DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Apparently they changed "The Core" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/275406-apparently-they-changed-core.html)

Seantn 03-02-03 08:19 PM

Apparently they changed "The Core"

Six months ago I saw a test screening of The Core in Los Angeles. The movie was about the fact that the liquid in the earth's core had stopped spinning, and the earth was going to start coming apart at the seams and everyone on earth was doomed.

I just saw a commercial for the movie, which starts March 28. The announcer said "A weapon we created to start earthquakes on our enemies has turned on us", and it shows lots of lightning and destruction in the streets. The announcer says "Now, we have to save the planet", and Aaron Eckhart says,"We've got to get to the core and stop that device!"

I swear, six months ago, this was not the plot of the movie!

yecul 03-02-03 08:27 PM

Might as well just save us all the time and bother... Go DTV...

jaeufraser 03-02-03 09:11 PM

I was under the impression that this device caused the core to stop spinning. So in fact...both are correct. To my knowledge. Of course the real plot of this movie is that one friday a movie called the Core is released, and a person, namely me, decides that he'd rather light his money on fire than waste it on this movie. But that's just me.

Sunday Morning 03-02-03 09:23 PM

So this film is now about a rescue team who are miniaturized
into an apple and have to stop the apple from becoming rotten before a well known political figure attempts to eat the apple and ruin his appetite?

TheOne 03-02-03 09:32 PM

Was the test screening the whole movie?

The Antipodean 03-02-03 10:31 PM

It's the same "plot," just more detailed in the new trailer. The core stopped spinning (bwah ha ha -- sorry, can't even type that with a straight face) because of the machine people are using, apparently. This movie just looks godawful, that's for sure.

Robert 03-02-03 10:53 PM

Re: Apparently they changed "The Core"

Originally posted by Seantn
Six months ago I saw a test screening of The Core in Los Angeles. The movie was about the fact that the liquid in the earth's core had stopped spinning, and the earth was going to start coming apart at the seams and everyone on earth was doomed.

I just saw a commercial for the movie, which starts March 28. The announcer said "A weapon we created to start earthquakes on our enemies has turned on us", and it shows lots of lightning and destruction in the streets. The announcer says "Now, we have to save the planet", and Aaron Eckhart says,"We've got to get to the core and stop that device!"

I thought you were going to say they took out the scene where the space shuttle makes an emergency landing; as a result of the Columbia tragedy.

Kal-El 03-03-03 01:16 AM

Well the only thing I know is that there ARE 2 versions of the trailer. One where the hacker guy says "I need Hot Pockets and Kung Fu tapes" and another one where he needs Star Trek tapes.

Jackskeleton 03-03-03 01:58 AM

Well you had to make the geek even more geekier..

:Goes gets hot pocket and watches some TOS:

Trigger 03-03-03 02:35 AM

I've wanted to see this even though it sounds immensely stupid... me and my friend like seeing movies where cities get destroyed. I remember the original trailer and I don't remember anything about a weapon.

Panda Phil 03-03-03 05:22 AM

Jeez, who keeps greenlighting this shite? If they want to waste studio money, why don't they just dump $50 mil out on the street? At least that way it'll do SOMEBODY some good.

Goat3001 03-03-03 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Panda Phil
Jeez, who keeps greenlighting this shite? If they want to waste studio money, why don't they just dump $50 mil out on the street? At least that way it'll do SOMEBODY some good.
Its not a waste of money since you know this will easily make over $100 million. Just like Armageddon.

The plot looks pretty bad IMO but I'll end up seeing it in the theatre anyway. I bet it'll be pretty entertaining for me. As movies like this usually are.

DonnachaOne 03-03-03 10:44 AM

"It's Armageddon... in reverse.

Instead of going into space, dig into the earth!

Instead of a-list actors, get b-list actors!

While Armageddon sucked, this film will instead blow!"

Forgot where I heard that but it made me chuckle.

mdc3000 03-03-03 10:48 AM

Re: Apparently they changed "The Core"

Originally posted by Seantn

The device causes the core to stop spinning...so it's the governments fault that this has happened, so they go to get it spinning again...so basically, it's the same plot, except they added more about the REASON the core stopped spinning...and also so they could jazz up some special effects stuff involving this machine that creates earthquakes etc... to give more bang for the audiences buck... or so Paramount would have me believe.

MATT

Patman 03-03-03 11:27 AM

I wonder how much of the money shots have been spoiled by their bombastic movie trailer ad compaign.

