Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

NEWS!! One & Only Spider-man 2 NEWS!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

NEWS!! One & Only Spider-man 2 NEWS!!

Old 02-25-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Is the Black Cat in this one as well?
Old 02-25-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope
Old 02-25-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they can fix the CG issues , than it could be a decent movie. The biggest problem I had with the original was the CG was downright appalling. Another thing was, I thought the Green Goblin custom was too "Power Ranger'ish" and really hurt the film, despite Dafoe's steller performance.

As you can tell, I wasn't a fan of the first film, but I'm hopeful for the sequel. Same with X-2.
Old 02-25-03, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
Venom is a frickin' idiot. He's "cool" if you're 14 years old. Doctor Octopus is a much more complex and interesting character. Ooo... Venom, the evil "dark side" of Spider-Man. Wow, how original an idea is that?
Only 14 year olds defend their arguments with the word "Ooo"
Old 02-26-03, 12:25 AM
Suspended

It's a shame Roy Orbison is no longer with us, he'd be perfect for doc ock
Old 02-26-03, 08:31 PM

superherohype.com
Marvel Sues Over Sony Spider-Man Deal
Tuesday, February 25, 2003 9:13 CST

Marvel Enterprises Inc. on Tuesday said the unit that licenses its legendary cast of characters has filed suit over a Spider-Man licensing deal with Sony Pictures Entertainment. Marvel released the following statement:

"Earlier today Marvel Characters, Inc. a wholly-owned subsidiary of Marvel Enterprises, filed a suit in Superior Court of the State of California, County of Los Angeles concerning a licensing agreement with Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. and SPE Spider-Man GP Inc. The suit was filed under seal pursuant to California Rule Of Court 243.2 and confidentiality provisions in the companies' agreement.

"The complaint is not an attempt to stop production of the Spider-Man sequel slated for May 2004 nor is it an attempt to change or upset any of the merchandising/licensing deals that are in place for the sequel. Additionally, while the litigation is not expected to have any material negative impact on Marvel's financial results or on its guidance for 2003 and beyond, a successful resolution of the matter would be anticipated to have a positive financial effect upon Marvel's future operations. Given confidentiality requirements related to the agreement, Marvel is unable to comment further on the matter."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lets face it....Spidey is a money maker. Either way Marvel and Sony will not stop filming Spidey 2 because of this. Too much money would be lost on both sides.

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 02-26-03 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-28-03, 09:57 AM

Spider-Man Stuntman Turns Down Sequel
Friday, February 28, 2003 9:58 CST

According to SavannahNOW, Spider-Man stuntman Stanton Barrett will not be back for the sequel...

Some of Barrett's other credits include work on Spider-Man," Jurassic Park II," Jurassic Park III," Volcano," Blade" and Jumanji."

Barrett recently was offered a role in a sequel, Spider-Man II," but he turned it down to devote his attention on racing.

Of all the roles he's played in the last 15 years, a full-time driver on the NASCAR Busch Series is the most important -- especially when he doesn't flip, spin, jump, crash and blow up the car.

Superherohype.com
Old 03-01-03, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alfred Molina as Dr. Octopus

Actually, I can see that. Dr. Octopus is not a very attractive person and this is more of Sam Raimi taking it back to old school Spider-Man. Imagine Dr. Octavius as the brilliant but socially misfit scientist, tired of hearing the insults behind his back about his appearance and personality. Surely, in the conflict with Spider-Man, Octupus will say that Spider-Man doesn't know what it's like being intelligent, yet a social misfit. This will give Spider-Man pause, as he knows exactly what it's like as Peter Parker. Hopefully there won't be any flashy costume for Octupus, just the simple jumpsuit that he originally appeared in.

Last edited by RKillgore; 03-01-03 at 01:07 AM.
Old 03-01-03, 10:51 AM

I'm wishing for no flashy costume either. But the green jumpsuit has to go! Keep the lab coat but have something less 'old school' under it. Hell a plain biz suit would be fine even.
Old 03-01-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
How about a silk robe?

