Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What is with all the movies with pop/rock/rap/etc. soundtracks?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-02-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!

There have been movies with current music in them where the music fit, or was part of the movie, such as High Fidelity, Airheads, and so forth.

There have also been movies where (IMHO) it seems like they are just trying to cram a lot of unrelated songs into the movie for very poor reasons:
A. so their music stars can get more exposure,
B. they want the movie to be "Fresh" or "Current" and think kids won't like it if it doesn't have the newest hotness,
C. the person in charge of selecting music for the film has amnesia, and only knows about music from the past year,
or D. they have a drunk monkey flinging CDs at the wall, and whatever doesn't break or scratch, they use...

Again IMHO, I thought the soundtrack for Daredevil was sukekekekeke, which is what inspired this thread. The Madonna theme song for Die Another Day was
Old 03-02-03, 09:15 PM

Well, the music is popular. And it helps sell soundtracks. And much of the target audience will enjoy these soundtracks. Is it always a good choice? Hell no, because oftentimes these people have no idea how to use the music and are just dating their movies. Something like The Matrix used a pop soundtrack well, but too many movies feel like they're just trying to sell soundtracks. The bright side is, in general these soundtracks are attached to bad movies anyway.
Old 03-02-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What is with all the movies with pop/rock/rap/etc. soundtracks?

Originally posted by littlefuzzy

There have also been movies where (IMHO) it seems like they are just trying to cram a lot of unrelated songs into the movie for very poor reasons:
A. so their music stars can get more exposure,
B. they want the movie to be "Fresh" or "Current" and think kids won't like it if it doesn't have the newest hotness,
This isn't exactly a new idea .... nearly 50 years ago they were doing the same thing with the first wave of "rock 'n roll" movies, with current recording stars showing up in the most unlikely places for the most unlikely reasons ("hey gang, Little Steve Wonder is down at the ice cream parlor -let's see if we can get him to sing a song for us!"
Old 03-03-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes the director has certain songs in mind for scenes, if not whole films.

Examples:
Quentin Tarantino, "Pulp Fiction"
Brian Helgeland, "A Knight's Tale"
Cameron Crowe, "Almost Famous"

Sometimes the director has come up with some good songs, but wants a fresher aproach to the rest, or more music to fill out a soundtrack, and so hires a music supervisor. A music supervisor usually picks songs by genre, which not only attracts a certain audience, but makes it easier to sell.

Example:
Pete Tong, "Human Traffic"

A lot of times, the studio will overrule the director, and hire a music supervisor to compile a set of likeminded songs, usually from the studio's parent company's record label. This has become omnipresent, and in situations like the later Batman films and Mission:Impossibles, there were not enough songs to comprise a soundtrack, so extra titles were added as songs "inspired" by the film. In some cases, they were songs written for the film and later dropped. This practice is the biggest express moneymaker and so is more widely used.

A new practice slowly emerging is an album being released that is mostly songs from the film with some "inspired" tracks, with other songs for the film intentionally left off. This allows the studio to release a SECOND soundtrack album, usually to coincide with the films debut on video.

I believe that's correct, though I may be wrong.
Old 03-03-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I really hate is watching a movie with a classical score, and then the end credits start rolling and it's some Linkin' Park crap or something. Especially if it's a period piece, like The Mummy Returns (not exactly a historical movie, but it does take place in the 30s).
Old 03-03-03, 12:47 PM
Suspended

In a lot of cases, the soundtrack is better than the movie and you can get some really cool new songs from bands that might not be on their normal albums. Spawn, Heavy Metal 2000 and Dracula 2000 are 3 good examples of sucky movies with great soundtracks
Old 03-03-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think most mindless action flicks (not that there is anything wrong with it, I enjoy them too) have rock/pop songs that don't really have any connection to the movie....

Just another way to promote the movie/song/artist. I don't get too bothered by it, I don't usually sit through the credits anyway (or listen to the radio for that matter).
Old 03-03-03, 03:16 PM
Banned

I don't think I understand the topic. Do you mean the movie can only have pop/rock songs if the movie is about music? I agree that period pieces should have music from the era but there's nothing wrong with films taking place in the present having music that is just coming out.
Old 03-03-03, 03:27 PM

Soundtracks sell movies and vice versa.

It's all about the...
Old 03-03-03, 08:10 PM

Why do 80's movies have 80's music?
Old 03-03-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
I agree that period pieces should have music from the era ...
You mean. like MOULIN ROUGE or A KNIGHT'S TALE ?