Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Theater sued for pre-movie commercials

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Theater sued for pre-movie commercials

Old 02-22-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sometimes annoys me with the commercials, since I try to see the film in the afternoon and then make a later meeting. This has been difficult at times. In addition, I wish they did not dim the lights so I could continue reading the book I read while awaiting the feature. Honestly, film is an industry whether we like it or not, it pays peoples rent, food and clothing. This includes all people from the ticket salesman at the theater to the director of the film. I hope that this does not make the life difficult for the many as health insurance has become increasingly more expensive and harder to obtain for the many with lower income. We will probably see a note on the theater ticket soon that states;

"WARNING! The film does not start at the assigned moment, which is stated in the theater or in any other media advertising the theaters screening of the film you have chosen to view. Lost time will not be compensated for and bear in mind that if you find this stressful it might affect your health and you do not have infinite amount of time in a state of living life.

Cheers ,

DVD Smurf

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 02-22-03 at 05:12 AM.
Old 02-22-03, 01:26 PM

Commercials in theaters REALLY annoy me. When I first went to Europe in the early and mid 1990s I hated that they showed commercials before the film and thanked the heavens that it wasn't being done here at the time. Now you arrive early to get a good seat and you're barraged with loud and obnoxious Pepsi ads, stupid ads for movie tickets.com and other stuff that becomes VERY annoying, esp. the second time around. I don't mind trailers, since they're literally part of the movie experience and since they're advertising actual movies but if I pay $10 to see a film and still get sideswiped by commercials, I'm irritated. I am one who hopes at the very leat the lawsuit sends a strong message to exhibitors and at best allows us a commercial free existance in a form of entertainment we are paying more and more to see.
Old 02-24-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They annoy me, too. But this is part of why I like going with someone. I talk to that person(s) until the actual movie starts.

With my wife we talk about whatever. But usually I go with a quadripelegic family member. We need to arrive ASAP in order to get wheelchair seating and me a seat right next to him. We are both film buffs so we spend most of the time before and after critiquing everything. (the last movie we saw, the commercials, the stupid parents with a 5 year old at R action flicks, etc.) So we end up sitting for 20 minutes until the lights go down, and however long after that before the flick gets going. Was LOTR TTT really 20 minutes of sh**? I don't remember that, but who knows.

Hardly seems lawsuit worthy, even if it's annoying.
Old 02-24-03, 08:39 PM

What the hell is wrong with people!
Old 02-28-03, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Went to the movies once last year and they showed the preview for Rules of Attraction 3 times in a row!!!

I swear!!
Old 02-28-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the commercials are shown by the theater and not the studio. As I understand it the theater pays 90% or more of the box office to the studio and is supposed to make money on the concession stand and pre-movie commercials. I guess it's a necessary evil considering the fact movies are pretty expensive to make.
Old 02-28-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All of this raises an interesting point... if we can sue to try and "get back our time" wasted watching advertisements in a movie theater, couldn't we extend the same argument to everything from cable TV (we pay for MTV, and yet they inundate us with commercials and product sponsorships), to grocery stores (display signs, checkout-line TV's), to driving on the highway (billboards, mobile advertising, bumper stickers)... to whatever we want? The list goes on and on.

I personally hate, hate, HATE commercials tacked on to the beginning of movies... part of the reason that I pay $10 per ticket is for the movie-going experience, which does not in any way involve my being bombarded with obnoxious commercials. But I do not think that it is a litigous offense.

So what is the correct response? What can we as consumers do to protest this egregious waste of our time?
Old 02-28-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
state your dislike of the ad's to the management and purchase stuff from the concession stand. Supports them so they don't have to air so many ad's to cover cost. Also watch a movie a few weeks into it's run when more % goes to the theater instead of the studio
Old 02-28-03, 07:37 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
We will probably see a note on the theater ticket soon that states;

"WARNING! The film does not start at the assigned moment, which is stated in the theater or in any other media advertising the theaters screening of the film you have chosen to view. Lost time will not be compensated for and bear in mind that if you find this stressful it might affect your health and you do not have infinite amount of time in a state of living life.
The Carmike chain has actually just added the following to their website showtimes (funny, I wonder why?):

"All Show Times Include Pre-Show Content"
Old 03-02-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Harkins in Arizona didn't show commercials before the previews last night. They used to... maybe this lawsuit scares them.