Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

how do YOU find good movies that nobody has heard of?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-26-03, 04:14 AM

I am wondering how do some of you find movies that when you see them no one has really even heard of them...some I can think of are:
Y Tu Mama Tambien - Roger Ebert
Memento - just plain luck
Bowling For Columbine - my mom and dad
Old 02-26-03, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, you could read this forum regularly.

Actually, there was a thread not that long ago wherein a couple of people posted links to some underappreciated films on DVD lists.
Old 02-26-03, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
All those you list are pretty big named films.

Y Tu Mama Tambien... well if you heard about it through Roger Ebert, thats the tip off right there.

Momento - Had a huge word of mouth following. So you just have to listen to what people think of a film

Bowling for Columbine - A great film, but recieved a lot of commercial time considering it is a Documentary and well those don't get much Ad space.

Here are some others you might want to look out for or in some cases.. look around for since they have been floating around a bit.

Lost In La Mancha

He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not

Chaos

and if you haven't seen it yet.. "Far From Heaven" isn't to widely released and has been out for a while.. But I must say I loved the look for the movie. It just had a lot of plus' to watching it.

Also recommand The Pianist is one of those that I must also recommand that isn't getting enough buzz for.

My suggestion.. Look at the theaters near College area's. they cater to the stuff that is usually less common and have much fewer wide releases compared to the major studio A list films. Not to mention it offers a lot of Bonus theater experiences such as finding out if their is any Midnight movies playing anytime soon.
Old 02-26-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Weekly, I scan the local free paper for a complete list of every movie playing in the area. And that includes single or very limited screenings, usually films with no distribution. With at least 5 distinctive outlets that feature non-mainstream works, I'm never at a loss for choices.

Some of the more eclectic (current) works I've seen in the past 3 years, listed alphabetically:

101 Reykjavik
Ali Zaoua
The American Astronaut
Bartleby
La Cienaga
Derrida
The Deserted Station
Diamond Men
Esther Kahn
Eureka
The Isle
ivansxtc.
Kwik Stop
Lakeboat
The Land of the Singing Dog
Marooned in Iraq
Mysterious Object at Noon
One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenevich
One Man's Ceiling
Revolution #9
Sade
Take Care of My Cat
Too Much Sleep
Werckmeister Harmonies

Jackskeleton: are you refering to the Japanese Chaos (Kaosu)? If so, I recommend it as well, one of the better thrillers I saw last year.

And I really had to go out of my way to see He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not. Not playing in any "art" theaters, nor in multiple theaters. Just one place (a Loews six-screen theater) for one week with very little fanfare.
Old 02-26-03, 09:51 AM

From sundog... ...

from magazine's like Film Forum, Empire, Sight & Sound, Time Out (London/New York) Variety, weekly Washington City Paper, New York Village Voice.
Old 02-26-03, 11:03 AM

I follow all the major (and some minor) film festivals: Cannes, Venice, Berlin, Toronto, etc. People are bound to review films.

Another is just by knowing directors.
Old 02-26-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read the internet alot, and then also I have a habit of just going to the movie store and just ramdomly renting things that looks interesting. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but at any rate it helps broaden my horizions some.
Old 02-26-03, 12:11 PM

Mainly from:

1. Film magazines such as Film Comment, Cineaste, Cineaction, and Cinemascope.

2. A couple of email lists I'm on.

3. Friends.

4. I try to see everything they show at the Wexner Center.
Old 02-26-03, 12:15 PM

I see movies based on stuff that I read on the internet and in magazines. I saw Memento opening weekend of its limited release based on a review from Aint-It-Cool-News. I saw Devil's Backbone based on reviews at Aint-It-Cool-News too.
Old 02-26-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and buy blindly from the foreign film section at Borders. Well, it works for me.
Reading this forum helps too.
Old 02-26-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Read any interesting source on movies that's available. Avoid pablum crap like Access Hwd., Ent. Tonight, etc. Go to interesting movies and see trailers for more interesting movies. Patronize any video stores with a degree of individuality (if possible).
Old 02-26-03, 01:53 PM

Whoops, I'd be remiss without mentioning this forum. When a movie is mentioned on this board, usually it's not playing in my locale, so I put it in the back of my mind, even if it's just a title, nothing more. Then weeks, months, sometimes a year later, while scanning the listings it'll be the reference back to here that distinguishes some certain picture from the others.