Dr. DVD 03-03-03 01:17 PM

If there is any justice, this movie will not even make $50 million. To assume any major studio release guarantees $100 million gross is risky.

chanster 03-03-03 05:54 PM

Treasure Planet only made 40 million in the US Domestically.

Jackskeleton 03-03-03 10:43 PM

I doubt this will make much back.

Dr. DVD 03-04-03 08:27 AM

I doubt Paramount has much confidence in this flick, otherwise they wouldn't have changed the date so many times.

blackfog 03-04-03 02:19 PM

i can't stand when the guys says, "......(BLAH BLAH BLAH)...cook the planet." i don't know why.

i will see it just to see france get leveled!!!

mdc3000 03-04-03 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
I doubt Paramount has much confidence in this flick, otherwise they wouldn't have changed the date so many times.
This could be the case, but it seems to me, the real reason, which Paramount announced, was because they were adding/finishing effects shots....and if some of the plot has been altered in reshoots, I think that would justify the release date jumping, rather than Paramount doubting the picture...I think they have faith in it and just wanted it to be the best movie it could be... but maybe I'm just optimistic.

MATT

clemente 03-04-03 07:50 PM

It's opening the last weekend of March which isn't a dumping ground like it used to be. There's this build up to summer now, which now starts mid-April with a little late March tune up.

If they really wanted to just dump it out there, it would have come out in the previous two months.

Dr. DVD 03-04-03 08:11 PM

Originally posted by clemente
It's opening the last weekend of March which isn't a dumping ground like it used to be. There's this build up to summer now, which now starts mid-April with a little late March tune up.

If they really wanted to just dump it out there, it would have come out in the previous two months.

I predict it might open decent then drop off the charts like everything else. I remember the movie Volcano opened under similar circumstances in April of 1997, and did well its first weekend, then it dropped into obscurity pretty quick.

TheOne 03-04-03 09:37 PM

I still will go watch it. I liked Armageddon and Deep Impact.

Just me.

It's the end of the world! :)

Jericho 03-04-03 10:50 PM

It's still getting dumped somewhat. I would think if they had any confidence in the film, it would get a summer release (May-mid-August) where the box office seems to be the best. And it's the kind of summer blockbuster/disaster movie that people go to see. It should do alright in the end, but I wonder what the budget was? If it's under $100 million, I'd think they should be able to make some money.

funkyryno 03-05-03 03:21 AM

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
Well the only thing I know is that there ARE 2 versions of the trailer. One where the hacker guy says "I need Hot Pockets and Kung Fu tapes" and another one where he needs Star Trek tapes.
So what is geekier Star Trek tapes or Kung Fu tapes? Or Hot Pockets?

Trigger 03-05-03 04:16 AM

Originally posted by funkyryno
So what is geekier Star Trek tapes or Kung Fu tapes? Or Hot Pockets?
I'd say Star Trek anything is geekier. But then, I own lots of Kung Fu and my roommate eats Hot Pockets. :/

Dr. DVD 03-05-03 01:44 PM

Originally posted by TheOne

It's the end of the world! :)

As we know it? ;)

Moefuscious 03-05-03 03:09 PM

I feeeel fiiiiiiiiiiiiine ;)

gregorymarshall 03-05-03 03:47 PM

If it was released in the summer this movie would do real well: kids out of school, pg or so rating, repeat business etc.

For a march release? I dont see it topping 60 million total.

edytwinky 03-05-03 04:24 PM

They may want to change the movie again for it to be actually good.

Kal-El 03-05-03 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Moefuscious
I feeeel fiiiiiiiiiiiiine ;)
LEONARD BERNSTEIN!

tanman 03-07-03 03:54 AM

Seantn did you watch a test screen as in the whole movie? or are you talking about a preview. I remember seeing previews for this movie a long time ago.

As far as the business of it, disaster movies made a lot of money in the past such as Twister, Armaggedon, Earthquake, Titanic(although disaster it is in a totally different legue) but I doubt it if this will make much money at all. I predict they will lose money at least at the box office. they may make their money in video and DVD sales. I just don't think this movie appeals to the public especially at this time. I say it makes no more than 60 mill. which would still be somewhat decent but I don't know what the budget was.

drunkrob 03-07-03 09:20 AM

You want me to hack the planet?

Zzz

Zodo 03-07-03 09:43 AM

I'm gonna laugh my arse off when this movie makes about 20 bucks opening weekend.

Hopefully that'll get Hollywood to start thinking maybe they should stop making these sort of movies.

cooper2000 03-07-03 01:18 PM

It has to be better than Armaggedon because Brucheimers name isnt on it.