The minute I heard Molina was cast, all I could picture was the shot of him with the gun in his bathrobe in Boogie Nights screaming "Die you Motherf---ers!" with four mechanical arms extended around him.
Old 03-04-03, 12:00 AM

The Spider-Man 2 Stunt Coordinator is...
Monday, March 3, 2003 11:06 CST

Superhero Hype! has learned that Jeff Habberstad is no longer the stunt coordinator on the Spider-Man sequel. 'Mike' tells us that Dan Bradley has taken over that role. Bradley has a strong background (see his impressive filmography here) and a good crew behind him.

Chris Daniels, who was one of the main doubles for Spidey in the first film, will be back as well.

Mark Wagner, also a stunt double for Spidey in the first film, won't be returning for the sequel.
superherohype.com
Old 03-06-03, 09:46 AM

Dykstra Talks Spider-Man Special Effects
Thursday, March 6, 2003 9:38 CST

Ain't-It-Cool-News has posted an excellent interview with Spider-Man special effects supervisor John Dykstra which goes in-depth about the first film. Here's just a taste...

"Now, you ask about going back to do things in SPIDER-MAN. I don't think so. I think that the film stands in its own right. There's an odd thing that's said, that works of art are never completed, they’re abandoned. And I think that 'abandon' is truly what you do. You move on. You learn from that experience, and you go into the next opportunity with a new piece of vocabulary. Our vocabulary, our dictionary, now has pages full of information that we gained from the making of the first film. And the ingenuity that went into the making of that first film is no longer ingenuity; it's a known commodity. So, now, we take our ingenuity and our experience and move into the next movie realizing that the last thing that we want to do is to simply make a better version of that movie. What we have to do is make a *different* movie. That's the only way that SPIDER-MAN 2 will be a success compared to SPIDER-MAN 1."

Superherohype.com
Old 03-06-03, 05:04 PM

More News on the Spider-Man 2 Stunt Team
Thursday, March 6, 2003 4:20 CST

We learned earlier this week that Dan Bradley is the new stunt coordinator for Spider-Man 2 and that Spidey double Chris Daniels was returning for the same task on the sequel.

Sources now also tell Superhero Hype! that Zach Hudson, one of the main doubles from the first film, will also be returning.

We're hearing that the sequel will be even better than the first, so stay tuned for lots more! You can learn more about the stunt crew by clicking on the links above.

Meanwhile, 'Mike Steadman' says the Spider-Man movie was nominated for a stunt...

Interesting news from the world of stunts. Spider-Man is nominated for a World Stunt Award for best fight sequence. The end fight between Spider-Man and the Green Goblin. As a side note: Scott Leva who was the number one choice to play Spider-Man for Cannon films is also nominated in two categories for an amazing (No pun intended) high fall he performed on the Antonio Banderas / Lucy Liu action pict, "Ballistic: Ecks VS Sever." It would make Spidey himself proud.

superherohype.com
Old 03-07-03, 03:49 PM

Hey WhiteKnight!

What would be your best advice for a guy like me who would die to be an extra in Spider-Man 2? As a fellow New Yorker and Spidey fan I'm sure you've looked into the possibility? That testimony from that kid in Chicago got my blood curling. I'm 5 minutes away from the Forest Hills set, and will definitely spend a lot of time there around the April filming dates. Heck, I'll even skip work to catch a glimpse of the action.

I have a friend of a friend whose house was in the movie as the Parkers' neighbors' house, but they weren't able to give me any information.

I've looked all over various sites as well as supererohype.com without any luck. You seem to be pretty much on top of Spidey 2 news, and I seek your guidance! How frickin' cool would it be to get some screen time!?
Old 03-07-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
For the first one, A lot of the filming was done in Los Angeles. I was an extra for the celebration scene and have my pin to show it.

Best bet is just keep your ears open if they need extra's.. and for the love of god, don't wear a spiderman or comic related shirt. that was one of the basics it stated on the paper.
Old 03-07-03, 10:46 PM

CuriousGeorge,

Here are some dates for you...

April 12th to 13th: Columbia University
April 14th and 15th: Forest Hills, Queens.
April 17th Chinatown off Pell and Doyer Streets.
April 21st to 23rd: Hyden Planetarium

As Jackskeleton said don't wear any spidey stuff...look very New York! Call up different acting agencies and ask if any extras are need for this movies. Get in touch with different theater schools to see if they have any info on requested extras for spidey 2. Look around for flyers too.

