Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One Hour Photo ending question (CONTAINS SPOILERS!!!)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-28-03, 02:28 AM
Cool New Member

Got a question about the One Hour Photo ending.

I'm completely confused about it all.

-------------------SPOILER BELOW---------------

I figure when he's talking the cop in the end that he was abused as a child and had pictures taken of him by his father doing the same things he forced the Mr. Yorkin and that girl to do. Can you explain why though that the pictures in the camera were of simple household stuff and NOT the things he forced them to do? I'm confused. And what is the significance of him taking photos of the household items?

-------------------END SPOILER---------------------

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me.
Old 02-28-03, 03:09 AM

I took it as he wanted the two people to feel bad and gross like he did because the guy was cheating on his wife and the girl was cheating on her friend. Sey didn't really want to take pictures of them and have proof, like his dad did. I think he already had used up the film on odd stuff (The good things nobody takes pictures of is what he says earlier) not the bad stuff. So in his twisted mind he had taken pics of good not bad.
Old 02-28-03, 04:20 AM

I took it to mean that perhaps Sy had the mentality of a child, as Jake had taken pictures of random objects and odd things with the camera he had gotten for his birthday earlier in the film. I could be wrong.
Old 02-28-03, 07:36 AM
Admin Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! Since this thread is more about the movie, and not any features of the DVD, I'm moving it to Movie Talk.

Quick Tip: You can format text into a "spoiler text" by putting the [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] tags around them (without the spaces). To read the blacked-out text, you highlight it with your mouse.

Spoiler:
blah blah blah spoiler blah blah... cool, huh?
Old 02-28-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I listened to the end of the commentary track and they explained it all pretty well in there. I'd suggest that.
Old 02-28-03, 11:35 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by Roto
I listened to the end of the commentary track and they explained it all pretty well in there. I'd suggest that.
Yep. The previous posters have it pretty much right as well. Good/beauty/wonder in the ordinary.
Old 02-28-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A search may find you something like this
Old 02-28-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ketamine
A search may find you something like this
Of course that would only work if you searched the Movie Talk forum or the entire forum.

It does not come up when searching this forum (which was the DVD Talk forum when this was originally posted).
Old 02-28-03, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Music
Of course that would only work if you searched the Movie Talk forum or the entire forum.

It does not come up when searching this forum (which was the DVD Talk forum when this was originally posted).
Well, since this is a question about a movie, I think the correct place to search is obvious. Still, my post was only to direct people to a thread that has been discussed in the last week. Don't read anything else into it except trying to inform a new member where to get his answer and also to reinforce the fact that there is a search function on this site (as limited as it may be).
Old 02-28-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and also to reinforce the fact that there is a search function on this site (as limited as it may be).
Agreed.

Personally, I only go to Movie Talk to talk about the movies which are now playing at theatres.

Once it hits DVD, I talk about it in DVD Talk. Right or wrong that is my preference/interpretation.
Old 02-28-03, 05:40 PM

Agreed.

Personally, I only go to Movie Talk to talk about the movies which are now playing at theatres.

Once it hits DVD, I talk about it in DVD Talk. Right or wrong that is my preference/interpretation.
Well, then I think your interpretation is wrong. Basically, when talking about movie content (on dvd or not) it goes under the movie section. If you are talking about the specs on a dvd, extras, quality of video,release dates, etc ., then it goes in the dvdtalk section. Everyone else agree?
Old 02-28-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I said "Right or wrong that is my preference/interpretation". You don't need to try to start a *debate* and tell me I'm wrong.

Old 02-28-03, 08:48 PM

I said "Right or wrong that is my preference/interpretation". You don't need to try to start a *debate* and tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong!!!

OK, you started this when you decided to comment on my post and not add anything to the topic at hand. Previous poster stated that this was discussed in previous threads and I directed people to said discussion.

Maybe it is my preference that this topic should be in the mature section since my virgin eyes and ears couldn't stand the language and nudity in the movie, but that doesn't make it happen (or right). Go ahead and post where you want. Maybe we can make it a little game to see how long it takes the mods to get pissed b/c they have to move threads all the time.j/k
Old 02-28-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, you started this when you decided to comment on my post and not add anything to the topic at hand. Previous poster stated that this was discussed in previous threads and I directed people to said discussion.
I was only pointing out that the person who posted this thread, did so in the DVD Talk forum and if he had done a search (in the DVD Talk forum) this thread in the Movie Talk forum would not have been found.
Old 03-01-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always thought
Spoiler:
He took the photos to remind him of the things he likes while he spends his time in jail.

