Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Does any one scene ruin a movie for you?

Old 02-28-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does any one scene ruin a movie for you?

Does any one scene ruin a movie for you? Im talking aboot scenes that are just so bad that it makes the movie a lot less enjoyable.
Old 02-28-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course, on many occasions, ESPECIALLY if it's at the very end. In very recent memory this scene from the movie Cradle 2 the Grave comes to mind:
Spoiler:

A helicopter gets shot down, burns like crazy and yet the bad guy comes out TOTALLYYYYY unharmed AND all clean and starts fighting Jet Li like nothing happened. I swear, people in the theatre alllll started laughing their a*sses off.
Old 02-28-03, 10:01 PM

The torture scenes in The Princess Bride kind of ruined it for me. The tone of the rest of the movie is lighthearted and comedic, these introduced a serious feeling that spoiled it.
Old 02-28-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The adrenaline shot in Pulp Fiction.
Old 02-28-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back...

The jewel heist scene with Ali Larter. That was the dumbest thing Kevin Smith has ever written.

It doesn't really ruin the movie, but it comes close.
Old 02-28-03, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by ryuryu2949
The adrenaline shot in Pulp Fiction.
That's like the best scene in the whole movie.

Can't say that any one scene has completely ruined a movie for me though.
Old 03-01-03, 01:15 AM

For me there were two scenes in "Cradle 2 the Grave"

1.) They use a rocket launcher to break into a vault right under a building with a lot of people inside.

2.) DMX is running a away from killer dogs. He's going towards a wall. Instead of pushing off the wall and flipping over the dogs he runs halfway up the wall followed BY THE DOGS. this made me sit in my seat and wonder what the hell was going on. It was a good movie otherwise with two HOT looking women. Plus the scene during the credits is funny as hell.
Old 03-01-03, 01:22 AM

The incredibly bad "girl does the gymnastics routine" to kick the raptor out the window in The Lost World: Jurrassic Park II. Good god, I don't know what Spielberg was thinking when he put in that scene. I remember people groaning in the theatre.
Old 03-01-03, 01:38 AM

though it couldn't ruin an amazing movie i hate the
Spoiler:
old lady's tits in there's something about mary
gross
Old 03-01-03, 04:07 AM

I enjoyed Burton's Planet of the Apes until the end. That ending is the reason I haven't seen the movie more than once.
Old 03-01-03, 03:21 PM

Tommy Boy
The scence where Tommy and that girl are in the sailboat and those kids start making fun of him. It's fine up to the point where the girl stands up and starts yelling "Listen up you little spazoids..."

I have to fast forward through that part whenever I watch it.
Old 03-01-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a bad scene by any means, but every time I watch Saving Private Ryan I always skip the part where the German soldier slowly stabs Pvt. Mellish. It's a great and intense scene but it's painful to watch.
Old 03-03-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Skank
I enjoyed Burton's Planet of the Apes until the end. That ending is the reason I haven't seen the movie more than once.
I'll second this
Old 03-03-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

when the dog makes the leap to safety in the tunnel in ID4 - the first of many groan-inducing moments in that piece of crap.
Old 03-03-03, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Superman 2 : Haven't watched it since it's original release just because of this. The scene near the end where Sups secretly reverses his magic crystal machine to drain the three villains powers instead of his own. Man, even at 15 I thought that was a cheap way out and cheezy even by comic book standards!

Dragonslayer: The brave, self sacrificing princess winds up as baby dragon food. Hey wait a minute, that's not supposed to happen!

And while it doesn't completely ruin the film, the ending (or lack thereof) of Monty Python and the Holy Grail sure spoiled a lot of the fun for me.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 03-03-03 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-03-03, 08:08 AM

The manipulative framing sequence in the cemetery spoiled Saving Private Ryan for me.
Old 03-03-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Messenger - The Story of Joan of Arc:

The scene where the English soldier kills and rapes Jean's Sister. That in itself is disturbing. But then when the soldier turns to his two buddies and tells them it's their turn, and they look at him with comical expressions. That's just poor taste in my opinion and the wrong way to end that scene.