Good luck man! On the 12 and 13 I'm going to hang around Columbia University. Maybe I'll get lucky.
Old 03-08-03, 12:55 AM

Thanks for those tips on the agencies..I wouldn't have thought of that. Yep thanks for the dates too. I was planning on going to the Forest Hills and Chinatown dates. I figured so much as to the no spidey stuff..common sense...but I'm gonna be extra safe and not wear any logos either. I'm Chinese and 22, wish me luck. If anyone else is as interested as I am, I'll look around for contacts to acting agencies (I didn't know such a thing existed) and report back in a week or two with my findings.
Old 03-08-03, 08:47 AM

Curious George,

Ok this might help...call the Chicago Film hotline (312)427-FILM ask them which casting agency they used and then call that agency and then ask them if they are aware of what casting agency the NYC team is using. Goodluck!
Old 03-08-03, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
How about a silk robe?

The minute I heard Molina was cast, all I could picture was the shot of him with the gun in his bathrobe in Boogie Nights screaming "Die you Motherf---ers!" with four mechanical arms extended around him.
That's where I've seen him recently, Boogie Nights. What a great scene that is.
Old 03-16-03, 11:29 PM

LaMolinara Talks Spider-Man 2 Special Effects!
Saturday, March 15, 2003 10:29 CST
superherohype.com

Animation Director Anthony LaMolinara, who is nominated for the Visual Effects Oscar along with his Spider-Man colleagues John Dykstra, Scott Stokdyk and John Frazier, talked to the Montreal Gazette about what we can expect in the sequel!

LaMolinara is slaving away preparing the animation groundwork for Spider-Man 2, which starts filming later this spring. He said the sequel will up the computer-generated animation ante big time.

"We'll be topping whatever you've seen up until this point in computer-generated cinema. I'm very excited about what I see."

The hardest thing about doing the animation for the Spider-Man movies is giving the webbed hero superhuman qualities and still making it look believable, LaMolinara said.

"You have to accept that this character has shot the web and swung in between the buildings. To make the character incredible and believable was the biggest challenge for me.

"People know this character. They've grown up with this character. So you have got to satisfy their perception of what this character is and then try to lay something on top of it that's even more special, maybe something they haven't even thought of. Or give them action like they've never seen before."

This is LaMolinara's first Oscar nod, and he admits the nomination came as quite a thrill.

"I got so excited, I almost shot a web and swung to the stage. It's like a stamp of approval from your peers, and I think then people start to trust you more. It gives you more opportunities to do things, and eventually that adds up to you making the kinds of films you want to make."
Old 03-17-03, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by CuriousGeorge
If anyone else is as interested as I am, I'll look around for contacts to acting agencies (I didn't know such a thing existed) and report back in a week or two with my findings.
Let me know if you find out more, I got a friend who would be interested in doing this. Appreciate it.
Old 03-18-03, 10:49 AM

Maguire Questionable for 'Spider-Man' Sequel
1 hour, 30 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - He may still have radioactive blood at the box office, but a bad back could end up derailing Tobey Maguire (news)'s return as "Spider-Man."

Reuters Photo

Maguire, who became a Hollywood titan starring in last year's top-grossing movie as the web-slinging Marvel Comics superhero, may be replaced in the "Spider-Man" sequel by the real-life boyfriend of his on-screen love interest, Kirsten Dunst (news), Daily Variety reported in its Tuesday editions.

Maguire's spokeswoman told the entertainment trade paper the actor is still healing from "mild discomfort in his back" brought on by physically demanding roles in his last two films.

Maguire finished production on the original stunt-heavy "Spider-Man" in April 2001, then went to work 18 months later on "Seabiscuit," portraying jockey Red Pollard. That four-month shoot wrapped last month, Variety said.

The question now is whether he will be well enough to reprise his role as the teenage geek transformed by the bite of a radioactive spider in time to begin production on "The Amazing Spider-Man" sequel project.

"With an April 12 start date around the corner, everyone involved wants to be certain he is able to do the intense stunts," his spokeswoman said in a statement.

In line to don Peter Parker's red-and-blue tights if Maguire isn't fit to swing from skyscrapers again is actor Jake Gyllenhaal (news), who happens to be dating Dunst and who recently starred in the films "Moonlight Mile" and "The Good Girl."

