DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   is anyone going to see "The Life of David Gale"? What's the buzz over it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/272761-anyone-going-see-life-david-gale-whats-buzz-over.html)

Aaron Amos 02-19-03 10:33 PM

is anyone going to see "The Life of David Gale"? What's the buzz over it?

is anyone here going to this new kevin spacey movie ?what's the buzz over it(if any)? how well will it do against daredevil?

The Nature Boy 02-19-03 10:39 PM

The last preview I saw got me a bit more jazzed to check it out. I do remember laughing out loud at the trailer the first time I saw it. It seemed to parody a TV movie. 3 days to clear a guy on death row? Ridculous. But now I'm a little more interested. My biggest qualm is the release date. The way I figure, this seems like an "actor-y" showcase drama type film, and those of any quality usually don't get released between January 1st and April 1st. Most hold for some sort of an Oscar push or counter programming. But given the dreck in the theaters, I may just take a chance on it. But I won't be there opening night, and if I miss it, so be it.

evenflow 02-20-03 12:42 AM

-rolleyes-

Seantn 02-20-03 01:08 AM

My biggest qualm is the release date.
Unless you work for the studio, you really shouldn't care.

funkyryno 02-20-03 03:43 AM

What's up with the Mr. Rollseyes?

Ebert gave this movie ZERO stars. It looks like this movie actually pissed him off.

Seantn 02-20-03 04:34 AM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/images/...olleyesold.gif

The Nature Boy 02-20-03 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Seantn
Unless you work for the studio, you really shouldn't care.
Well I do care, since I know they usually dump inventory in these craptacular months. I can think of very few films worth seeing released in these months, but there can and will be the occassional exception. Silence of the Lambs was released in January, being the most prominent one to spring to mind. Unless it's a hardcore indy film getting a release, like "May", the studios have conditioned me to be suspect of what they put out in these months, because the track record for quality films simply doesn't exist.

Geofferson 02-20-03 08:13 AM

I have 0 interest in seeing this movie.

Dr. DVD 02-20-03 08:28 AM

THe only way for this film to work, IMO, is for one of the following two things to happen:
ONLY SPECULATION, SO NOT SPOILERS

1)He actually dies

2) He really did do it and goes free.

Of course this being Hollywood, I see one of the following two things happening.

1)He really did do it, but he gets his just deserves by dying.

2) He LIVES!!!!

Saxofonix 02-20-03 10:09 AM

I have a nagging suspicion that the trailer gives away far too much of the plot, and there will be little surprise left.

The other thing that bothers me, is that this is going to be a Movie About Issues .. like Dead Man Walking .. which I hated.

hgar78 02-20-03 10:28 AM

i really like kevin spacey and kate winslett so i'd like to see it for them but it doesnt look great. if i make it to the theater then great, if not, i wont be disappointed.

Simpson Purist 02-20-03 10:39 AM

Originally posted by funkyryno
What's up with the Mr. Rollseyes?

Ebert gave this movie ZERO stars. It looks like this movie actually pissed him off.

Is this true? I can't believe a Kevin Spacey/Kate Winslet movie would be capable of getting zero stars from any critic, no matter how bad it is.

Shemp 02-20-03 11:42 AM

The latest edition of Premiere magazine has a review and the critic there also gave it zero stars. It sounded like this movie made him mad also.

A colleague of mine saw this a few weeks ago. He said the trailer doesn't really give too much away, but the movie itself is rather dull. If anything, he said, the trailer makes it look more exciting than it really is...which is often the goal of trailers, I suppose.

B.A. 02-20-03 11:59 AM

I think I will rent it only because of Kate Winslet and Laura Linney. I haven't watched a Kevin Spacey movie (I think) since he won an Oscar for American Beauty. He is making films that really have no appeal for me, such as this one, except for the two reasons mentioned above.

Pants 02-20-03 12:43 PM

I can't believe Hollywood would make a piece of crap like this. Havn't they seen The Player? Dean Stockwell pitches THE EXACT SAME MOVIE to Tim Robbins. It was called Habius Corpus.

Groucho 02-20-03 12:50 PM

-rolleyes-

I personally think the whole "Capital Punishment" sub-genre has been done to death (no pun intended).

conscience 02-20-03 01:45 PM

I will not respect a reviewer who gives zero stars just because it made him/her mad. That is the most ridiculous answer I have ever heard of. If it causes emotion (what movies are supposed to do) like that, it should get some kind "rating"

Now I must go read Ebert's review to see what he is really trying to say.

There must be more reasons than it just made him mad, he doesn't write for Entertainment Weekly.

I will see this film, because I like the actors involved. And I am sure at least the acting will do justice.

Pants 02-20-03 02:41 PM

sounds like a totally unartistic polemic rant. The filmic version of the Other Forum. This years John Q

Dr. DVD 02-20-03 03:04 PM

Any links to Ebert's or the other reviews? Rottentomatoes doesn't have it posted as of yet.

Caoimhin 02-20-03 03:17 PM

After the heinous reviews I've read, it's unlikely that I'll see it, at least in the theatre. That being said, can someone spoilerize the ending that seems to have polarized most of the viewing audience? Half say it's riveting and the other half says it undermines the entire purpose of the film and is completely devoid of value.

Simpson Purist 02-20-03 03:17 PM

I just find it hilarious that this movie would get worse reviews than Pluto Nash, Swept Away, and Scooby Doo combined.

Shonn 02-20-03 11:02 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
THe only way for this film to work, IMO, is for one of the following two things to happen:
ONLY SPECULATION, SO NOT SPOILERS

2) He really did do it and goes free.

I was thinking the same thing but would have added that he also kills Kate Winslett after he is let out.

tanman 02-21-03 01:12 AM

I guess Kevin Spacey has a right to a couple of bombs.
I was looking forward to this one too.

Geofferson 02-21-03 08:06 AM

Here's the link to Ebert's (now-infamous) 0-star review:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert...-david21f.html

Amadeus 02-21-03 08:12 AM

is anyone going to see "The Life of David Gale"?

No.