Don't know what the commentary explains but I'm comfortable with that explanation.
Old 03-01-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got a question about something else in the movie (also spoilers to follow):

What made Sy climb up on the ladder in his apartment and look at one of the photos on his wall? You telling me he recognized the woman the husband was having an affair with (who also dropped off film at the store) from THAT photo!? One he had to look at through a magnifying lense?? Kind of a stretch, no? Also, just who took all the photos of the husband and his mistress? The one's of them kissing, etc on the beach? Not to mention you'd think the husband would be more discreet and not be photographed. All of the above just seemed a little far fetched. But a terrific movie.
Old 03-01-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daytripper
I've got a question about something else in the movie (also spoilers to follow):

What made Sy climb up on the ladder in his apartment and look at one of the photos on his wall? You telling me he recognized the woman the husband was having an affair with (who also dropped off film at the store) from THAT photo!? One he had to look at through a magnifying lense?? Kind of a stretch, no? Also, just who took all the photos of the husband and his mistress? The one's of them kissing, etc on the beach? Not to mention you'd think the husband would be more discreet and not be photographed. All of the above just seemed a little far fetched. But a terrific movie.
As to him finally piecing together who that woman was just spoke to me of his obsessive compulsion over this family. As somebody who is probably more than somewhat obsessive compulsive when it comes to things like collecting CDs and DVDs, I can say that yeah, there are times you are reminded of something and don't realize what the sense of dejavu is until later on. And, if you are a detailed oriented person, cross referencing these things is only a matter of time. For him to finally come to the realization who that woman was just goes to show how much he had studied all the photos this family took and remembered even the smallest details.

As to who took the pictures...is it important? Maybe he was on vacation with another couple? Maybe he's a closet swinger? Who knows.
Old 03-02-03, 11:40 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by G. Noel Gross
Yep. The previous posters have it pretty much right as well. Good/beauty/wonder in the ordinary.
Sy even mentioned it earlier in the movie. How no one does that. So he was doing it, even if it were the last thing he did on earth ...
Old 03-03-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by calhoun07

As to who took the pictures...is it important? Maybe he was on vacation with another couple? Maybe he's a closet swinger? Who knows.
All possibilities. Is it important? Kind of. At least it was to the group of people I watched the movie with. We all kind of laughed when we saw it and said "Yeah right. Who took those!?" Collectively. It didn't kill the movie for us or anything. But kind of killed the mood for a second there. Personally, it would have been better and more realistic had the pictures been of him in bed or something trying to cover his face. In a few of the shots. But for him to openly let pictures be taken of kissing his mistress? Not very discreet.
Old 03-03-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
Personally, it would have been better and more realistic had the pictures been of him in bed or something trying to cover his face. In a few of the shots. But for him to openly let pictures be taken of kissing his mistress? Not very discreet.
I agree the filmmaker could have sold this scene better. Nonetheless, I managed a camera store for a few years and I can assure you that it's not uncommon for people to capture images of their indiscretions.
Old 09-29-03, 02:00 PM

I just watched this for the first time last night and the movie just kind of fizzled out at the end for me. There were also a few glaring unrealistic situations in the movie that were needed to further the story along.

The first being that no one in retail gets FIRED for stealing (that was the acusation) and then told to finish out the day let alone the rest of the week as Sy was.

Second the police go to the hotel that the husband is at because they fear he may be in danger. When they get to the hotel they find out that Sy is there already which kind of confirms that the husband is in danger. Do they rush to the husbands room to make sure he is OK or safe? No they go and look for Sy first.

I could have let those things slide if as I say the movie didn't fizzle out at the end for me.

The thing with Sy getting the pictures developed at the place he was fired at first looked promising. I thought...OK good...he's gonna f*#k with this guy who was such a jerk to him. But he's going to do it in a pschological way that really isn't going to harm anyone. But because that's all they did with that part of the story it ended up being just a device to get the police involved early in the game before Sy had done anything. This gave them the excuse to check his apartment which they found all the pics with the husbands face scratched out. So now we can have a race against time (will the cops catch Sy before he does anything to the husband or the family?).

I thought Robin Williams did a great job. I really liked Sy's philosophy on photographs and why we only take pictures of certain things and not of others. But the ending left me thinking "that's it"?
Old 09-30-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Grimm1
The first being that no one in retail gets FIRED for stealing (that was the acusation) and then told to finish out the day let alone the rest of the week as Sy was.
I got the sense that the Gary Cole character had had it up to here with Williams and would have used any excuse to fire him.
Old 10-01-03, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Peep
I got the sense that the Gary Cole character had had it up to here with Williams and would have used any excuse to fire him.
I agree that his manager seemed to just have a dislike for him and wanted to get rid of him. But it was just so unrealistic that he would be fired for "stealing" and then be allowed to work the rest of the week.

Also him being fired just seemed to really serve no purpose to the story except to make Sy do something stupid to the manager to draw attention to himself by the police before he actually did anything.