Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Powerpuff Girls movie... cameo Jay and Silent Bob?

Old 02-17-03, 02:14 PM

Powerpuff Girls movie... cameo Jay and Silent Bob?

Heya Gang...

Okay, I only saw this movie because I have two young(ish) kids, (my sons are three and eight years old...), but has anyone noticed that Jay and Silent Bob seem to make an appearance in this flick?

There are a couple of crowd scenes where a pair of guys is shown; one is tall, thin, blonde with pony-tail style hair, the other is short, "more round", shall we say, with dark hair. And only the tall, thin one speaks. They show up at least twice in the movie, both times shown standing side-by-side. I was just wondering if anyone else caught this. Seems like a nod to Jay and Silent Bob, but haven't read about it anywhere. It's very fast, mind you... you could easily miss it if you weren't looking for it.

Best place to pick them out is near the end of the movie, where the townspeople are telling the girls how much they're appreciated. Anyone else notice this?
Old 02-17-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd answer your question, but since you appear to think animation is only for kids, you don't deserve it.
Old 02-17-03, 03:00 PM

Cal...

Jumping to conclusions is silly. 'Nuff said.
Old 02-17-03, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
pics?
Old 02-17-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It DOES look a lot like them.. I remember that clearly.
Old 02-17-03, 03:35 PM

Skywalker -
Figured you would appreciate an answer of the non "sassback" variety.

The TV series has a TON of movie references aimed above the kids' heads. I personally have seen 2 Big Lebowski jokes, a NOTLD gag, a Godfather reference or two, and a whole slew of Star Wars bits.

I have yet to watch the movie (although my wife bought it for me for Valentines Day), cuz I first wanted to see if there was a Widescreen version available, but I know for a fact that the characters in question ARE a nod to J&SB.

And as an extra bit of trivia; the guy who does Mojo Jojo's voice is the "Hello Sidney..." voice from the Scream movies.
Old 02-17-03, 03:53 PM

jmclemore...

Thanks! Much appreciated.... I was googling for quite a while trying to find a confirmation, still haven't. I was pretty sure it was supposed to be them, but...

Anyway, I got a good laugh out of it. Thanks again! I too was hoping to find the WS version, but as my kids don't care all that much, I caved and bought them the current release.

Ah, well... they're already WS converts, so no worries there. (Pretty good when my seven-year-old can tell newbs in WalMart why they should be buying WS.... )

P.S. For those noticing, I forgot my older son is not yet eight... his birthday isn't until March. Sometimes I forget, as he's sharp as a tack...

Last edited by Skywa|ker; 02-17-03 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When a WS version of this movie comes out then i will pick it up and look out for Jay "Phat Buds" and Lunchbox.

Untill then, i shall take your word on it.
Old 02-17-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jmclemore
Skywalker -
Figured you would appreciate an answer of the non "sassback" variety.

The TV series has a TON of movie references aimed above the kids' heads. I personally have seen 2 Big Lebowski jokes, a NOTLD gag, a Godfather reference or two, and a whole slew of Star Wars bits.
Don't forget the episode which was entirely devoted to the Beatles, great stuff.