Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dreamcatcher... Methinks There's A Hella Lot of Potential

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Dreamcatcher: Opening Day, yay or nay?
YAY, bring on the probes!
47.50%
Hrm, perhaps later-- but still in the theaters.
22.50%
NAY, stop snorting crack... I never do opening day anything.
17.50%
I opt for sitting on the can, once again.
12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw the preview for Dreamcatcher for the nth time. I've heard a lot of people bashing it and labeling it "just another Stephen King movie" et al. So blah, I decided to look into it at IMDB.com, and... found that WILLIAM GOLDMAN was one of the screenwriters for the movie! (For those of you asking "Who?", he's the guy that wrote the book and screenplay for "The Princess Bride") This man wrote the screenplay for King's Misery and look how that turned out!

I don't know how many of you actually keep tabs on cinematographers as much as score composers, but (FTR) John Seale is the cinematographer for this flick as well. He did some amazing work for The Talented Mr. Ripley, The English Patient, The Doctor, The Perfect Storm, etc.

I'm anxious as hell to see this movie now knowing this, but there's plenty of other pros bolstering it.

Anyone know anything about Final Flight of Osiris? I heard on another forum that it'll be premiered before Dreamcatcher. If it's the same style as the Animatrix, then it should rock.
Old 02-27-03, 11:22 PM
Banned

Sorry. Despite all the talent involved, this just not look good at all.
Old 02-27-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me thinks the trailer looks like the movie is total garbage. then again, I might be wrong and I would be willing to eat crow if it does turn out to actually be good. Though the trailers make it look terrible.
Old 02-27-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
It looks a lot like Fallen to me.

I have not read the book, but have seen the commercials and all I can say is if I saw
Spoiler:
all the animals, predator and prey, of the forest walking in unison past my cabin - I would make a beeline right behind them, why the are leaving is no concern of mine I am getting the hell out of dodge
Old 02-28-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Cusm
It looks a lot like Fallen to me.

I have not read the book, but have seen the commercials and all I can say is if I saw
Spoiler:
all the animals, predator and prey, of the forest walking in unison past my cabin - I would make a beeline right behind them, why the are leaving is no concern of mine I am getting the hell out of dodge

either that or you just sit down with your hunting rifle and get some clean pickings.
Old 02-28-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I read the book a couple months ago and wasn't impressed (and I'm a huge SK fan). I'll see the movie because I love Morgan Freeman but I have a feeling this movie isn't going to do much business unless the reviews are spectacular.
Old 02-28-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I am interested in it because of the cast mostly, I was particularly happy to see that Damian Miller of Band of Brothers (he played Lt. Frank Winters) fame is in it. I also like the fact that Timothy Olyphant, Jason Lee and Morgan Freeman are in it, too. Maybe if word of mouth is decent, I can con my wife into going w/ me just so I can see how hard she can squeeze my arm now.
Old 02-28-03, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to check it out for the cast alone. Morgan Freeman, can get me into a theater with pretty much anything he does.
Old 02-28-03, 08:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I haven't read the book yet, but I plan on doing so sometime next week. After I know the story, then I'll decide whether or not what I think of the movie. It does have some nice talent involved.
Old 02-28-03, 09:48 AM

One of the big selling points for me is director Lawrence Kasdan. I love how all of his movies are very character-driven, so I'm especially excited to see how he handles what appears to be the sci-fi thriller genre (I haven't read the book).

I plan to be there opening night.
Old 02-28-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dreamcatcher does look interesting, but William Goldman's last King adaptation (Hearts in Atlantis) didn't work well with me. The book was pretty good, it had echoes of It and The Stand.
Old 02-28-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've been interested in this since i saw the first trailer back during the summer! looks great to me but we'll have to wait and see...

thrillers in the snow have so much potential IMO!
Old 02-28-03, 10:38 AM

The concept, as far as i can tell from the trailers, reminds me of The Thing.
Old 02-28-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mourn
The concept, as far as i can tell from the trailers, reminds me of The Thing.
same here
Old 02-28-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know about the movie ... I like most of the cast, but I absolutely hated the book.
Old 02-28-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
I read the book a couple months ago and wasn't impressed (and I'm a huge SK fan). I'll see the movie because I love Morgan Freeman but I have a feeling this movie isn't going to do much business unless the reviews are spectacular.
Same with me. Not one of King's best.

I'm not sure how well some of the action of the book is going to translate on screen. Freeman is dependable, so it does have my interest though.

Honk!
Old 02-28-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm wondering how much of the fart humor from King's book will make it to the screen. Hopefully very little.
Old 02-28-03, 02:47 PM
Banned

In my opinion it looks great.
Funny how people are so harshly judging it here.
Is it because it isnt a teen slasher flick?
We need more thrillers like The Others and The Ring.

Anything Lawrence Kasdan does is Above average and the cast, especially Thomas Jane, looks Top Notch.
Old 02-28-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm judging it so harshly because the trailer looked like total crap. the first trailer dragged on and had no point or message behind what it was trying to say. I normally hate slasher flicks, so I don't think you can say "You are hatin' it cause it's not..." since thats not it. I love the Others and enjoyed the ring, but the trailers really don't look good or atleast didn't tell me anything about the movie that is of any interest to me.
Old 02-28-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The trailers have, to me, looked very muddled and confused. Having read the story, I *think* I have some idea what is going on in them, but who knows.
Old 02-28-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup definitely gonna go check this one out, looks very good and the fact that the trailer doesn't give anything away is a defnite plus. ANDDDDDDDDDDDD there's gonna be a whole new Matrix Anime attached with it, so I'm definitely there
Old 02-28-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
This is an effing shill.
Old 02-28-03, 08:48 PM

Just finished the book - not King's best, but as someone mentioned, nice echoes of It. Plus, if they keep the, er, weasels, than the film will be at least good for a gross-out. With the exception of The Big Chill, I like everything Kasdan has done, and you know, Goldman's in a position to poo-poo Martin Scorsese, which makes him a genius, of course.
Old 02-28-03, 09:23 PM

I just read the book recently and was digging it until the end. It really unraveled for me in the last few chapters. I'll probably still see the movie in theaters. Hopefully the ending is changed a bit.
Old 02-28-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
WOuldn't call somebody a shill unless you're sure of it. It's pretty damned offensive when they're not, as has happened in this forum a few times lately.

Anyway, I have to admit the book is not my fave King work, and I've read almost all of them, so I'll probably wait to catch this on video. I'm curious how much they change it, though, like the OK "Hearts of Atlantis" movie pretty much eliminated all the ties to the "Breakers" and the "Dark Tower" series, which obviously they'd have to do. I'd much rather see an adaptation of "Bags of Bones" from King's more recent works IMHO...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.