Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you love but never seen the sequel

Old 02-21-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies you love but never seen the sequel

I was thinking about this today when I saw the commercial for Legally Blonde 2 and realized that I thought the first one was great, but had no desire at all to see this sequel and probably won't see it and realized there are a few movies that I absolutely love, but my love for that movie cannot bring me to watch the sequel, because I have heard so many bad things about the sequels for these movies. If I actually thought about it, there are probably quite a few, but off the top of my head...

Any direct to video Disney movie that serves as a sequel to a theatrical release. I will never watch these. I was going to make an exception for Toy Story 2, but was glad to see they upgraded that one to a theatrical release!

Airplane 2. The first one is a ground breaking, brilliant comedy movie, the total opposite of what I have heard Airplane 2 to be.

Ghostbusters 2. It's not bad buzz, I guess I have heard good things about it, but I still have yet to see it.

Back to the Future 3. I will actually probably get around to watching it...someday, since I got it in the BTTF box set, but it's not one I have a desire to see right a way, that's for sure.

Superman 3 and 4. I think I did see 3 a long, long time ago, but I have no real recollection of it, just a distant, bad memory that I think I have tried to supress for all my adult life, and may come out as I get older, but as a result, I could never bring myself to watch 4, not even in part.

Batman and Robin. Never have, never will.

Fierce Creatures. I will actually probably get around to buying this, especially since the region 2 version is anamorphic widescreen, but I have put it off for a long time becuase I heard it could not compare to A Fish Called Wanda, but I have also heard enough good things to make me interested.

And I think I heard something about a sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show a few times, but it's something I never even tried to look into because of how awful it sounded. Or I might be thinking of another movie.
Old 02-21-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cityslickers
Old 02-21-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Blues Brothers. Why mess with perfection?
Old 02-22-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Movies you love but never seen the sequel

Originally posted by calhoun07
Superman 3 and 4. I think I did see 3 a long, long time ago, but I have no real recollection of it, just a distant, bad memory that I think I have tried to supress for all my adult life, and may come out as I get older, but as a result, I could never bring myself to watch 4, not even in part.
4 was a bad movie, but 3 was idiotic.

I've seen The Wizard of Oz many times, but never saw Return to Oz with Fairuza pirahna-puss.

Honk!
Old 02-22-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Off the top of my head, Robocop & Silence of the Lambs.

And there are plenty of others that I only *wish* I hadn't seen the sequel.
Old 02-22-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Bring it On 2" Just knowing this is coming out gives me the chills

WHY?

Never saw "Batman & Robin" either.....from what i hear, i am a very lucky SOB.
Old 02-22-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will never see Bring It On 2

Have no desire but am willing to watch: Men In Black 2
Old 02-22-03, 07:34 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

How about the other way around? I saw Mission: Impossible 2, in fact, I own it, but I've never seen Mission: Impossible.
Old 02-22-03, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Iron Chef
The Blues Brothers. Why mess with perfection?
Old 02-22-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goat3001
Will never see Bring It On 2

Have no desire but am willing to watch: Men In Black 2
Don't bother. I saw it in the theatere and wept for the memory of the first one, which I consider near scifi/comedy perfection.

Imagine if you will a three hour MIB epic movie, that is half great, half crap. Take the good half and cut into one movie. That was the first a few years ago. Years later, take the bad half and put it out. That was MIIB.

I refuse to see Blues Bros 2.

I saw the first three Batmans in the theater, but after the third, I refused to see the fourth. Didn't even rent it. Caught it sometime last year on cable and couldn't watch more than 10 minutes.

Ghostbusters 2 isn't totally bad, it's just I recall there being episodes of the old cartoon that were 10 times better.
Old 02-22-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

dumb and dumber is one of my favorites. gets me rolling even after 40+ viewings. but i'm not sure about the sequal. no jim carrey, no jeff daniels, no farrelly brothers. that's three strikes baby.
Old 02-22-03, 02:30 PM

will not watch dumb and dumberer
have not watched any crow sequel but the original gets repeat viewings
have not seen the robocop, austin powers, or ninja tutrles sequels.
Old 02-22-03, 04:16 PM

Jaws. Loved the original so much, no way am I going to let the sequels bring me down.
Old 02-22-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More American Grafitti
Robocop 2 & 3
Police Academy 2 through 100
mannequin 2
Old 02-22-03, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by the narrator

Police Academy 2 through 100
Make that 101.Another ones on the way, it's going to be called "Police Academy 101: Were still in training even though we should have been done with this back in '84".
Old 02-22-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Highlander springs immediately to mind. The Sickening was such a hotly-debated debacle on the nets back in '92 that I never bothered.

As far as Bring It On... it's not like the original was some great classic or anything. Its value lies in two little words: Eliza Bushku.

