DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   A Dances With Wolves Discussion (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/273416-dances-wolves-discussion.html)

Amadeus 02-22-03 01:55 PM

A Dances With Wolves Discussion

In honor of the new Dances With Wolves SE, i've decided to start a thread on the film itself.IMO i think it's a masterpiece.One of my all time favorites.Beautifully shot and directed, a great script and wonderful acting all-around.I however feel that it gets critized just because of Costner.I hear people who bad mouth the movie but just say bad things about Costner, not the film itself.Well, let's forget about the Costner bashing and concentrate on the film.I've seen the theatrical cut and the long version.While i think both versions are excellent, the long version details the characters even more and adds to them.Whether long or short this film will always be a grand epic.So, your thoughts. :)

*Disclaimer* Please no Costner Bashing *Disclaimer* :)

movielib 02-22-03 02:07 PM

I also voted the long version is even better. While I might stop short of calling it a masterpiece, it is a very, very good film.

I totally agree with you that many people dislike it because they love to bash Kevin Costner (who, while not the world's greatest actor, is a lot better than he's usually given credit for).

Not only that, I also like The Postman. Will Patton was such a great villain. That was brilliant casting against type.

Amadeus 02-22-03 02:21 PM

Originally posted by movielib

Not only that, I also like The Postman.

:eek: My God.

WiccanPagan 02-22-03 02:32 PM

masterpiece. one of the only really good new era epics.

gondorspit 02-22-03 03:27 PM

Not quite a masterpiece, but I watch it whenever it's on TV. I do believe that Costner bashing is the leading cause of this movie's diminished reputation. John Barry's soundtrack gives the film a timeless and epic feel, and despite what I've heard people say this movie is very well acted. Costner has his best performance, outside a movie about sports, really making the character's changes believable.

lxl 02-22-03 04:13 PM

There should have been an option between "masterpiece" and "average". Now it only gets my "average" vote.

Amadeus 02-22-03 04:20 PM

Originally posted by lxl
There should have been an option between "masterpiece" and "average". Now it only gets my "average" vote.
Yeah my bad. :(

LBPound 02-22-03 04:40 PM

My vote goes to "garbage." So sappy, melodramatic and lacking genuine emotion, for me. In my opinion, any of the other films nominated for Best Picture that year - even the dreadful Godfather III - would have been more worthy of the top Oscar honor. :down:

Amadeus 02-22-03 04:42 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
In my opinion, any of the other films nominated for Best Picture that year - even the dreadful Godfather III - would have been more worthy of the top Oscar honor.
Dear God No! :eek:

greatjedi 02-22-03 06:19 PM

I say masterpiece. I haven't seen the extended version, so I'm highly anticipating the new DVD release.

Amadeus 02-22-03 06:22 PM

Originally posted by greatjedi
I say masterpiece. I haven't seen the extended version, so I'm highly anticipating the new DVD release.
New DVD release :drool:

Dr. DVD 02-22-03 06:26 PM

I thought it was a Masterpiece when I first saw it, but later realized that I was juat spellbound by the cinematography and score. (Which was enough and almost still is)

However, I think Goodfellas got screwed that year.

THORN 02-22-03 07:36 PM

while i cannot give it my blessing as a masterpiece ....DWW is an incredible film. i am eagerly awaiting the long cut on DVD. WHile i dodnt pretend to be a kostner fan, my fav movie of his will always be the bodyguard, then closely followed by dances with wolves

NavinJohnson 02-22-03 08:24 PM

Nice thread Amadeus. :up: I wouldn't say its perfect, but I think Dances with Wolves deserves the label 'Masterpiece'. It is truly majestic on the big screen. This film comes to mind whenever I hear or read the word friendship. Its one of my favorite films; so far I've collected 3 of the posters & several dozen lobby cards.

I've read that Michael Blake is working on bringing the sequel The Holy Road to the screen (I don't think Costner is involved though). I haven't read the book, but I've got mixed feelings about a sequel.
http://www.ozcraft.com/scifidu/dances/danc_kss.jpg

Amadeus 02-22-03 08:31 PM

Originally posted by NavinJohnson
Nice thread Amadeus. :up:
Thanks. :) As for a sequel, dear god i hope not.

Samuel 02-22-03 10:59 PM

Better than the book! Which is rare with these types of stories, a lot of times they don't come off too authentic. You can tell the people involved in making Dances with Wolves really had passion for the story they were telling. My all time favorite movie.

thecrazydude 02-22-03 11:15 PM

A Masterpiece!!

Amadeus 02-23-03 12:09 AM

Originally posted by thecrazydude
A Masterpiece!!
Yep. :)

Ginwen 02-23-03 01:04 AM

I liked it the first time I saw it, but I've seen it since and found it quite cringeworthy. So average, at best.

Thingamajig 02-23-03 04:25 AM

I'm a sucker for a good score, and this movie has a FANTASTIC one. When I think of this movie, music fills my head way before the image of John on the horse in the battlefield. I like Costner movies also. Robin Hood: POT, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, Silverado, Waterworld, The Postman, Dragonfly, JFK, The Bodyguard, The Untouchables, Tin Cup, Wyatt Earp, why does he get a bad rap?

Amadeus 02-23-03 08:22 AM

OH MY GOD! This thread is still open! :eek: Thank You God. :)

Kashmir 02-23-03 10:09 AM

GARBAGE

siberianhusky 02-23-03 10:32 AM

Originally posted by movielib
I also voted the long version is even better. While I might stop short of calling it a masterpiece, it is a very, very good film.
:thumbsup:

McHawkson 02-23-03 11:12 AM

I have enjoyed the movie lot. I wouldn't call it "Masterpiece" or "An Average Film," but it's very powerful film about America Natives. It made me feel much more respect for America Native people.

I've read Michael Blake's novel, I think the book is way better than film.

Goldberg74 02-23-03 03:18 PM

I watched it once... pure garbage... I almost walked out...

Can't stand Costner (but I won't bash him)... the only part I even remember was when Robert Pastorelli kept eating those pickled eggs and tooting...

I have never and will never own this movie, let alone watch it again.