Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Casablanca question

Old 02-17-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Casablanca question

I finally got a library card and am now trying to check out a lot of classic movies that I've never seen before. This weekend I saw Casablanca for the first time (I know) and loved it. I was interupted several times, though, and wondered if I missed something: was it ever explained in the movie why Rick couldn't go back to the States? Thanks.
Old 02-17-03, 06:24 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think it was ever explained - he does allude to allying himself with the communists in the Spanish civil war though.
Old 02-17-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never explained. There's a sequel treatment where Rick is practically a secret agent.
Old 02-18-03, 06:36 AM

I'd like to think he killed somebody. It's the romantic in me.
J
Old 02-18-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure if I missed something or not. My inclination was that it was a political thing (mainly because he fought with the fascists in Spain).
Old 02-18-03, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by DJLinus
Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure if I missed something or not. My inclination was that it was a political thing (mainly because he fought with the fascists in Spain).
Against the Fascists!

I'm partial to the "Senator's wife" theory, myself...
Old 02-18-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wendersfan
Against the Fascists!
Whoops. My bad - it was a late night and early morning.
Old 02-18-03, 11:49 AM

Whoops. My bad - it was a late night and early morning.
Don't sweat it; it was an easy mistake to make.

Did you get it from the Columbus Public Library? You should check out the Worthington Library - their film section is fantastic.

(Sorry about the slight threadcrap there)
Old 02-18-03, 11:58 AM

I imagine his situation is similar to Roman Polanski's.
Old 02-18-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by wendersfan
Did you get it from the Columbus Public Library? You should check out the Worthington Library - their film section is fantastic.
I think all the Columbus metro libraries are connected and loan items among themselves - they call themselves "Discovery Place Libraries." Anyway, I've been reserving books, CDs and movies online and picking them up from the Northwest library (kind of off of Sawmill). Their actual DVD selection pretty much sucks when I browse there - maybe everything good's checked out, though. I'll have to look into Worthington library. Considering that's where I live, it's probably closer to me. Northwest is on the way to California Fitness so I'll pick up my reserves before I work out. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-18-03, 12:31 PM

I think all the Columbus metro libraries are connected and loan items among themselves - they call themselves "Discovery Place Libraries." Anyway, I've been reserving books, CDs and movies online and picking them up from the Northwest library (kind of off of Sawmill). Their actual DVD selection pretty much sucks when I browse there - maybe everything good's checked out, though. I'll have to look into Worthington library. Considering that's where I live, it's probably closer to me. Northwest is on the way to California Fitness so I'll pick up my reserves before I work out. Thanks for the heads-up.
I just realized that I meant to say it's the Upper Arlington library that has the great A/V section, not the Worthington library. The UA library (it's on Tremont, BTW) is not one of the Discovery Place libraries, but any central Ohio resident can get a card from there. Sorry about the confusion...