Because of scheduling conflicts, it would be hard to delay production on the "Spider-Man" sequel to give Maguire more time to recover, Variety said.

The film originally was slated to begin shooting in January but was pushed to April so that Maguire could complete work on "Seabiscuit." In addition, Dunst, reprising her role as "Spider-Man" heroine Mary Jane Watson, is slated to begin production this summer on her next project, the tennis film "Wimbledon (news - web sites)."

In any event, "The Amazing Spider-Man" remains on a tight schedule to make the May 7, 2004 release date set by distributor Columbia Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp (news - web sites) ., Variety said.

Questions about Maguire's fitness to return as Spider-Man for the sequel come only a month after his agents renegotiated a career-best $17 million salary for the actor, more than four times what he earned for the original "Spider-Man" film, Variety said. "Spider-Man" was the highest-grossing movie of 2002, generating worldwide ticket sales of $800 million, according to the entertainment trade paper.
Old 03-20-03, 09:19 AM

Interview With Spider-Man's John Dykstra
Thursday, March 20, 2003 8:52 CST

Effects guru John Dykstra talks with U Magazine about his career and bringing Spider-Man to life:

On "Spider-Man," ' Dykstra's skills were put to the test. Director Sam Raimi wanted the computer-generated images to convey the essence of being Spider-Man.

"It goes further than just what it" s like to swing through the city,'' says Dykstra, who also worked on visual effects for 1977's "Star Wars," ' 1995's "Batman Forever" ' and 1999's "Stuart Little." ' "The idea was to give you the emotional content involved, not only being the character, but the transition that occurs between him being a young man going through puberty and being a superhero.

"When Peter Parker puts his costume on, we" ve lost his face. The most difficult thing was to create a performance without the obvious context of the eyes and the mouth. To give the character any kind of emotional content, it has to be explained with body language,'' Dykstra says.

"The hardest part was the subtle bits that made you realize that character was a human being. Our animators had to do that. We" d never taken it to that level of sophistication.''

Audiences noticed, particularly members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences. Dykstra, along with visual effects supervisor Scott Stokdyk, animation supervisor Anthony LaMolinara and special effects supervisor John Frazier have all received Oscar nominations for best visual effects.

The nomination is Dykstra's fourth, following 1999's "Stuart Little," ' 1979's "Star Trek The Motion Picture" ' and 1977's "Star Wars," ' which garnered him an Oscar.

Dykstra is now in New York City working on pre-production for the next "Spider-Man" ' film, which is scheduled for a May 2004 release.

What computer-imaging feats will Dykstra and the team tackle this time?

"One of the things about being in the visual effects business is you have to take on the challenge of things you don" t know yet how to do,'' Dykstra says. "You have to literally commit to doing things you don" t know how you're going to achieve in order to make the film current when it's released because it takes so long to make a film and things change so rapidly.

"We" ve set for ourselves several challenges,'' he says. "We" re going to do a real human being with real flesh and make it indistinguishable from the live actor on film. We're going to take the level of performance to the next level for Spider-Man.''

superherohype.com
Old 03-21-03, 04:54 PM

Preview of Doc Ock
Friday, March 21, 2003 12:32 CST

Sci Fi Wire reports on the new villain for Spider-Man 2:

Steve Johnson, the prosthetic and animatronic effects artist for the upcoming sequel The Amazing Spider-Man, told SCI FI Wire that director Sam Raimi wanted a real costume for the new villain, Doctor Octopus. "Sam's a fan [of animatronics], and he feels like the fans would prefer to see the real thing," rather than a computer-generated image, Johnson said in an interview. "It's a lot harder when you have a puppet, and you've got 18 performers on the set. It takes a lot longer to shoot than if you do it digitally."

Visit the link above for more.
Old 03-23-03, 03:58 AM

Kirsten Dunst Talks Spider-Man 2!
Sunday, March 23, 2003 1:08 CST

Comingsoon.net has up a new interview with Kirsten Dunst in which she talks about her April 4 film, "Levity", and what we can expect of Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2...

Now, Dunst is preparing to go back to work on Spider-Man 2, and looking forward to her character's growth. "The growth of my character is really good. I'm really happy where they've brought Mary Jane and she's really a stronger woman now. She's learned a lot and I'm ready for her to move on and be the strong one and take the initiative with Peter and be like stronger."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.