I don't do Disney sequels anymore, save for TS2. Those made-for-video POS's can just rot like semi-digested meat on a maggot-ridden fecal pile. In August.

And Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring was such a perfect movie that I would never sully its memory by some sequel...
Old 02-22-03, 07:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Caddyshack
Old 02-23-03, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-23-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too many to mention I'm sure - especially with a lot of the made-for-TV sequels, but a few that immediately came to mind are:

Mister Roberts
The Jerk
Slap Shot
The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape
Old 02-23-03, 05:59 PM

Many already mentioned above, but I'll add two more:

Another Stakeout
Wayne's World 2

I really liked the originals and figured the sequels would be disappointing.
Old 02-23-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunetly I have seen alot of crappy sequels, especially Blue Bros 2000

I do NOT plan on seeing Charlies Angels 2, When Harry Met Lloyd (but it does have Eugene Levy & Mimi Rogers, hmmm).

2 Fast 2 Furious ($1 theater here I come), Whole Ten Yards (Dont think so) blah blah blah
Old 02-23-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jaws
Gremlins
and I haven't seen anything past the first two Alien movies, though I liked both of those a lot
Old 02-23-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been curious about Blues Brothers 2k, but I'm seriously worried it'll destroy my absolute love of the original.

And how could they make a sequel to The Great Escape?? They break out again??
Old 02-24-03, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Movies you love but never seen the sequel

Originally posted by calhoun07
Airplane 2. The first one is a ground breaking, brilliant comedy movie, the total opposite of what I have heard Airplane 2 to be.

I think you're missing out here. The second was not as funny, but it was still pretty great (see Julie Haggarty's line about being out of coffee). Also the William Shatner role is pretty damn hilarious too.

Ghostbusters 2. It's not bad buzz, I guess I have heard good things about it, but I still have yet to see it.

Eh- it is okay but nothing near the original. Kind of garaunteed there would not be a third.

Back to the Future 3. I will actually probably get around to watching it...someday, since I got it in the BTTF box set, but it's not one I have a desire to see right a way, that's for sure.

While not as good as part 1 or 2, you MUST see the 3rd! I mean the story doesn't END at 2. It leaves a major cliff-hanger out there. 3 is worth it just to have everything tied up (oh and the ZZ Top cameo).

Ick - 4 was awful. Stunt casting Richard Pryor in 3 and the contract dispute with Margot Kidder in 4 was the too-late-in-coming death of this franchise.

Batman and Robin. Never have, never will.

Same here. Batman Forever was pushing it IMHO.

Fierce Creatures. I will actually probably get around to buying this, especially since the region 2 version is anamorphic widescreen, but I have put it off for a long time becuase I heard it could not compare to A Fish Called Wanda, but I have also heard enough good things to make me interested.

Techincally this is NOT a sequel. Same actors, different characters. Would kinda be like saying Best in Show is a sequel to Waiting for Guffman.

And I think I heard something about a sequel to Rocky Horror Picture Show a few times, but it's something I never even tried to look into because of how awful it sounded. Or I might be thinking of another movie.
No such animal was ever produced. I believe Richard O'Brien is still working on the script for the sequel to the STAGE show. It is as yet untitled.

My favorite in this category is Grease 2. I have never seen it. I remember Siskel & Ebert saying that the only good thing about Grease 2 is that they close down Rydell High at the end of it - making it impossible to make a Grease 3.

BTW - When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb and Dumberer is actually a PREQUEL to Dumb and Dumber. Ick on both accounts.

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-24-03 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-24-03, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by ToddSm66
Too many to mention I'm sure - especially with a lot of the made-for-TV sequels, but a few that immediately came to mind are:

Mister Roberts
The Jerk
The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape
Wow, I didn't even know there were sequels made to any of these, so I had to look them all up.

The Great Escape II: The Untold Story (1988 TV movie) starring Christopher Reeve, Judd Hirsch, and Donald Pleasance!

The Jerk Too (1984 TV movie) starring the guy who played Blinkin' in Robin Hood: Men in Tights as Navin Johnson.

The Dirty Dozen was followed by not one, not two, but THREE made for TV sequels in the 80s. In the first, Lee Marvin returned to play the lead role, but was subsequently replaced by Telly Savalas.

And this one was the most disheartening for me, an entire sequel to Mister Roberts devoted to Ensign Pulver. Geez.

I didn't know there were so many made-for-TV sequels--we could probably have a whole thread just about those!

Other thoughts:
Airplane 2 is really as bad as you've heard it is.
Ghostbusters 2 is very underrated, IMO.
Wayne's World 2 was surprisingly good, I'd say right on par with the original.

We have (as usual) many sequels coming out this year; I'm actually looking forward to T3, LOTR: ROTK, both sequels of The Matrix and yes, even the long-awaited Freddy vs. Jason.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.