DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   When David Letterman Hosted Oscar (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/274079-when-david-letterman-hosted-oscar.html)

rennervision 02-25-03 09:49 AM

When David Letterman Hosted Oscar

I tend to think of past hosts at the Oscars around this time of year during all the new Oscar buzz. In the past few years, I don't recall anyone's stint being as reviled as David Letterman's.

I may be the one oddball here - but I could never understand why everyone seemed to hate him that night. I heard criticisms about how stuff like his "Oprah... Uma..." jokes were lame.

But my reaction to those comments were - have you ever seen his show? What were you expecting? I think Dave is funny, and I felt his Oscar show was at the same level of humor. Not sure what people expected from him that night, because it seemed to me he was completely in character.

I would love to hear why someone else feels a guy who's considered funny for his top ten lists on his talk show, is not considered funny if he reads a top ten list at the Oscars.

hgar78 02-25-03 09:58 AM

he didnt have the razzle-dazzle that oscar expects (a la billy crystal) i think that's why no one liked him. i thought it was classic dave and enjoyed it.

sherm42 02-25-03 11:27 AM

I loved his performance. I think people didn't get his humor. Especially since he didn't kiss eveyone's asses during the show. He made fun of Hollywood a little which they hate.

Pants 02-25-03 12:11 PM

He WAS Dave. He did exactly what you would expect from Dave. I thought he was great. Better than that sickening Whopi Goldberg. His Jack Nicolson impression was hillarious.

Ginwen 02-25-03 12:14 PM

I liked it better than most hosts. Although Uma-Oprah was kind of dumb.

badger1997 02-25-03 12:17 PM

I always loved the job he did and never understood why he was reviled so much for that show. Whoopi and Billy Crystal make me ill and I hate having to put up with either of them for the long Oscar broadcast. I wish they would do some thinking outside the box and get a new host, but I guess maybe the David Letterman decision scared them away from doing that anytime soon?

At least they don't do the whoring act that networks do when they host other major awards shows. Nothing pisses me off more than tuning into like the Emmys on CBS and seeing Ray Romano or Kevin James hosting. I hate it when networks use award shows to push their stars as hosts.

sherm42 02-25-03 12:18 PM

God help us if they ever get Leno to do it.

Pants 02-25-03 01:33 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
God help us if they ever get Leno to do it.
OH MY GOD I WOULD F**KING DIE!!!! I PRAY IT NEVER HAPPENS.

MrPeanut 02-25-03 01:38 PM

It may seem like everyone thinks he's funny, but how many people really watch his show? He couldn't get on TV before 1230 for much of his career and even still he's on after most people are asleep. That's not where I'd put someone if everyone really thought he was funny. Don't the Oscars get about ten times the viewers that his show gets?

Also as everyone said, he was just Dave. That's nice and all, but the show isn't about him.

But it's not like Oprah-Uma was any less funny than the twelfth time Palance came out to do push ups.

conscience 02-25-03 01:50 PM

I barely watch now (mostly the major categories) but if Jay Leno ever hosted, I would definitely wait for the news on winners after the show.

But I do think that hosts are wasted and there is really no need to have an opening monologue for an awards show.

And hey, it would take 5-10 minutes off of the already long running time.

But yeah. Dave was Dave.

HistoryProf 02-25-03 04:11 PM

add me to the :up: camp for Dave hosting....i thought he was great....

and yes, Jay Leno hosting would be an absolute travesty....that man is soooooooooo not funny. And Whoopie can bite me as well :yack:

UAIOE 02-25-03 08:57 PM

Dave was great hosting the Oscars (the Jack Nicolson bit was the best)

The problem is that the show is a stuffy hollywood event that everyone takes damn seriously.

The Oscars are a bore and no matter how many times Billy Crystal hosts its not going to make the event any more exciting.

I admire Dave's hosting because it was so "anti-hollywood"

lesterlong 02-25-03 09:57 PM

Sorry, but I'm not hopping on the happy train here. David Letterman was horrible at the Oscars because he was being himself. How anyone could sit through his show is beyond me. That guy is just not funny, ever. Conan O'Brien is funny in his own way, Letterman is not funny in any way. And there have been other hosts to make fun of celebrities (ie Steve Martin)

darkflounder 02-25-03 11:08 PM

Nobody could be worse than Whoopi Goldberg. She was worse than Dave.

UAIOE 02-26-03 02:36 AM

Originally posted by lesterlong
How anyone could sit through his show is beyond me.
How anyone can sit through the Oscars is beyond me.

3 hours of a bunch of celebs patting each other on the ass.

Only good thing coming out of the Oscars recently was that Denzel Washington won.

hgar78 02-26-03 09:26 AM

Originally posted by MrPeanut
He couldn't get on TV before 1230 for much of his career and even still he's on after most people are asleep. That's not where I'd put someone if everyone really thought he was funny.

Also as everyone said, he was just Dave. That's nice and all, but the show isn't about him.

he "couldnt" get on earlier b/c johnny was on, dave admires him and my belief is that he wouldnt have wanted to go head-to-head anyway.

BTW he didnt make the show about him, he just used his humor just like every host does.

BassDude 02-26-03 11:07 PM

"Wanna buy a monkey?"

I had Dave's Oscar hosting on VHS, but I have no idea where it is now.. Maybe I taped over it. I was busy doing something during the Oscars and couldn't watch it live. I found some of the bits to be very funny and ended up watching parts of the tape a couple times. In case ya don't remember, he had "stars" doing his line from Cabin Boy (above). My fav was Michael Buffer.... "Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmon-kehhhhhy!!!

Anyway...loved it...wish he'd do it again. Not likely tho'...