Actually, it just happened with "Irreversible" playing next month.

p.s. ha! you're pretty funny Giles.
Old 02-26-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as people dog on them, I hear of a lot of semi-obscure movies from Ebert and Roeper (formerly Siskel and Ebert). They review a lot of movies that don't play everywhere, plus they mention things that they like at some of the film festivals. Sometimes, they may not even like a movie they review, but you still see clips and hear about it, and can make up your own mind if it sounds interesting. I can't think of all of them, but one from way back that I heard of from them (and saw years ago) is Bottle Rocket.

Also, I grew up in LA and live now in Seattle, both places where most movies that play at all play at least a week or two.
Old 02-26-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have various ways to find new titles on both DVD and CD (I know you didn't ask about music, but I use pretty much the same methods). One is I shop amazon.com. Even if I don't intend to buy from them, even if I can get the movie I want elsewhere, if I find an unusual movie that I really like, I type it in at amazon.com and they always have those "listmania" things that people post. I feel that if I liked this movie, and somebody else likes it, they might be able to recommend me something else I could like.

I also pay attention to interviews with directors I like. If I am into a director, and in some interview they are talking about some great movie or director that flips their switch, usually it's a director of little notoriety, the movies are independent, and I will seek them out to see what he's talking about. I do this alot with music as well. When I find an artist I really like, I find out who influenced them and seek out CDs by those artists, and I will also find out who was influenced by that musician, and I will seek out those CDs. Some years ago, I got into the music of Mark Heard, for example, and ever since then, most of the CDs I have purchased in the last several years are mainly by artists that influenced him and artists influenced by him. I do the same with directors I like, seeking out movies that insipired them, and movies that they have inspired. You can find some good movies that way that never make it at the theaters.
Old 02-27-03, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by sundog
Whoops, I'd be remiss without mentioning this forum. When a movie is mentioned on this board, usually it's not playing in my locale, so I put it in the back of my mind, even if it's just a title, nothing more. Then weeks, months, sometimes a year later, while scanning the listings it'll be the reference back to here that distinguishes some certain picture from the others.

Actually, it just happened with "Irreversible" playing next month.

p.s. ha! you're pretty funny Giles.
actually I was kind of being truthful... .... All the pre 2000 movies you see I take note as something that I feel would warrant my time in trying to see. I actually value your judgement and taste in movies (cue the sappy music).
Old 02-27-03, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Giles
I actually value your judgement and taste in movies (cue the sappy music).
Thanks man. I appreciate and reciprocate the sentiment.

So, that's 1 down, 31,776 forum members to go.
Old 02-27-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've "discovered" many little gems on the Sundance Channel and Independent Film Channel, which usually shows movies in their OAR, and always uncut and without commercials.
Old 02-27-03, 10:50 AM

I assumed IFC showed their movies uncut since I saw awhile back they were showing "Prospero's Books" - couldn't imagine how a television edit would look. Another reason why I need to change cable companies and get IFC.

If I had more time I would like to enjoy the movies that Turner Classic Movies airs.
Old 02-27-03, 10:53 AM
MrN

The best thing that goes with TCM and IFC is a TIVO which lets you set wishlists on your favorite directors/actors/keywords.

I have seen IFC show films non-OAR. Never on TCM though.
Old 03-01-03, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

A few weeks ago I was at my local comic book shop and cheching out the new release and they had a movie i never heardit was called comic book villians. I though it was going to be a chessey
comic book movie but to my surprise it is probably one of the best films i've seen this year. the plot was great but the evolution of each character to see how far they would go to get what they want . i dont want to spoil it for any one but you should check it out
Comic book villians
Old 03-02-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try this site http://207.136.67.23/film/uffc.htm#ff for cool movies coming to DVD.
Old 03-02-03, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really know how I find them... I guess it's cuz I watch everything. If the poster or box looks stupid - I watch it anyway. I don't pre-judge movies like alot of people do. I'm usually the guy that people come to to ask what a good weird or obscure movie is they should go see. Not so much around the forum though.
Old 03-02-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A Philisophical Quandry:

If "nobody" has heard of a "good movie"...does it exist?

Old 03-02-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i normally go to aintitcool.com and a few bulletin boards like this one.
Old 03-02-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well either from critics that you usually find their opinions simliar to yours, either from reviews of film festivals, either from blind buys, or either you just go see them in the theatre (especially those that specialze in limited-showings and/or foreign movies), without knowing what they are to begin with.