DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   City of God - further research (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/275195-city-god-further-research.html)

Aphex Twin 03-01-03 06:21 PM

City of God - further research

Just saw this movie....simply amazing. The rapid cutting and movement of the movie fits the story very nicely. Love the vividness and violence is the most relentless I have ever seen on film. Numerous nods to Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, and Reservoir Dogs.
I would like to research the story some more. How closely based on a "true story" was this movie? Are there any sources on the internet that tell more of the real-life events depicted in this movie? Like was Lil Dice and Carrot real drug lords? Any info would be appreciated.

Patman 03-01-03 06:34 PM

I have nothing to add in terms of the background of the film, but I'd like to share my review of it:

Finally made it to see "City of God". I had to go about 20+ miles to the only theater that was playing this film "near" me. The trip was more that worth it.

I don't think there's a single wasted frame in this film, the narrative is compelling, tight, and flat out engrossing as hell. I simply forgot about the running time of the film because I found myself caught up in the story wholeheartedly, and could not look away from the screen one second.

The film, while being over 130 minutes long, moves quickly and provides entertaining background vignettes of the gaggle of characters that come in and out of the story. There was, for me, plenty of black comedy all throughout the film, and it is able to keep the more serious tone of the material at hand, and then sprinkle in the slice of life comedic moments that display human nature rather primally throughout the film.

The film is not for the faint of heart, and there quite a bit of violence and gunplay, but the story is well told and riveting. If you have the stomach for the violence, you will be rewarded with a rich, viewing experience that you'll not forget for a long time to come.

I give it 4 stars, or a grade of A.

indycohiba 03-02-03 01:08 AM

Any news on a DVD release?

Matt925 03-02-03 04:12 AM

Originally posted by indycohiba
Any news on a DVD release?
This hasn't even had its major theatrical run yet. Harvey Weinstein was interviewed in the March 7 issue of Entertainment Weekly, and from what he said, it looks like this will get a pretty good release.

"I'll tell you the movie that's going to make us a lot of money, and it's so underrated out there, is City of God. We're going to explode that movie. It's Amores Perros if another company does it - us doing it will take it into another realm."

Sounds good to me.

indycohiba 03-02-03 10:25 AM

Originally posted by Matt925
This hasn't even had its major theatrical run yet. Harvey Weinstein was interviewed in the March 7 issue of Entertainment Weekly, and from what he said, it looks like this will get a pretty good release.

"I'll tell you the movie that's going to make us a lot of money, and it's so underrated out there, is City of God. We're going to explode that movie. It's Amores Perros if another company does it - us doing it will take it into another realm."

Sounds good to me.

Thanks. I meant in another region as it has not been theatrically released in the States yet.