from his role in Arizona Dream, probably the little cult film I want to be on dvd the most.

I love Buffalo 66. It was one of the first dvds I got when I was at the peak of my Christina Ricci obsession, lol, but that's mostly better now
Old 03-06-03, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe he was a Guess model, but I could be wrong... maybe it was CK. Something like that.
Old 03-06-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, he was the main model responsible for the advent of the "herion chic" look.
Old 03-06-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gunshy
I just wound up getting (blind) both the OOP U.S. edition and the Canadian edition of this DVD. Before I crack the seals, does anyone know off-hand which one is better?

-Gunshy
I think they're identical except for the artwork.
Old 03-06-03, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
speaking of Ricci, this just in from http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/2003/20030306.html

Ricci Gets Naked

Hollywood stunner Christina Ricci will appear completely naked in her next film role. The former child star, who shot to fame in The Addams Family, will join actress Charlize Theron in the movie Monster. Monster is the story of executed serial killer Aileen Wournous, a prostitute, who murdered seven men on the Florida highways during 1989-90. And the scenes where the two women become lesbian lovers in prison don't faze the 22-year old star. She says, "I'm pretty f****** naked. My agent persuaded me to go for it. She keeps saying, 'You have beautiful breasts'."
And now back to your regular programming.
Old 03-06-03, 11:30 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by brizz
"Spanning Time".....

Great film....I just wish it had a proper dvd release....
It may just yet! I recall reading about a month or 2 ago in these forums, that Lions Gate had bought back the home video rights to a ton of their titles from Universal (who put out the bare bones Buffalo '66).

Here's the link to that thread:
Lions Gate Ent. buys back 22 titles!

Last edited by ZatoichiFan; 03-06-03 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-06-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

of course, Gallo is firstly (some circles, how he came to be) an artist that broke out of the 1980's crew with Basquiat, Schnabel of that 'brat pack', experimentalist, arrogant, prententious art scene at the time. Of course there was the 80's brat of young writers (McInerney, Ellis, Bushnell...) and actors (Downey, ect.) Gallo had a major retrospective at a Japanese gallery last year (forget the name---he has huge following in Japan) and also put out a experimental, ethereal album on Warp records entitled 'When.' Pretty cool. It was Calvin Klein who brought Gallo into the mainstream as American fashion and fashion photography was flooded with what was primarily a British movement of 'heroin chic.' Gallo is a very, very interesting guy---to say the least.
Old 03-07-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by lostatmidnight
Gallo is a very, very interesting guy---to say the least.
Translation: "arrogant egomaniacal prick"

Not that his prick personality lessens the movie for me

so is there anyone that can respond yea or nay to the contention earlier that this is oop? I don't believe it is, but would like to hear from someone else in response to the statement that it is.....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.